Fourteen Percent of U.S. adults are illliterate - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fourteen Percent of U.S. adults are illliterate

14 percent? that is pathetic! seriously it is hard to imagine how people can go through school and still not be able to read. sounds like more people need to be held back until they get it right.
    You can have my freedom as soon as I'm done with it!!!

3. Fourteen percent

Thank you, Tat, for this info. This just points up something I have always said. Someone came out with a book not too long ago, "Why Johnny Can't Read.' To go a step further, the article did not address functional illiteracy, people who technically can read, but don't comprehend what they have read. I graduated from high school in 1965, and I am 62 years old. When I was a kid in school. we were required to be able to name all 48 states, later 50, give their capitals and basically, their primary base, such as agriculture, manufacturing, etc. I was required to take Indiana History, American History, Math, English and more. Some things I found out later amazed me. College Freshmen who could not read 8th grade level books, Army field manuals that had to be printed in 6th grade leverl language, high school history books that do not mention George Washington, but devote 8 pages to Marilyn Monroe, college students who thought Iraq was near Gerogia or Mississippi. One reason for the terrible level of education in our country today is the litiginousness of the American public. Teacher holds Johnny back because he is a discipline problem and will not do the work, then the parents sue the teacher and the school system. Bang! No more kids held back. We have kids who hold a high school diploma simply because they sat therei for four years. I saw a T-shirt once, "Another Brilliant Mind Destroyed by the Indianapolis Public Schools." Welcome to the dumbing of America.
    Last edited by wuzfuz; 01-12-2009 at 11:20 AM.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Kinda scary!
    Patrons of this site are mostly weapons owners who choose to conceal their shooters, wondering how many can read the pages of federal or (biggy) state rules & regs that pertain to CCW laws or even the basic instuctions on clearing a shooter before blowing their nuts off/swap boobs (if female) because it said in bright red letters ALWAYS DOUBLE CHECK THE CHAMBER IS EMPTY BEFORE DRY FIRING THE WEAPON!, or variations on that theme.

Canis-Lupus

We homeschooled all 3 of ours.

My two oldest are in college. One of them is on the dean's list. My youngest is in 8th grade and can teach me advanced math. ABEKA puts out world class educational materials.

I was a product of public schools in Illinios. I had to re-learn a lot of stuff while I was in the USAF, (math for engineering issues, and sentence structure.)

Home school kids are a lot smarter than most IF the parents actually get involved. I am humbled by how incredibly smart kids are in general. They know everything from 13-18 years of age and will let you know that in any verbal joust!
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    Home school kids are a lot smarter than most IF the parents actually get involved. I am humbled by how incredibly smart kids are in general. They know everything from 13-18 years of age and will let you know that in any verbal joust!
    I have some friends who have a 5-year old. He's scarily intelligent/charismatic, and he talks other kids, adults and whoever happens to be around into doing or getting stuff for him. He delegates jobs out to people and goes around offering encouragement. The other day he came over and said, "Try your hardest! Just do your best, I know you can do it. C'mon buddy, let's get it done!"

He's pretty much like that 24/7 and I feel like I'm dealing with the reincarnation of Dale Carnegie. He's going to grow up to be a big deal one day - hopefully it will be for good.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

I think its possible that these numbers are correct (just look at the number of people who voted for The One). However, I'd like to see numbers from someone who isn't in the business of getting tax dollars for programs to deal with the problem they are reporting on.
    John - KJ4NSE
    Member NRA | GCO | GOA | SAF | ARRL
    Why would God invent something like whiskey? To keep the Irish from ruling the world of course.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsteele View Post
    I think its possible that these numbers are correct (just look at the number of people who voted for The One). However, I'd like to see numbers from someone who isn't in the business of getting tax dollars for programs to deal with the problem they are reporting on.
    That would probably show even worse numbers.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12