Atheists are at it again
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Atheists are at it again

Atheists are at it again

Atheist Michael Newdow, who unsuccessfully lobbied to have the Supreme Court remove the words "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance, is at it again. This is really starting to get ridiculous. It seems to me that by requesting that he not say "so help me God," they are infringing upon his freedom of speech. But the atheists don't care about that; all they care about is suppressing any overt references to Christianity.

Atheists want God stricken from inaugural oath - Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON President-elect Barack Obama wants to conclude his inaugural oath with the words "so help me God," but a group of atheists is asking a federal judge to stop him.

California atheist Michael Newdow sued Chief Justice John Roberts in federal court for an injunction barring the use of those words in the inaugural oath.

Newdow and other atheists and agnostics also want to stop the use of prayers during the inaugural celebration.

Newdow, who lost a Supreme Court battle to get the words "under God" taken out of the Pledge of Allegiance, has failed in similar challenges to the use of religious words and prayers at President George W. Bush's inaugurations.

Roberts' attorney Jeffrey P. Minear filed a document in Newdow's lawsuit saying that Obama wants the words "so help me God" included in his oath of office.

The Justice Department and attorneys general from all 50 states have filed motions at the federal court asking for the lawsuit to be thrown out.

The oath dictated by the Constitution is 35 words long and reads: "I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of president of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

The National Archives says that George Washington added the words "so help me God" when he took the oath at his 1789 inaugural, and most presidents have used it since. However, some have argued that the first eyewitness account of a president using those words came at President Chester Arthur's inauguration in 1881.

Named in Newdow's lawsuit are Roberts; Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif.; and the two pastors invited to the event, the Rev. Rick Warren and the Rev. Joseph Lowery.

U.S. District Judge Reggie B. Walton will hear arguments on Thursday.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

Does anyone really care? You can argue till you are blue in the face either side. Even the US Military gives you the choice of swearing or affirming and you may leave God out of it. It's a personal choice, just like it is a personal choice to be atheistic. They, like us when it pertains to their personal beliefs, should mind their own business.

Quote Originally Posted by DocBoCook View Post
    Does anyone really care? You can argue till you are blue in the face either side. Even the US Military gives you the choice of swearing or affirming and you may leave God out of it. It's a personal choice, just like it is a personal choice to be atheistic. They, like us when it pertains to their personal beliefs, should mind their own business.
    I agree. What exactly it is they're trying to accomplish by telling Obama that he can't add to the oath whatever he wants to add is beyond me.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

What a turd!!! I can't say that I wish something bad would happen to him but.... anybody remember Madelyn Murray O'haire???

Entertaining crap like this is killing this country. If someone is an Atheist and doesn't want to acknowledge God then fine, don't. But why should I not be allowed to acknowledge God? Why is this ass telling me what I can't do? It's the same as the anti-gun folks. If you don't like guns, fine, don't buy one. But don't tell me what to do. We need to go back to a time when we didn't try to please everyone and make everyone feel "normal." Why do we as a society even entertain such stupidity?

"Common Sense" gun laws. Common sense tells me that the gun didn't carry itself to the crime scene and pull it's own trigger. Punish the criminals, not the guns!

gpbarth Guest
    This is the problem that is not going away. This is political correctness at its finest. That we must not offend anyone over anything. That if someone doesn't believe in God, then God shall not be mentioned aloud outside of a church, lest we offend someone.

I went to a town hall meeting to support a church that was trying to build a school on its property, and there were a few people there who were vehemently against it. So much so that they were yelling and screaming throughout the entire hearing (and this was not the only item on the evening agenda). And one couple, who lived in the neighborhood behind the church, stated that they had actually fought the original construction of the church because one of their windows faced the direction of the church building, and they were going to be forced to look at the cross on the steeple every time they looked out that window. IOW, they didn't want anything in their periphery to look like religion because they hated it so much.

It is time, people, that we take this country back. That we start fighting for OUR rights. It is time to push back. No one is forcing atheists to pray, to listen to any oath, to recognize a God, or a religion. Likewise, they have no right to demand that faith be removed from their sight. We have freedom OF religion (or the lack thereof) and not freedom FROM religion.

And now that these guys are getting all the press, they are working on producing new "hate laws" which will make the utterance of Biblical passages illegal. If you preach the Bible against homosexuality, for instance, you will be accused of a hate crime. Want to see the Bible outlawed? It is being attempted as we speak. Funny how their form of hatred is okay, however.

This country was based on Christian principles, and that fact appears in so much of our history that it cannot be refuted. And so these people are trying to re-write or erase that history in order to make their minority wishes the law. And they are using the courts to do that. Call it what you will, but it is time to take this country back, and bury PC once and for all. We ARE the majority. Aren't we?

8. Why is it so much to ask that agents of the government, in their official duty, not endorse religion? If it wasn't your religion he was endorsing, would you be defending him?

As gpbarth stated, The very foundation of this nation was founded on Christian principles.

"In God We Trust"
    "God Bless America"
    "So Help Me God"
    "One Nation Under God"

Why do you think this nation has come so far in little more than 200 years? Because our forefathers acknowledged God and he bestowed his blessing on us. In the last 20 years the athiests and the so called "politically correct" crowd have systematically been removing God from our society. Now you have the "separation of church and state". Why do you think our country and our economy is tanking??? Because slowly but surely we are turning our backs on God. IMO.

10. One nation under god was added to the pledge in 1954.
    In God We Trust didn't become the motto of the country until 1956.

Jefferson and many of the founding fathers were more Deists or Unitarians than Christians.

I'm sure many people would rather the US be the Christian's equivalent of Iran, but it just seems wrong to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    I agree. What exactly it is they're trying to accomplish by telling Obama that he can't add to the oath whatever he wants to add is beyond me.
    Feels a bit weird to be on the same side as Obama on something.
    Silent Running, by Mike and the Mechanics

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast