Rest Stops/Service Areas - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rest Stops/Service Areas

1. I am on your bench Joe!

3. In Ohio. the buildings at rest stops are off-limits to CCW, even by a person with a license.

Ohio law regarding CCW specifically prohibits the carry of concealed handguns in buildings that are owned by the State or by any political subdivisions.

The phrase on the sign "unless otherwise authorized by law" does not give CHL holders permission to carry in the rest area buildings. This phrase applies to law enforcement or other persons specifically assigned to do so as part of their job.

4. The folks over at Ohio Citizens for Concealed Carry have dealt with the signage issue in great detail. Helped me when I travelled into Ohio. I think their site is occc.org. They have done a lot for Ohio concealed carry and they do a lot of those in Michigan as well.

5. Quote Originally Posted by rlsmaritime View Post
    In Ohio. the buildings at rest stops are off-limits to CCW, even by a person with a license.

Ohio law regarding CCW specifically prohibits the carry of concealed handguns in buildings that are owned by the State or by any political subdivisions.

The phrase on the sign "unless otherwise authorized by law" does not give CHL holders permission to carry in the rest area buildings. This phrase applies to law enforcement or other persons specifically assigned to do so as part of their job.
    That's the way I read it also. Here are some links to OHIO CCW laws:

Ohio Concealed Carry Law:
    http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevent...arry/index.asp

Misc. Ohio CCW Rules
    http://www.ohioccw.org/content/view/3902/97/

Ohio Reciprocity
    http://www.ag.state.oh.us/le/prevent...eciprocity.asp

6. Cool Rest Stops

In Ohio you can carry in the rest stop you just can not carry in the buildings. I know kinda nuts, but hay you are in Ohio.

carry

rest stops and service areas are very popular for abductions and if you are out of state they look for that. my oppion is that i never leave home with out my weapon and i will only take it out if my life or the life of another is threatened. i never show it of or use it to threaten, and i would never what to be caught without it because that one time you don't carry you will need it. i travel ohio and carry it were ever i go. the posting of the signs is very loose. there are those who get carried awy with the attitude of carring a gun and think they are clint eastwood.

Excuse me. I thought this was a CONCEALED CARRY forum. And I thought concealed carry meant that no one knows you are carrying. All the laws in the universe don't mean squat if you're dead, do they? Dead right or dead wrong = still dead. Just a couple of cents worth.
    I know a man by the name of Mel;
    he can't see but he sure do smell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12