Buying a handgun, could use some tips. - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a handgun, could use some tips.

1. Thanks everyone, I thought about it and I'm pretty set on a Taurus 9MM, subcompact. I have another question though, I have been in Ohio for over 30 days now, but I don't have an Ohio drivers license or I.D. I have check stubs and utility bills to prove my residency but I called one gun shop and they said I need a picture I.D. from Ohio. I get where they're coming from and why, but at the same time I am a resident, with or without the I.D. Is this a state law? My biggest issue is that Ohio requires a written test to be taken and, as a licensed driver, I find that to be offensive since I don't believe any other state does that.

Quote Originally Posted by manc:238519
    Thanks everyone, I thought about it and I'm pretty set on a Taurus 9MM, subcompact.
    Ahhh...so much potential, and he blew it with one hasty decision. I'll go mourn in private now. With a little scotch, I think.

4. Take your test get your license, buy your gun.
    You may be driving illegaly after 30 days anyway.
    An honest mans pillow is his peace of mind.

5. Always carry the largest caliber u can carry, conceal and shoot comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by manc View Post
    My biggest issue is that Ohio requires a written test to be taken and, as a licensed driver, I find that to be offensive since I don't believe any other state does that.
    Actually, I dont know of any state that DOESNT require a written test for new residents..... What would be out of the norm would be requiring a driving test to boot if your current out of state license isnt expired....

I am sure that there probably are some, I just havent seen any...
    I am prior military, and have had quite a lot of different states drivers licenses....

Edited to add: Actually, now that I think about it, Missouri DID require both a written, and a driving test, didnt matter that your current out of state was not yet expired... Also wanted to say that a Taurus is a fine choice... as far as 9 vs 40.... that is strictly a personal choice.. 9 is cheaper, but 40 is more potent, not that 9 is wimpy...

7. Nevada didn't require a written as long as your license from the previous state isn't expired, however Oregon required a written test. Resident or not the background check requires an I.D number. You can't fight the system so take your test or don't get a gun

Well, I'm an Ohioian but if my license expired I too would have to take the written test again after 30 days. I really think it is about the money. Licenses, plates pay for the roads...at least that is what I'm told by the BMV however, I don't believe all of it goes to roads. As one person your in a losing battle... make it easy on yourself, take the test, pay the money, get the ID and enjoy!
    God, Family, Country and Self

Go with the 9mm if you are just getting into the whole thing that's a good starter gun.

I'm not sure if your buying the gun for yourself or someone else. I had an issue with my wife and finding a gun to fit her small "childlike hands". She is only 4' 10" and very small hands. And the price also is a determining factor as they were all over the place from $200 to $1200.

One issue I found in gun research is the dealers do not carry many different weapons. Seems they each stick to a particular line and then select models. I'm sure it is because of their profit margin.

And then each brand has a variety of models and again dealers have a limited selection. Some dealers were not very resceptive to "trying fit and feel" when they knew we may not be purchasing. A tough problem, I can see their point but how else to know what weapon is best fit.

My spouse decided upon a Sig Sauer P238 / Sig Sauer P22 for practicing - having the same gun type makes transition from target to carry an easy move.

And I have found auction sites that have factory new from $150 to $500 for the same weapon selling for 3 times as much from both Mom & Pop shops to the Large Sportsman Stores.

There are several GREAT Sportsman Stores which are also sending stock to the same auction sites and I have found some great prices and I picked it up directly from their store saving both shipping and the FFL costs.

Bottom line..... I'm happy because "SHE IS HAPPY"!
    God, Family, Country and Self

11. Thanks for all of the replies! Regarding the test, I'm just going to take it. No biggy. I went to the range last week and fired a 9mm USP and it seemed fine. I don't have big hands so a subcompact gun will work for me. I also wear fitted clothing so I want a gun that won't print and is not that bulky.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast