S&W BodyGuard 380
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S&W BodyGuard 380

1. Unhappy S&W BodyGuard 380

Just bought the Bodyguard as a pocket pistol. Loved the feel, accuracy weight and built in laser sight. One problem it came apart in my hands at the range. The knock down pin loosens after firing. Its on its way back to S&W today for repair/retooling.

3. I had the same experience with the slide pin coming out. On the plus side, the pistol is a dream to shoot. I fired 12 rounds rapid-fire at 7 yards with the laser on. 10 rounds went a hole 1.5 inches across, with two rounds about 1 inch outside the group. The trigger pull seemed smoother in rapid fire than trying to squeeze them off. When I fired slowly for accuracy, the group jumped to 4 inches. Go figure!

This pistol is also easy to carry concealed. It is about the same size as my 21A, but is noticeably thinner.

I just bought one today. I shot 50 rounds and had no problem with the take down pin.

But at least half of the ejected casings hit me in the right side of the head. Next time I go to the range I'll have to bring a helmet.

There are several threads about the Bodyguard 380 on the forum. Many similar experiences. Let's face it, S&W needs to re-engineer this one.

6. S&W replaced my .380 about 3weeks after I turned it in. No problems with new one after about 100 rounds

Good news. Glad to hear S&W stepped up to the plate and responded so quickly.
    "They who give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin, 1775

That IS good news. I still want to buy one, but fear the hassle (albeit minor) of buying one and having to send it back to S&W for a replacement.

I think I'll wait until the defective ones are off the shelves before making the purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowjiber View Post
    That IS good news. I still want to buy one, but fear the hassle (albeit minor) of buying one and having to send it back to S&W for a replacement.

I think I'll wait until the defective ones are off the shelves before making the purchase.
    Get yourself a Glock instead.

Here is the deal with the bodyguard. The first ones that came out were the problem ones. The serial numbers started with EAAxxxx. If your thinking about gettinng one make sure the serial number is EAFxxxx or above. They are great pistols and Smith and Wesson has a lifetime warranty on these. So they have been stepping up on them. The newer versions have been fine.

I have the .38 and love it! One of the best .38s I've ever had

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast