Do firearm training schools recommend open cary? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Do firearm training schools recommend open cary?

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    Your custom Kimber may be just want the BG wants. A lot of LEO's are shot with their own guns, presumably because they're taught to draw them as a last resort and because they are usually hanging right out there for the BG to grab.

Please show me the statistics of how many officers actually get their own weapons taken away and turned on them.

Also please show me "any" statistics where an OC'r has been targeted by a BG; just so the BG could steal his weapon.

Thanks

Check out this link.
    Law enforcement officers feloniously killed. - Free Online Library
    Of 41 officers slain 4 were killed with their own weapons. That's 10%. Not a negligble amount.
    I don't know of any source for the other but it stands to reason - BGs often target gun stores and homes because of the weapons they can get there.

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    Check out this link.
    Law enforcement officers feloniously killed. - Free Online Library
    Of 41 officers slain 4 were killed with their own weapons. That's 10%. Not a negligble amount.
    I don't know of any source for the other but it stands to reason - BGs often target gun stores and homes because of the weapons they can get there.
    But, I'll bet you NOT a single one was targeted because of their weapon. All of these took place during "other" stops or apprehensions.

Show me "ONE" badguy-vs-cop or badguy-vs-civilian where the cop or civilian was tageted because they were OC'ing.

Sorry; It just doesn't happen; no matter what you may have been told.

No, I'm not saying that they cops were targeted for their guns. But they were killed with their own guns and someone who's not afraid to kill a cop is going to be less inclined to worry about a civilian. After a few years of open carry I'm sure we'll have some stats.

OC Vs CC

No one has mentioned the restrictions placed on OC by local municipalities. Even though OC may be legal in the State, some cities will violate you for OC. One example is "disorderly conduct". Such can be and is charged for OC as OC obviously causes anxiety, nervousness, etc among the general public. The average citizen seeing an exposed weapon on someone who is not wearing a badge and/or a uniform is disarmed. I've known of CC permit holders being reported when their weapon was inadvertently exposed, even briefly.

Quote Originally Posted by bookum danno View Post
    No one has mentioned the restrictions placed on OC by local municipalities. Even though OC may be legal in the State, some cities will violate you for OC. One example is "disorderly conduct". Such can be and is charged for OC as OC obviously causes anxiety, nervousness, etc among the general public. The average citizen seeing an exposed weapon on someone who is not wearing a badge and/or a uniform is disarmed. I've known of CC permit holders being reported when their weapon was inadvertently exposed, even briefly.
    Yay for preemption laws!!

8. Quote Originally Posted by bookum danno View Post
    Even though OC may be legal in the State, some cities will violate you for OC. One example is "disorderly conduct". Such can be and is charged for OC as OC obviously causes anxiety, nervousness, etc among the general public.
    Not in Louisiana. Open Carry here is not reason for a Disorderly Conduct charge.

9. [quote=bookum danno;108784]No one has mentioned the restrictions placed on OC by local municipalities. Even though OC may be legal in the State, some cities will violate you for OC.

No law shall abridge the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms for security and defense, for lawful hunting and recreational use and for other lawful purposes, but nothing herein shall be held to permit the carrying of concealed weapons. No municipality or county shall regulate, in any way, an incident of the right to keep and bear arms.
    New Mexico State Constitution
    Quick to the gun, Sure of your grip. Quick to the threat, sure of your shot. - Chris Costa

Quote Originally Posted by bookum danno View Post

I have 7 cities in my state that will restrict the loaded aspect of OC, but still can't make a DC charge stick without a real fight.This is why I carry a digital recorder. With a CC permit, we also have preemption.

Officer felonious slain between 1999 and 2008, 530.

Of those 530, 44 were killed with their own weapon, including one killed with a baton in 2003.

Overall 8.3% over time. Low of 2% and a high of 21% in any given year.

LEOKA Table 1, 2008
    LEOKA Table 14, 2008

Yes, 8.3% is a lot, but remember that a police officers job demands that he or she put themselves into harms way in a number of situations where private citizens would be compelled to retreat, be a good witness, or do nothing.

There are way more officers killed each year in traffic accidents than get killed with their own weapon.
    Ken Grubb
    Puyallup, WA

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast