Your ss # - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 32

Thread: Your ss #

  1. There are ways to get every number associated with you. There are sights on ther internet that (for a fee) can get your credit report, SS#, phone #, current and ALL previous addresses, nearest relatives to you (along with their names, DOB, etc.), your DOB, your employment history, your height, weight, eye color.... pretty much everything one would need to build an identity around your life. If it's on a computer somewhere, it's NOT secure. No matter WHAT the company tells you. Just look at the CC info that was stolen in the past year. And those were from wel encrypted and (supposedly) highly secure companies/sites. If they want it, they'll get it. And they can work around not having your SS# to do much of what they want anyway.

  2.   
  3. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,650
    Up until three or four years ago, in Indiana, SSNs got printed on driver's licenses and ID cards unless you requested that they did not. I lost my wallet back in 2006 and did think much about it until I tried switching my phone service from Comcast to AT&T last year and discovered that someone had opened an AT&T account in my name. While I have taken steps to ensure that I do not lose my wallet again (such as purchasing a chain to attach my wallet to my belt loops), I can't help but feel that this policy was dumb. I'm glad it was done away with.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

    Benjamin Franklin

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Battle Creek Mi
    Posts
    1,853
    Actually it is a violation of Federal law to require or even request your SS# as a requirement for any form not pertaining to the government.

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
    Actually it is a violation of Federal law to require or even request your SS# as a requirement for any form not pertaining to the government.
    Can you cite the law that says this? I'd be interested in knowing that because I've seen numerous forms (job applications, applications for utility service, etc) that asked for the SSN that did not in any way pertain to the government. The next time I'm filling out something that asks for a SSN and does not pertain to the government, I'll simply show the applicable persons a copy of it.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

    Benjamin Franklin

  6. Here's something I found from the Colorado AG's Office:

    Requests by businesses

    Federal law does not prohibit a merchant or other business from requesting your SSN. However, there is no state or federal law that requires you to provide your SSN to any entity not authorized by law to require it. Businesses, private agencies, etc. are free to request your SSN and use it for any purpose that does not violate state or federal law.

    For example, retail stores, prospective landlords, prospective employers, utility companies, and other service providers often ask you your SSN, but they do not need to and you are not required to give it. They can do a credit check or ID their customers by alternative means. Remember that you are under no obligation to provide your SSN to any merchant or other business. However, that merchant or other business is free to decline your business if you refuse to disclose your SSN. Consider asking these questions:
    Am I required by some law to provide my SSN?

    Why do they need my SSN?

    How will they use my SSN?

    Will they share my SSN with other businesses or agencies?

    What happens if I refuse to give them my SSN?

    Are there alternative means of identification they will accept?


    I found the same basic information on many other sites regarding SS #'s, but this was the first I found from a government site. Hope it helps.

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Drakes Creek, AR
    Posts
    371
    I use a made up phone number and add 55 to the begining of it..when they come back to me and say that there is a problem, I just say, "I agree"..
    DrLewall
    "Doc"
    Drakes Creeks, AR
    www.kiltsrock.com
    "A gun unloaded and cocked aint good for nuttin!"--Rooster Cogburn

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    4,650
    Quote Originally Posted by magicman007 View Post
    Here's something I found from the Colorado AG's Office:

    Requests by businesses

    Federal law does not prohibit a merchant or other business from requesting your SSN. However, there is no state or federal law that requires you to provide your SSN to any entity not authorized by law to require it. Businesses, private agencies, etc. are free to request your SSN and use it for any purpose that does not violate state or federal law.

    For example, retail stores, prospective landlords, prospective employers, utility companies, and other service providers often ask you your SSN, but they do not need to and you are not required to give it. They can do a credit check or ID their customers by alternative means. Remember that you are under no obligation to provide your SSN to any merchant or other business. However, that merchant or other business is free to decline your business if you refuse to disclose your SSN. Consider asking these questions:
    Am I required by some law to provide my SSN?

    Why do they need my SSN?

    How will they use my SSN?

    Will they share my SSN with other businesses or agencies?

    What happens if I refuse to give them my SSN?

    Are there alternative means of identification they will accept?


    I found the same basic information on many other sites regarding SS #'s, but this was the first I found from a government site. Hope it helps.
    Now I'm confused. First I see something that seems to suggest that if it's not government related, then I don't have to give it. Then I see something else that suggests that it can be asked for.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

    Benjamin Franklin

  9. Basically, I think it means there is no law that says you HAVE to give it to a non government entity. But if you don't, the entity is free to refuse you service.

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Southern New Hampshire
    Posts
    553
    From the start, I know IF someone wants it they're going to get it. MY main concern is trying to avoid giving it out (at work for forms, etc. when it is already on file!!) anymore the way things are now with people having more access to things etc. I'm still waiting like tattedupboy for an answer from Sheldon about the Federal Law.
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Battle Creek Mi
    Posts
    1,853
    Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Can you cite the law that says this? I'd be interested in knowing that because I've seen numerous forms (job applications, applications for utility service, etc) that asked for the SSN that did not in any way pertain to the government. The next time I'm filling out something that asks for a SSN and does not pertain to the government, I'll simply show the applicable persons a copy of it.
    I will try N find it, I on multiple occasions I have used the "You are in violation of federal law requesting" line only to be told to they did not need my SS# and were aware of the law forbidding. Your SS# is in fact federal property is only assigned to you, and in fact is treated as such by them. A state AG giving a opinion otherwise is out of their jurisdictions arena.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast