7 1/2 Years...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 1/2 Years...

Lightbulb 7 1/2 Years...

stole this elsewhere but it is worth a thought...

7 1/2 YEARS

TO ALL MY FRIENDS....LIBERAL OR CONSERVATIVE...FYI only.

George Bush has been in office for 7 1/2 years. The first six the economy was fine.

A little over one year ago:
    1) Consumer confidence stood at a 2 1/2 year high;
    2) Regular gasoline sold for $2.19 a gallon;
    3) the unemployment rate was 4.5%.
    4) the DOW JONES hit a record high--14,000 +
    5) American's were buying new cars,taking cruises, vacations overseas, living large!...

But American's wanted 'CHANGE'! So, in 2006 they voted in a Democratic Congress and yes--we got 'CHANGE' all right. In the PAST YEAR:

1) Consumer confidence has plummeted;
    2) Gasoline is now over $4 a gallon & climbing!;
    3) Unemployment is up to 5.5% (a 10% increase);
    4) Americans have seen their home equity drop by $12 TRILLION DOLLARS and prices still dropping;
    5) 1% of American homes are in foreclosure.
    6) as I write, THE DOW is probing another low~~
    $2.5 TRILLION DOLLARS HAS EVAPORATED FROM THEIR STOCKS, BONDS & MUTUAL FUNDS INVESTMENT PORTFOLIOS!

YES, IN 2006 AMERICA VOTED FOR CHANGE...AND WE SURE GOT IT! ...

REMEMBER THE PRESIDENT HAS NO CONTROL OVER ANY OF THESE ISSUES, ONLY CONGRESS.

AND WHAT HAS CONGRESS DONE IN THE LAST TWO YEARS, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

NOW THE DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT CLAIMS HE IS GOING TO REALLY GIVE US CHANGE ALONG WITH A DEMOCRATIC CONGRESS!!!!

JUST HOW MUCH MORE 'CHANGE' DO YOU THINK YOU CAN STAND?

I've seen this in various forms, and my response has always been that George Bush is to blame because he, not Congress, is the leader of the country. A good leader gets good results regardless of which party controls Congress. For example, a Democratic-controlled house did not stop Ronald Reagan from winning the Cold War. Ronald Reagan was a great leader and that's why, despite the Democratic-controlled House, he was able to get results. The current state of the economy can't be blamed on the Democratic Congress, but on the failure of the president to be a leader. If Ronald Reagan were in charge today, the Democratic Congress would not have stopped him from getting things done.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    ...Ronald Reagan was a great leader...
    I find this attitude amazing. During the '80s and '90s RWR was hated; you couldn't find a positive word about him anywhere outside of the right-wing press. Somehow, after his disability and death he was 'rehabilitated' into a great statesman.

I grew up in California and remember his election and time as governor. He was not considered a particularly astute governor. That he was by far the better choice in 1980 (Carter had been disastrous and was running for reelection) was obvious to most voters.

Perhaps the worst feature of the Reagan administration was introducing the Bush dynasty to US politics. Without having been VP--it's doubtful GHWB would have ever been considered for President.

ETA: I remember "National Review" running articles blaming Reagan for Ford's loss in1976 but I couldn't find any links--One I really wanted to find from the magazine, but couldn't, was a poem parody of 'The Raven' (I still recall the tagline "Quoth the Reagan 'Never, never Ford'")

The only versions I could find were much later--1980s and were all Democratic links.
    Last edited by NDS; 10-26-2008 at 08:51 PM.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

That's truly unfortunate, but here's how I look at it. Were it not for President Reagan, who knows how much longer the Cold War would have dragged on? If it were still going on by September 2001, I shudder to think about fighting it and the War on Terror at the same time. We need to thank God that Ronald Reagan was president when he was.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    That's truly unfortunate, but here's how I look at it. Were it not for President Reagan, who knows how much longer the Cold War would have dragged on? If it were still going on by September 2001, I shudder to think about fighting it and the War on Terror at the same time. We need to thank God that Ronald Reagan was president when he was.
    That's what I think most people are looking at in retrospect. Keeping in mind that hindsight is 20/20 Reagan's cold war strategy was hated by the American left. Go back to this period and look for a Democrat criticizing the Soviet leadership. It's not there. I remember Bella Abzug D-NY refusing to say anyting negative about Joseph Stalin in an interview--a fact picked up by the conservative press and referred to for quite some time. The fact that Reagan's policies bankrupted the Soviet Union is now accepted by most historians and politicians, but at the time nobody believed it. Had he not been President, the world would most likely be a very different (worse) place.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    That's what I think most people are looking at in retrospect. Keeping in mind that hindsight is 20/20 Reagan's cold war strategy was hated by the American left. Go back to this period and look for a Democrat criticizing the Soviet leadership. It's not there. I remember Bella Abzug D-NY refusing to say anyting negative about Joseph Stalin in an interview--a fact picked up by the conservative press and referred to for quite some time. The fact that Reagan's policies bankrupted the Soviet Union is now accepted by most historians and politicians, but at the time nobody believed it. Had he not been President, the world would most likely be a very different (worse) place.
    Post count, post count, post count, eh?

I am in my 20s (won't say exactly how old, though), but Reagan has definitely been the greatest president of my lifetime (Carter was the worst). As for your comment that hindsight is 20/20, you're absolutely. As much as I cringe at the possibility, it is quite possible that 50 years from now, the same liberals who revile Bush may very well revere him if Iraq turns out well. Today, however, that is impossible to predict.

boyzoi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    I had the great mis-fortune of meeting Bella Abzug...........by far one of the most ignorant people Ive met so far.....IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by boyzoi View Post
    I had the great mis-fortune of meeting Bella Abzug...........by far one of the most ignorant people Ive met so far.....IMHO
    Let's keep in mind that he is from the PRNY, where support for all things liberal and left wing is fashionable.

boyzoi Guest

Cool

SHE..........

Quote Originally Posted by boyzoi View Post
    SHE..........
    Huh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast