Those wacky atheists are at it again
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Those wacky atheists are at it again

Those wacky atheists are at it again

Atheist group sues over rejection of ads on buses -- chicagotribune.com

ads that say "You can be good without God."

Bloomington Public Transportation Corp. says the proposed ads, which would have been placed on the back of city buses, violate its advertising policy, which bans statements for or against "controversial public issues."

The Indiana Atheist Bus Campaign filed a federal lawsuit Tuesday in Indianapolis, saying the policy was too vague and violated constitutional rights to free speech and due process. The suit asks the court to order the city to allow display of the ads.

A woman who answered the phone at Bloomington Transit on Friday said no one was available to comment on the suit.

What amuses me about this is the group's claim that the bus company's refusal to allow the group's ads on their buses, as if doing so is somehow their right. Does that mean if I don't want them protesting on my front lawn, they can sue me too?
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Benjamin Franklin

guess this makes me whacky cause I'm a proud athiest

Mr. Vegas, if you say so.

I thought the point was that the ones who are causing the ruckus were wacky. Sounds as though the transport company should have the right to limit speech on their premises just as you should have on your own.

In my shop I decide what I am willing to listen to, no one else. Generally, if the person is well behaved I allow a lot of latitude but I have the final say.

wacky?

So, are those people picketing, harassing, and bombing abortion clinics wacky?

Proud Agnostic

And what, if anything, does this have to do with "Open and Concealed Carry"?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Loyal View Post
    So, are those people picketing, harassing, and bombing abortion clinics wacky?

Proud Agnostic

And what, if anything, does this have to do with "Open and Concealed Carry"?
    It's a far right wing thing. Ya see only god fearing old school conservatives shoot guns and enjoy the outdoors. There are not any Democrats or independents that shoot, they are all anti-gun anti god and wish to ruin America!

Sadly, you atheists aren't seen as nearly as wacky as us Asatru. But I agree that it is city property and they cant say anything about religious statements
    M1 Garand, Kimber Custom Carry II, Ruger P-95, Mossberg Persuader 12ga., Charles Daly 12ga(My gobbler gobbler)
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/10/311.html

Quote Originally Posted by tattedupboy View Post
    Atheist group sues over rejection of ads on buses -- chicagotribune.com

What amuses me about this is the group's claim that the bus company's refusal to allow the group's ads on their buses, as if doing so is somehow their right. Does that mean if I don't want them protesting on my front lawn, they can sue me too?
    Yes they can sue you but I doubt they will win since your lawn is private property. I don't know the details of this case but if the buses are publicly owned they have a very strong case. Now the question would be that would the bus company allow a sign saying "Get right with God" on their busses then there isn't even a case other than letting them have the signs. If the bus company bans anything controversial including Ben and Jerry's ice cream then the group doesn't have a case.

On the surface is sounds like the policy is too vague and they should be allowed to advertise as long as they pay for it. As someone asked this doesn't have a thing to do with open or concealed carry or guns unless they also ban the NRA from advertising.

Devout Atheist here. Controversal subjects being put out of bounds for advertizements on city transit property is hunky docrey for me, provided they have a clear, rational, stated policy for everyone to know, understand, and follow. Your controversal ad is verbotten, but another controversal ad that happens to have enough of a local following is alright? No.

And if any and all religious or church-affiliated advertizers are put out of bounds by that policy, so be it, but if the Presbyterians get to have "Jesus loves you!" or the Episcopalians get to have "Christ is King", then they have to allow "You can be good without God."

Now, this is on public property. If this is a private bus company, not contracted with the city or anything like that, then all bets are off.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Your beliefs are yours and you have a right to them. The thing to consider here is that those who are protesting here probably had a hand in removing the Ten Commandments from court houses and the Pledge Of Allegiance and prayers being removed from schools. Yet it's wrong to not place their advertisements on buses. Maybe the ads should be allowed and then have churches place ads right next to them saying "But you can't be saved" or "But you can't go to heaven" or something similar. How much do you want to bet they would protest against those also? I'm not what you would call a strict religious man and as I said you have a right to your beliefs, the wrong comes in trying to force others into those beliefs.

11. Quote Originally Posted by ronwill View Post
    Your beliefs are yours and you have a right to them. The thing to consider here is that those who are protesting here probably had a hand in removing the Ten Commandments from court houses and the Pledge Of Allegiance and prayers being removed from schools. Yet it's wrong to not place their advertisements on buses. Maybe the ads should be allowed and then have churches place ads right next to them saying "But you can't be saved" or "But you can't go to heaven" or something similar. How much do you want to bet they would protest against those also? I'm not what you would call a strict religious man and as I said you have a right to your beliefs, the wrong comes in trying to force others into those beliefs.
    That is exactly why the 10 commandments where removed and God taken out of the pledge of allegiance, to stop forcing those beliefs on others.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast