Open Carry and Alcohol Limits - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry and Alcohol Limits

1. I agree, and the same goes for driving limits. Alcohol affects different people differently; even at the same BAC. I wouldn't personally drink if I was carrying, but I just don't like the laws that spell out "zero-tolerance" for drinking. Better to leave it up to a jury whether a SD incident was legal.

Quote Originally Posted by dgs50819 View Post
    This is my first post, so consider please the source.

Michigan's DUI is .08, but if driving with a CCW and weapon within reach, its a CCW vioation at .02. It's not a DUI violation however. I don't know what it would be if I was not driving.

Question -
    Does anyone know the Michigan alcohol test limit for an open carry, in the cart and/or out of it? Could it be the same .02, which is maybe two beers or one mixed drink.

Two year ago, I got a "Failure to Disclose" and the fine was $545 and a six month CCW suspension. The second would be $1,000 and a revocation.
    You were convicted of a ccw violation. Now you are asking how much can you drink before you are in violation again. May I suggest you consider more training?

Why anyone would injest a central nervous system depresant, and carry a loaded firearm is just stupid.
    Need to drink? Store your firearm. Enjoy.

Hey iceman: You really do have to shake your head when you read some posts. They are not even embarrassed by their words.

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    Hey iceman: You really do have to shake your head when you read some posts. They are not even embarrassed by their words.
    Hopefully, these troubled souls will listen to our words of wisdom, and mend their ways.

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    You were convicted of a ccw violation. Now you are asking how much can you drink before you are in violation again. May I suggest you consider more training?

Why anyone would injest a central nervous system depresant, and carry a loaded firearm is just stupid.
    Need to drink? Store your firearm. Enjoy.
    I agree with you fully on this. My husband will leave his carry at home if he has to go out for a quick errand and he already had a beer (or two). If we are going out to dinner with some friends or to an event, if he already had a beer or a shot of whiskey earlier, he'd always ask if I am carrying because he is not. I do not drink...or let me put it this way, I will not die if I do not drink. My legs are too short and I do not drink often so I get affected by alcohol quick smart.
    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

Quote Originally Posted by kelcarry View Post
    I wouldn't be this hard on 'em, Kelcarry. That's why people post on these forums, I guess, to get others' take on a particular issue. I've had my mind changed once or twice, or at least, have had reason to pause to consider an issue I hadn't thought of. For me and you and some others, drinking and carrying is absolutely out of the question. But, some states do allow it (yikes!) and so it is worthy of discussion. Hopefully, we change some minds or again, at least give them something more to think about. Just my .02 cents.

8. Guns and alcohol don't mix well, so they never should be around each other. When the alcohol comes out, the guns need to already have been put up.

Alcohol lowers inhibitions and will cause you to allow yourself to do something stupid. Guns don't have a mind of their own since they are just mechanical objects, so they can't stop you no matter how bad a decision it is when you pull the trigger and you can't take back bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Information from the police on anything to do with the carrying of a firearm, at least in my experience, will not be entirely truthful and on some of the more obscure issues, most likely just wrong.

Look them up or contact a PRO GUN attorney.

I find myself educating the LEOs more than they've educated me.....

For example, how many LEOs in Kentucky know that you can OC a firearm into a bar as long as it's UNLOADED. Concealed carry is forbidden and most would think that of OC too. I would bet you, 9 out of 10 wouldn't believe me unless I showed it to them in black and white.
    In Virginia you can carry open, NO concealed in an establishment licensed to serve alcohol. No "unloaded" requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by 2beararms View Post
    Sorry, I was too drunk to realize what you were saying the first time around .

Well seriously now... What you say is true, however, having a beer or a glass of wine with dinner to me is totally different than "drinking". If you are impaired to any degree on one beer, then you ARE an alcoholic because only the physical allergic reaction will impair a normal human with one drink.

Additionally, the ludicrous rule of not being able to carry into places that SERVE alcohol to prevent people from drinking and carrying simply hurts decent restaruants and the economy. To say I cannot defend myself in an establishment because my wife wants a glass of wine with dinner is rediculous.

The RULE here is RESPONSIBILITY!!! If you are going to be a drunk and carry a gun, the odds are you are going to do it with or without a law and probably are not that likely to bother to get a permit.
    Very well said! It should be that you CAN carry OC or CC as long as you DON'T drink. That way, at least somebody may have their wits about them in case it hits the fan!

I don't Not Drink Anymore. At one time, Years Ago, I Thought About Drinking as a Career.... So Gave it Up.
    I've Read the Posts...and Everyone seems to be taking it to extremes. I would NEVER advocate Guns and Booze...But, Let's face real world. This gets into the When do I carry or When Not? You should ALWAYS CARRY... So this Falls into the "I Guess I will NEVER Drink" area...when out. But, Drink at home? (Alone?) Wrong...Real World, You are Going to Dinner with your wife or Girl... You Carry. You Have one glass of wine... One Drink per Hour. That is the Limit... (Or Whatever LESSER Amount works for you..) Stopping by a Friends House and having a Beer while watching a Sports Game.. Then Driving home, LEGAL,...it is with a Carry Pistol as well. If you get angry, argue, messy, blurry, impaired in anyway, then you know YOUR limit... Don't do it. If you have a Problem and Don't know your limit, Then get Help, Dont Drink and Drive and Dont Carry a Gun.
    I have never Heard of a case... (Except when the Shooter was DRUNK...Read DRUNK) that the question of one drink had a role... Prosecutors are used to running the law...if the LAW Says you were under the limit, you are under the limit. If you are Over, You are OVER... Period.
    Bars are Not Legal to Carry in Any State that I know Of... But, Restaurants are... IF THE BUSINESS is Marketed or Profits more than 50-60% From FOOD... If Booze is the Business with some "bar Food", its a Bar...Leave the Gun in Car.
    I go out and play pool at a Pub, that has a Bar area, but is a Sit down Restaurant. They Market the place as a Restaurant/Pub... That is Legal. Going to "Corner Bar" and Sitting at the Bar and having three Scotches in an Hour is a Mess, and Leave the Gun home.
    My Experience ..Worth all of 2 Cents... Spend it Wisely. God Bless, Stay Safe, Captain.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast