Involuntary Commitment to a mental institution when 16- conceal carry? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Involuntary Commitment to a mental institution when 16- conceal carry?

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Gain View Post
    I do not believe that Rabbitcreek is interpreting the law correctly. Sections 3 and 4 are talking about two different things. Section 3 speaks about involuntary committment to a mental institution. Section 4 talks about treatment for a mental illness, which would be more along the lines of voluntary counseling, therapy, and so on.

According to 18 USC 922 (g)(4) which is referenced in the Oklahoma law:

------

(g) It shall be unlawful for any person -
    (4) who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or who has been committed to a mental institution;
    to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce, or possess in or affecting commerce,
    any firearm or ammunition; or to receive any firearm or ammunition which has been shipped or
    transported in interstate or foreign commerce.

------

It would seem to ME, a layman, that there is no time limit applied, that according to Federal law it does not matter when the involuntary committment occurred, and that it permanently excludes you from owning ANY firearm or ammunition, much less acquiring a CCW.

There could be case law where you could argue an exception. It also could be possible that it was not truly an "involuntary committment" if your parents voluntarily put you in for treatment. (Involuntary to YOU but not to THEM.) There may possibly be legal ways around this that are not clear from just reading the statutes. THIS IS WHY YOU NEED AN ATTORNEY. If you can't afford one right now, SAVE UP until you can, and go from there.

Good luck!
    I did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I make no claims about my legal advice. It appears that Phillip has it correct. But as he said, I would check further.

3. Just don't get frisked

Yeah I said it!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12