CCW application in Ohio question

Thread: CCW application in Ohio question

CCW application in Ohio question

Although I have been raised with a good knowledge of firearms from child hood through my family, the Scouts, and the Army I am new to this site as well as CCW. I took, completed, and passed the CCW course in Ohio, but I am unsure as to if I should even attempt to obtain a license/permit because of my minor misdemeanor marijuana possession charges (two). I was hoping someone might have some insight for me as to whether I should even bother, but this is a right I would prefer to exercise seeing as though I have been clean for almost two years and have since turned the page on that irresponsible chapter of my life and now have a family to care after and protect. Also, I have already assumed that the answer is no, so please only respond if you have some information that is to the contrary of my belief.

Thank you,
    Madmax357

P.S. I have completed the Ohio CCW course, have obtained the certification, and know what the law says, but I have been told conflicting stories about how it could go. A police officer said it would probably be denied, but an attorney said it would probably be granted, so I'm not sure what to believe and I don't want to waste my money if I don't have to. Basically I was hoping for insight other than what the law says (because I have read it) and more looking for if someone has some first or second hand experience in this matter pertaining to my specific situation.
    Last edited by Madmax357; 05-13-2010 at 01:05 AM. Reason: More specific answer desired

3. You should download the application for Ohio (from the attorney general's site, or your county's site). There are several yes or no questions on there, I'm not sure that you aren't ok to get approved. Either way, as long as you've served your time/payed fines, etc., I think you should still submit your application.

OH 2923.125(D)(1)(e)

(e) Except as otherwise provided in division (D)(5) of this section, the applicant has not been convicted of or pleaded guilty to a felony or an offense under Chapter 2925., 3719., or 4729. of the Revised Code that involves the illegal possession, use, sale, administration, or distribution of or trafficking in a drug of abuse; has not been adjudicated a delinquent child for committing an act that if committed by an adult would be a felony or would be an offense under Chapter 2925., 3719., or 4729. of the Revised Code that involves the illegal possession, use, sale, administration, or distribution of or trafficking in a drug of abuse; and has not been convicted of, pleaded guilty to, or adjudicated a delinquent child for committing a violation of section 2903.13 of the Revised Code when the victim of the violation is a peace officer, regardless of whether the applicant was sentenced under division (C)(3) of that section.
    Now see if your charge is listed in OH 2925, or OH 3719