Your ss #
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your ss #

Your ss #

How many of you have a problem with writing down Your Social Security (SS) # when say filling out some sort of application whether it be a credit card that you're opening, form/s from work; first visit to a docotr, etc.?
    I went to open a credit card at HomoDepot to get the 10% off deal when I was doing a home project. I didn't fill in the area for the SS, but the girl did ask me for it when I handed the form to her. She said I did not have to fill it out on the paper BUT I still had to give it to her verbally as she typed it out into the computer.
    At work we are now having a random drug and alcohol testing starting the first of the year. One of the sample forms they showed us has an area for your SS. Me personally, do not want to put my SS in there. The way I see it is, Work already has it on file and I with me filling in another form with My # is just going to make it easier for someone to get ahold of it. I went throught this one time at work filling out a form. I left it empty and the manager asked me to fill it in. I told him I did not want to for it may get into the wrong hands. He tells me it is going to HR dept., which I replied, fine, they have My # on file already and I don't need to fill it in.....mail does get lost you know! In the end I had to fill it out .
    Now, if there is a form I do not fill in My # and wait to see if I'm asked.
    You may say "they" already have My # out there, but the way I see it is, the less I fill in My # from now on the less chances of it getting out there.
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

boyzoi Guest
    I dont give mine out.........I have a few credit cards, they asked I said no. I still got the cards.
    If there was a card that said I had to I woudl reply, no I dont, and if that means you dont issue the card, then so be it. I also will not fill in my mothers maiden name. yes my SS # is out there, but like you I figure if I fill it in on one more form that just increases the odds of it getting out.

The more places you list it, the more chances of having it "borrowed". It's bad enough having been in the military and having it spread all over during that time.

I am old enough to remember on my origional card it said "Not for identification purposes". Now it is often required for that. Just goes to show you can not believe the government.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Now I get an Insurance form to fill out for LTD (Long Term Dis.) from the Co. and it says on there...."you must fill in your complete name AND SS". If I leave out the SS I know the form will come back to me with a note saying I forgot to fill it out and also cause a problem if I refuse too. Unbelievable! Why can't the Co. HR dept. just go into my file and get it from there and fill it in themselves? Oh, because that's extra work for Them to do. Hmmm, fill it out myself, mail it back to Them and hope the mail does not get lost/OR in the wrong hands or leave that field blank and let Them fill it in.
    I think I will take a chance and leave it blank.
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

Quote Originally Posted by sambo42xa View Post
    Now I get an Insurance form to fill out for LTD (Long Term Dis.) from the Co. and it says on there...."you must fill in your complete name AND SS". If I leave out the SS I know the form will come back to me with a note saying I forgot to fill it out and also cause a problem if I refuse too. Unbelievable! Why can't the Co. HR dept. just go into my file and get it from there and fill it in themselves? Oh, because that's extra work for Them to do. Hmmm, fill it out myself, mail it back to Them and hope the mail does not get lost/OR in the wrong hands or leave that field blank and let Them fill it in.
    I think I will take a chance and leave it blank.
    You could wrie in the word "refused", "call applicant", or "on record with HR", etc. I imagine there's on "Privacy act of 1974" statement on the bottom of the document like most military documents. It would be nice if they told you why they need your ss# and what happens if you don't give it to them.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Found some interesting info HERE:....

My Social Security Number: How Secure Is It?

Personally, I no longer provide my SS# to non-governmental agencies.

I have always had a problem putting down my social security number, even more so since watching the movie, "Identity Theft: The Michelle Brown Story (which, by the way, was based on a true story)." Any time I can avoid it, I do. I do not want what happened to that woman to happen to me.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

I haven't had any problems "YET".

As long as you keep an eye on your credit report there should be no problems.

But again, that is just my opinion.
    "It was worth it all, for the Great Warrior"

Your SS number is fairly easy to obtain even if you don't give it out.

I work at a state institution where we handle literally thousands of people's numbers a week - along with all sorts of personal information. Current and previous addresses, DOBs, and a decent amount of insight into what is basically their life story. We use normal computers and it's all fed into a ticketing system that isn't particularly secure. I doubt we're the exception. A dishonest person could make a tremendous amount of money (and probably do a tremendous amount of jail time) with the information that we have floating around.

Interestingly, when asked for their SS#, 99% of people blurt it out without thinking. Once in a while, someone is hesitant about it. On an extremely rare occasion (as in, maybe once a year for me), someone adamantly refuses - in which case it's impossible to assist them, because the system is built on using their SS#. We can look it up using only their name and DOB, but it's still based on that number anyway.

As far as I know, everyone who I work with are honest people - but you don't know that when calling your insurance company, hospital, or even the Social Security office.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast