Atheists are at it again - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Atheists are at it again

People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Excellent posts Gary!!! Just the facts.... I like it!!

4. you know if the fact that we as americans in general acknowledge GOD in our everyday lives and at work bother some people they have alternatives...say like China or other places like that.Even our friends to the north Canada. Having no god (china) or strong restrictions (canada) seems to working well for them..maybe you should consider packing up and moving from this "backwards country that acknowledges GOD". Go ahead and move now and beat the rush!!!

Nobody has gotten to the freedom of speech aspect of this. If the atheists get their way and a judge rules that Obama can't say "so god help me," then aren't they they ones violating the Constitution by suppressing his freedom of speech? And suppose a court order does come down and he ignores it? What would the punishment be? And if he does ignore it, would the people bringing the suit try to have him thrown in jail for uttering God? Am I the only one who believes that this is just plain silly?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by fibertech View Post
    you know if the fact that we as americans in general acknowledge GOD in our everyday lives and at work bother some people they have alternatives...say like China or other places like that.Even our friends to the north Canada. Having no god (china) or strong restrictions (canada) seems to working well for them..maybe you should consider packing up and moving from this "backwards country that acknowledges GOD". Go ahead and move now and beat the rush!!!
    Very (in)tolerant. Agree with me or move--so much for not 'prohibiting free exercise'...

I believe the Amendment begins:
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion
    That means you don't get the preferential treatment you seem to think you deserve.

(picks popcorn back up, returns to couch)
    Last edited by NDS; 01-16-2009 at 09:32 AM.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

gpbarth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBoCook View Post
    Your right, it is of, not from. That's one of the few things the FF got wrong. Judeo Christian values? Ask a priest of the Catholic church who molests little boys how those values work. The country was founded on GOOD MORAL VALUES that happened to be written a book thousands of years ago that are followed by good human beings that had never read that book, before it was written and after it. It was a religious time when they wrote/created our country. I don't fault them for that. They did a good job with what they had.

10 commandments. Don't offend me. They are an excellent moral code to follow, whether in the context of a book, or just being a decent human being. You can display them in public, I think there are alot of christians that have forgotten or never read those in the first place that need to see them and learn what they mean and how to live their lives like the christians they claim to be.

This is not a personal attack against you. This is for those who claim to be christian, or hide behind that label, and use it rip people off for money (why does Yahweh need money?), guide their lives toward hate (Jews vs. Islam, vice versa, Islam against anyone not Islam, Atheist vs. Deism), Or use their position of church power to influence or harm others.

What "crawled up my butt" is that NO ONE should push their P.O.V. on anyone. ever heard of agree to disagree? And that people hide behind Judeo Christian values and books, but at the same time don't live by them.

I don't "approve" of priest child molesters any more than the next guy. And I don't approve of anyone doing immoral things and hiding behind the Christianity label. That being said:

Who is pushing Christianity on anyone when the president swears on a Bible and says "...so help me God."? Who is pushing Christianity on anyone when the 10 Commandments are displayed in a courthouse? Who is pushing Christianity on anyone by praying before a football game? No one has ever said that "you will do what we do, or else." I don't remember any Christian ever saying that if you don't like Christianity, you can leave this country.

So "In God We Trust" is on our currency. So what? So "...under God" is in our Pledge. So what? So there is a manger scene in the public square on Christmas. So what? What in God's name has you guys so pissed off? Why are you so offended by the mention of God? No one is making you bow to our God. No one is making you go to church. No one is making you tithe. No one is making you pray. Maybe you should be more concerned about Muslims who kill unbelievers. About countries whose faith (Islam) IS the government, whose women are 2nd-class citizens who can be legally killed for showing their faces or feet in public, or leave the house without permission.

That isn't America, and never will be. But this country was founded on Christian principles, and God will always be a part of it. And people like you are trying to remove that heritage because you personally don't believe it. And because its moral structure makes it wrong to do things you like to do.

This isn't the place to get into this argument, and I am now going to bow out. But crime is just a part of our moral decay in this country. Nothing is wrong anymore...it's all relative. If you like it, then it's alright. That's why we have wonderful video games like Grand Theft Auto, gratuitous sex all over TV, abortion on demand, and no education in our schools (except for condoms and abortions for our children). And it all started because someone didn't like God, and started to have Him excised from this country.

I live by my Christian values, I don't just quote them. And I stand by them, but I don't insist that you do.
    Last edited by gpbarth; 01-16-2009 at 09:33 AM.

Actually the first part of the 1st Amendment starts:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

To often today many people like to leave off the second half of that.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

Quote Originally Posted by gpbarth View Post
    I loved the part about "people getting killed" over converting to Christianity. OH, yes, a lot of Iraqis are dying over Christianity - their own families and "friends" are killing them because of the ISLAMIC belief that anyone who converts should die.

Christians have a belief that they (we) are to spread the faith throughout the world. There are missionaries in every country doing just that. This is common-place. The big difference is that Christians do not kill, threaten, beat or force anyone to convert to the Christian faith. You see, if you do not, of your own free will, accept Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior, then no one can force you to.

You have a problem with missionaries. Too bad. You think that no one should be prosthelyzing. Too bad. If I tried to tell you aboiut Jesus, and you didn't listen, who cares? But I'm not going to threaten you or harm you if you don't.

No one is "pushing" their Christian beliefs on anyone. People are presented with the information about Christianity, and may or may not accept it. But it isn't Christians who are killing Muslims - it is Muslims who are killing Christians. Nice try, but you have your facts all screwed up. You don't like missionaries? Sorry about that, but Christians will always be trying to spread the faith throughout the world. And you can take it or leave it.

I suggest you do some research about a person who is a SAINT. St. Olaf of Norway. He was a king that converted "Heathens" at the point of a sword, he was RUSHED into Sainthood right after his death. Never mind the Germanic Crusades where they were conquering the remnants of eastern europe in the same convert or die method as "The Holy Roman Empire".
    And as a rule, all the Abrahamic religions have a "spread the word and convert non-believers" clause. Just thankfully, America has not conformed to the "Convert or Die" that places like Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc.. have.
    Do not believe that all people, let alone all christians have the same tolerance the Bible teaches. Let alone that all people want to hear about it.

And I agree about the free speech aspect. Nobody should tell Obama, or anyone else for that matter, who they can swear to.

Quote Originally Posted by fibertech View Post
    you know if the fact that we as americans in general acknowledge GOD in our everyday lives and at work bother some people they have alternatives...say like China or other places like that.Even our friends to the north Canada. Having no god (china) or strong restrictions (canada) seems to working well for them..maybe you should consider packing up and moving from this "backwards country that acknowledges GOD". Go ahead and move now and beat the rush!!!
    No thanks, I acknowledge there is Deity in this world. And My point, which some posters are missing is that No one should be told what they can and cannot say in reference to a god or not a god. I, unlike some, Say Gods, that is my choice. Just like God, Yahweh, Jesus, Jehovah or whatever is your choice, or Allah, Buddha, whatever your choice, is your business, and no one should tell you what to say.

gpbarth Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBoCook View Post
    I suggest you do some research about a person who is a SAINT. St. Olaf of Norway. He was a king that converted "Heathens" at the point of a sword, he was RUSHED into Sainthood right after his death. Never mind the Germanic Crusades where they were conquering the remnants of eastern europe in the same convert or die method as "The Holy Roman Empire".
    And as a rule, all the Abrahamic religions have a "spread the word and convert non-believers" clause. Just thankfully, America has not conformed to the "Convert or Die" that places like Pakistan, Afghanistan, Iraq, etc.. have.
    Do not believe that all people, let alone all christians have the same tolerance the Bible teaches. Let alone that all people want to hear about it.

And I agree about the free speech aspect. Nobody should tell Obama, or anyone else for that matter, who they can swear to.
    I know I said I'd shut up, but just one more post. I know all about the ancient history of the "Church," and most of it has to do with Catholicism. No matter, I know all about the Inquisition, the Crusades, etc. And I also acknowledge that THAT was wrong, too. It wasn't Christianity, it was politics purporting to be Christianity. It was men and corruption. It was also a long, long time ago. In current history, Christianity has no place for forcing people to convert. We have an obligation to spread the Word throughout the world. And this means that we let anyone who will listen know what our beliefs are, and invite and encourage them to join us.

If you want to target actual people (like wonderful Fred Phelps and the Westboro Baptist church) then I'll even help you out. But don't target my Christian faith et al. We all have the right to believe as we wish, according to our Constitution. And since Christianity is an integral part of our country, why should it be wrong to have God mentioned in its functions? The government is not recognizing Christianity as its "official religion." But if Islamic fundamentalists had founded this country, do you think that all other religions would have the freedoms they have in the U.S. right now?

And with this, I am permanently off my soap box. Let's talk about guns and the Constitution, and leave homosexuality, abortion, God and atheists to other boards. Peace?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast