Gotta Love Those Texas Women.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gotta Love Those Texas Women.

Talking Gotta Love Those Texas Women.

A woman was called in front of a Texas grand jury for manslaughter
    after she shot a mugger 6 times in the back as he was running away with her purse.

When he grabbed the purse and ran, she had her hand on the gun in it,
    and was left with the revolver in her hand.

When asked by the grand jury why she shot the man 6 times in the back
    as he was running away, she replied under oath:
    "Because when I pulled the trigger the 7th time it only went click."

Let the record show that she hit him 6 out of 6 times.

True Story!
    "If an awalu [freeman] should blind the eye of another awalu [freeman], they shall blind his eye."
    -Hammurabi (1792-1750 B.C.E.)

She is my hero. I would have done the same thing. My theory is don't stop till you hear the click. He had no right to take HER purse.
    (RIA .45 cs)
    Thou shall not murder... Deut. 5:17 By definition murder is the taking of innocent life. If a criminal is coming at me, they are not innocent. Bang! Bang!

I may be crazy, but I don't recall when purse snatching was declared a crime punishable by death, other than in those countries we tend to regard as "barbaric".I don't see how we can condemn people who stone women to death for showing too much skin in public, yet applaud the actions of this woman. I thought that those of us who carry firearms for protection had been taught to only use our weapons (to quote Massad Ayoob) in the gravest extreme. Unless I've misconstrued the teachings and wisdom of every firearms instructor I've ever heard, it seems to me that shooting someone; even a criminal scumbag, is even more heinous an act than the theft itself. Am I completely off base here?

Quote Originally Posted by cgnavarro View Post
    I may be crazy, but I don't recall when purse snatching was declared a crime punishable by death, other than in those countries we tend to regard as "barbaric".
    Sorry, this is not a valid parallel. Had he survived he still should be prosecuted and, if convicted, sent to jail. What transpired in the time immediately surrounding the crime and while the woman was scared for her safety should only determine her culpability (if there is any).
    I don't see how we can condemn people who stone women to death for showing too much skin in public, yet applaud the actions of this woman.
    Still has nothing to do with protecting oneself during the commission of a crime.
    I thought that those of us who carry firearms for protection had been taught to only use our weapons (to quote Massad Ayoob) in the gravest extreme. Unless I've misconstrued the teachings and wisdom of every firearms instructor I've ever heard, it seems to me that shooting someone; even a criminal scumbag, is even more heinous an act than the theft itself.
    Y'got me. None of the instructors I have studied with or discussed this topic with ever said that. I also believe that everyone (it's been a long time since I read M Ayoob) will tell you that each situation is unique and can't really be planned ahead of time. You train to be ready to face the worst possible. I guess this criminal should have picked his victim more carefully--but it's moot now.
    Am I completely off base here?
    I believe so.

This woman acted in the confusion and heat of the crime. If the criminal wanted to be safe he should have chosen another line of work. You, however, may feel sympathy for him all you please. My sympathies lie with the poor woman who felt she had to shoot to protect herself and will have nightmares for the rest of her life because criminal scum wouldn't leave her alone.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Don't get me wrong, I don't sympathize for the criminal, but I also don't think he should be dead as a result of a theft. A woman who when asked why she shot someone six times in the back who responds "Because when I pulled the trigger the 7th time it only went click." doesn'tsound like someone who was confused about what was happening, she sounds like someone who was sorry she didn't have a 7th round. You don't shoot unless it's to save your life. Is it hard to tell when your life is in danger? Yes, I suppose that line can get muddled in; as you say, "the heat of the crime". But, I hope a Texas Grand Jury will find that it's not when a mugger is running away from you with his back turned, if for no other reason than if they don't, this will be come just another argument for the gun grabbers as to why people can't be trusted to make sound decisions under stress, and thus shouldn't be allowed to carry guns for their own defense. If her response was taken out of context, that's one thing (and it should be taken into account in sentencing), but if it's not, then this was just wrong.

What if it turned out that the woman was medication-dependent and her entire medicine supply was in that purse? In that case, though she's in a very real manner merely using deadly force to recover material possessions which she is entirely capable of replacing, but she's also in another very real manner using deadly force to sustain her life by recovering or retaining the means to keep herself alive which may not be replaceable in the timeframe in which she may next require a dose.

Even if it's not a matter of medical life and death, what if the purse was full of the woman's life's savings and she's on her way to pay for a new home and without that money, she's literally homeless, so what this jaggoff is stealing isn't truly her purse and pocket change, but he's stealing her home. Would that be worth killing to defend or retain?

I do believe in proportionality, but I also believe that if you commit a violent crime against a person who may be armed, you have no right to be surprised when, instead of making your escape, you suddenly find yourself staring at a pair of pearly gates and a surly angel demanding your name.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Remember this is Texas. In our state the law abiding citizen has more rights than the BG. She was within her rights. However her statement might not have been the smartest thing to say.
    By faith Noah,being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear,prepared an ark to the saving of his house;by the which he condemned the world,and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith Heb.11:7

You have a point there HK4U. The Peoples Republic of Kalifornia has a way of messing with your head.

one less BG to deal with. no sympathy whatsoever for him. if he woulda got away with this who knows what other crime he may graduate to, rape, murder, who knows? but one things is for sure he won't be doing anything anymore.

So much for "all life is precious" I guess.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast