Do you know your neighbors? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you know your neighbors?

Quote Originally Posted by gpbarth View Post
    Ya know, I do Snopes checks all the time, and never did one on this site. Thanks, fellas. It just so happened that I did get a hit on one of my "neighbors" and that was enough to make me think the place was legit. I wonder where they do get their data from? Is it all "made up" or do they actually get some data from the law?
    It's meant to make fun of the idea of felon-tracking, because of the data-mining issues with keeping up with millions of people's current addresses. If you notice, it also links to similar sites, like this one that promotes dog fighting as a business opportunity.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

It would have been nice if Magicman had known that.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

4. Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    It would have been nice if Magicman had known that.

I agree. Maybe I'll start doing Snopes checks a bit more from now on. Thanks for the advice. :)

Quote Originally Posted by magicman007 View Post
    I agree. Maybe I'll start doing Snopes checks a bit more from now on. Thanks for the advice. :)
    I hope you did not take that personally. I just think that it helps to question the information you receive until you verify its authenticity. Not saying to be a cynic, but nevertheless, just be more careful.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

My favorite one has to be the old classic about AIDS needles on gas pump handles. It's a chain email sent around, warning of the dangers of infected needles stuck into gas pump handles. Most often, it's set in Jacksonville, and has lots of information from the "Jacksonville Police Department". That's great, but we don't have a "Police Department". Our boys and girls in blue are the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office. I've lived here my entire life and have yet to encounter a single needle stuck to a gas pump handle.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

Exclamation I agree!

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    I believe this is the site that is total fabrication. Conduct the same search 10 times and you will get 10 totally different results. It's fun but it's a joke.
    I tried and get different names and crimes every time. I think that we we need to reevaluate things for ourselves and not blindly trust the internet.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by gdcleanfun View Post
    Well, yeah! You bet I'm NOT going to tell anyone where to find a sex offender, or a felon. I'm a former Realtor from California. No Realtor in their right minds, Kalifornia or elsewhere, wants to take on this responsibility and then get sued when a site like this turns out be bogus, maybe, or sued for invading someone's privacy, or for what ever other reason someone thinks up for a law suit. What we ARE/WERE required to do is to let our clients know that they have the right to research this themselves. Too bad, though, that I never had a client do the research on their own and come back and tell me what they found. I'm not surprised, just sad!
    That's why you always do your own due diligence. Las Vegas is the only city where you're a few blocks away from a lawyer, mortgage agent, realtor or prostitute and sometimes it's very difficult to tell the difference and sometimes they're one in the same.
    BTW, only sex offenders are required to register in California under Megan's Law. No other felons are required to register in that state, as far as I know. Do other convicted felons have to register in other states, areas?
    Megan's or Aimee's Law is federal. All States have publicly accessible sex offender registries.
    Know the law; don't ask, don't tell.
    NRA & UT Certified Instructor; CT, FL, NH, NV, OR, PA & UT CCW Holder
    Happy new 1984; 25 years behind schedule. Send lawyers, guns and money...the SHTF...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12