History lesson for today The Unanimous Declaration - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: History lesson for today The Unanimous Declaration

Quote Originally Posted by HK4U View Post
    And the Constitution also. If you took a survey of high school students today a vast majority have never read either.
    Absolutely should be part of curriculum!!!

wolfhunter Guest
    The Declaration, Constitution, Bill of Rights, and the Federalist Papers. A whole year's curriculum.

Sometimes it seems that schools spend more time on Miranda Rights than the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights combined!!
    The more I practice, the 'luckier' I get!

Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    Sometimes it seems that schools spend more time on Miranda Rights than the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights combined!!
    Not even that! Ever since the passage of No Child Left Behind, more and more schools seem to be focused on teaching students what is on the battery of standardized tests that they are now taking, and not focusing on fundamentals, like the Declaration, Constitution, and Bill of Rights.

wolfhunter Guest
    Tatt's right on this. Many school districst have gone from "the 3 R's plus Civics", to "How to Pass the Standardized Tests"

7. History

What do you expect when the History text books have eight pages on Marilyn Monroe and not even a paragraph on George Washington?
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Quote Originally Posted by wuzfuz View Post
    What do you expect when the History text books have eight pages on Marilyn Monroe and not even a paragraph on George Washington?
    Actually, that all depends on which textbooks are being used. Believe it or not, there are actually some good textbooks out there, ones that actually go in depth on stuff that actually matters, such as the Founding Fathers, the Civil War, and so on.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12