What are yalls thoughts on them wanting to make the CCL minimum age 18 instead of 21?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are yalls thoughts on them wanting to make the CCL minimum age 18 instead of 21?

What are yalls thoughts on them wanting to make the CCL minimum age 18 instead of 21?

My only thought on it is that I thought you had to be 21 to buy a handgun. If you have to be 21 to have a handgun and your CCL doesn't cover anything but handguns then it is a worthless bill.

Is this a step toward having police / correctional officers being hired in at 18? Scary thought huh.

-Austin
    -Austin

I think 18 year olds in general are not mature enough. That is not to say that some would be though...if the FEDs say you need to be at least 21, then how can a state lower that age group? Many would probably interpret that CCW permit means gun ownership, even at age 18.
    DrLewall
    "Doc"
    Drakes Creeks, AR
    www.kiltsrock.com
    "A gun unloaded and cocked aint good for nuttin!"--Rooster Cogburn

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    My only thought on it is that I thought you had to be 21 to buy a handgun. If you have to be 21 to have a handgun and your CCL doesn't cover anything but handguns then it is a worthless bill.

Is this a step toward having police / correctional officers being hired in at 18? Scary thought huh.

-Austin

They serve in battle, but not at the homefront? I doth sense a double standard...Granted, most 18 y.o.'s are young, dumb, and full of ........bad ideas, but some are more responsible than many 40 y.o.'s. Proper training is key, as with anything.....
    Victory rewards not the army that fires the most rounds, but who is the more accurate shot. ---Unknown

5. An 18 yr old can legally POSSESS and OWN a handgun, he just can't buy one from a licensed dealer.

I say, keep it 21 for CCW. The military does the thinking for the soldier and seldom is he allowed to carry a firearm without supervision and then, it is seldom loaded.

The exception, of course, is during war, but alarmingly, it is the tendency to still do the above, even in a war zone.

18 year olds died in viet nam and iraq. some have the ability to think. On a one to one basis.

I'd say if they're 18, SERVED or SERVING in the military, and can prove that they're able to safely handle firearms, then why not. Don't like the idea of folks who dodge military service trying to use the "they're old enough to die" card to their advantage. If you CHOOSE not to serve, then you should wait until 21. If you're serving or served in the military, I feel that you've EARNED the right to own a handgun and qualify for a CCW.

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

I like where this is going.

I think that the CCW age should be 25 IMHO.

Wasnt there a study recently that stated that a males brain isnt fully developed in the area of "long term effects of my actions right now" (in other words), until around the age of 25?

If us males were as rational at 18 as we are at 25 then why the higher auto insurance rates?

But, I agree that is a little contradictory that our youngsters can go (or be sent unwillingly) to war but they cant have a beer when they get back.

On another note: does active military have to get a CCW? Or can they carry legally with a federal pass of some type?
    -Austin

Quote Originally Posted by DrLewall View Post
    I think 18 year olds in general are not mature enough. That is not to say that some would be though...if the FEDs say you need to be at least 21, then how can a state lower that age group? Many would probably interpret that CCW permit means gun ownership, even at age 18.

I thought that the states' laws could be more restrictive but not less. Interesting!!
    -Austin

18 year old soldiers may bleed and die for you as they can be and are committed to combat. However they and their buddies under 21 may not consume alcohol and those 17 years of age cannot be assigned to a combat area until they are 18.

Seems like 21 is the magic number for being a major (adult). But of course you can only be a ATP (airline transport pilot) after reaching the old age of 25 years.

What is wrong with 21? Why are we having this discussion? I would be hard pressed to find anyone I know 21 or older that would waste time and effort on trying to get the age lowered. Does anyone here think a congressman is going to take up this banner? If so you must be less than 21 and way short of a full deck proving 21 was probably the right age if not a tad too early.
    Later,

John

In most cases they shouldn't even have a DL much less a CCW. As said the exception would be if they are enlisted AFTER basic training.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast