61 reasons GITMO needs to stay open! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 61 reasons GITMO needs to stay open!

Another example of our political elites ignoring the Constitution....

Read Article 1 Section 6, then please explain to me how in blazes these current sitting Senators can become cabinet members. If you do not have a copy of the Constitution, get one now.

Jim, are your shorts a bit tight?

Quote Originally Posted by Boomboy007 View Post
    You are not even thinking about what is discussed, you are just jumping in with "You're being vague". Well, I don't think the others, whether they agree or disagree with what I am saying, would characterize my posts as vague. Moving on.
    Since you have given no specific points and no evidence, what would you call them?
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Quote Originally Posted by faintfuzzy View Post
    Another example of our political elites ignoring the Constitution....

Read Article 1 Section 6, then please explain to me how in blazes these current sitting Senators can become cabinet members. If you do not have a copy of the Constitution, get one now.

Jim, are your shorts a bit tight?
    I didn't look up your cite but as I understand it, the only way Hillary can be on the cabinet is with a special vote by the Congress which has been done before and blessed by the SC even though it probably is unconstitutional. As far as I know she is the only Senator up for the Cabinet.

And no, my shorts are not too tight but I do object to mindless vague bashing of the US and the claims of extraordinary laws protecting terrorists, spies, and saboteurs. We can debate what is and what is not torture but I can't accept blind declarations of widespread torture and loss of Constitutional Rights. We have lost many of our rights but the Patriot act has nothing to do with it and it's been going on since day one of the country.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

Lightbulb Sorry, Jim. Think, THEN respond.

Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    And no, my shorts are not too tight but I do object to mindless vague bashing of the US and the claims of extraordinary laws protecting terrorists, spies, and saboteurs. We can debate what is and what is not torture but I can't accept blind declarations of widespread torture and loss of Constitutional Rights. We have lost many of our rights but the Patriot act has nothing to do with it and it's been going on since day one of the country.
    Any bashing that I do is mindful, not mindless. If you can't tell the difference, look it up. I love my country. What I can't stand are idiots who thoughtlessly parrot party lines, regardless of which party they are parroting. Yes, I believe in the second amendment. I also believe in the eighth amendment. If asked, I can say WHY I believe in these amendments. I don't depend on Rush Limbaugh for my viewpoint, nor do I depend on Oprah. Incidentally, in case you are unaware, the eighth amendment prohibits "cruel and unusual punishment". I believe that torture qualifies. If it is not something that we would approve of during questioning at the county lockup, then it should not be something that we do period.

My declarations are not blind. I back it up with facts and experience. I even quoted Reagan and Jefferson because their words were germane to the issue. Just because you can't figure it out, don't blame me. Everyone else who has agreed or disagreed with my point of view has been able to intelligently respond.

You are right, Jim, when you say that we have lost many of our rights. That fact that you are so ignorant of the Patriot Act's provisions indicates that you might want to give it a read sometime. In fact, I'll include a link to the full text. Pay special attention to section 215, it is my FAVE!

http://epic.org/privacy/terrorism/hr3162.pdf

Did you read and understand all 342 pages? Did you completely and fully understand them? Did you do it in less than 45 minutes? The Senate did! Yes, Jim, the senate got the final draft of the legislation, which was considerably different than the one that had been introduced in committee, which only a few of them got to read in the first place. The legislation was passed by a huge majority, with only two senators raising any questions. Now, I know that times change, and sometimes laws have to change to keep pace. However, I would expect the congress to actually understand the crap they pass. When that doesn't happen, abuses inevitably occur. I don't need to enumerate those abuses here; anyone with half a brain and cable t.v. has heard about them. I will, however, list one so as not to be accused of being vague or not citing sources:

In-flight confrontations can lead to charges defined as terrorism - Los Angeles Times

Remember, the government will take as much as they can, and then they push even further. It is true of our government, and every other government on the planet. That is why we have to practice critical thinking skills, Jim. We've gotta keep'em honest!
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

What I can't stand are idiots who thoughtlessly parrot party lines, regardless of which party they are parroting.
    Wow! I'm so happy we are in agreement. That is exactly my position and why I have repeatedly asked for specifics and facts instead of the party line generalities and attacks.

I back it up with facts and experience.
    I wish you would. Talking about what someone else said or did about some different situation does nothing to support your generalized attacks on the US policies.

The Senate did! Yes, Jim, the senate got the final draft of the legislation, which was considerably different than the one that had been introduced in committee, which only a few of them got to read in the first place.
    Interesting that most of the Dem's and most of the Pub's voted for something that they hadn't read. Of course, that is the norm not the exception. I believe that all Congress critters should be mandated to read all legislation before they are allowed to vote on it. Unfortunately the country has allowed mindless politicians to be elected and to regularly vote for legislation they have never read.

That is why we have to practice critical thinking skills,
    Indeed. That is exactly why I have asked for specifics. Give us the facts and tell us why and how you think they are a problem. I'm still waiting.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

Already done, Jimmy, me lad.

Next.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12