What benefits to open carry? - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 74

Thread: What benefits to open carry?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Bonneau & Goose Creek, SC
    Posts
    441
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    As far as 1, I suspect that is unproven and I tend to go with "everyone's safer when criminals don't know who's carrying".

    As far as 4, no seeing someone carrying openly doesn't necessarily make them a good guy.

    As to the others, I don't see that they override my answer to 1.
    I totally concur with Unfettered Might and Mappow and have had first hand accounts to support reason #1.

    Open Carry is absolutely a deterrent!

    When the BGs (or maybe they were just A--holes) confronted me and saw my weapon they stopped acting up, harassing people in the store and me.

  2.   
  3. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    As far as 1, I suspect that is unproven and I tend to go with "everyone's safer when criminals don't know who's carrying".
    The study was done by the Justice Department, so I think it carries some factual weight.

    NRA-ILA :: The Armed Criminal In America

    The article speaks of the deterrent factor of firearms to criminals. Reluctance to commit a crime with only the possibility of someone having a gun would be exasperated by the knowledge that they DO have a gun. It stands to reason and no amount of fuzzy logic can disprove that.

    Oh and lets not forget to take into consideration of how many of the "wouldn't care" responses were from "tough guys" who would actually buckle under the presence of an armed citizen.

    It's as close to a scientific study as can be found.

    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    As far as 4, no seeing someone carrying openly doesn't necessarily make them a good guy.
    Most likely, yes it does. Criminals hide their weapons because they don't want the attention it brings because they are....well criminals. Again your response is based on fuzzy logic.

    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    As to the others, I don't see that they override my answer to 1.
    I provided a solid rebuttal to your answer for one, so yes they still stand as valid.

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797
    I've never seen a robbery go down where the BG started off with a OC handgun.



    gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

  5. #14
    Uh, click back and read The Open Carry Argument. Yes, it's long, but everything you want to know is there.

  6. Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    The study was done by the Justice Department, so I think it carries some factual weight.

    NRA-ILA :: The Armed Criminal In America

    The article speaks of the deterrent factor of firearms to criminals. Reluctance to commit a crime with only the possibility of someone having a gun would be exasperated by the knowledge that they DO have a gun. It stands to reason and no amount of fuzzy logic can disprove that.

    Oh and lets not forget to take into consideration of how many of the "wouldn't care" responses were from "tough guys" who would actually buckle under the presence of an armed citizen.

    It's as close to a scientific study as can be found.



    Most likely, yes it does. Criminals hide their weapons because they don't want the attention it brings because they are....well criminals. Again your response is based on fuzzy logic.



    I provided a solid rebuttal to your answer for one, so yes they still stand as valid.
    I briefly skimmed over this article and so I could be way off base. I think that the article basically states a proven fact that a criminal is deterred by knowing or suspecting that a citizen is armed. The question is not posed: "would a citizen carrying openly be more of a deterrent than a person who is carrying concealed?" A criminal could suspect that a person is armed if they are carrying a fanny pack, wearing a vest, or holding a briefcase close to their body. If the criminal has done his homework, he might even know whether someone is carrying a firearm whether or not it is concealed. I think that open carry-concealed carry is an area where people are going to have to agree to disagree. At this point, and it may change with really valid scientific data, I cannot see the advantage of playing poker with my cards face-up for the other players to observe. But I have respect for the viewpoint of others who have looked at the same factors and made a different decision.

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lake Norman
    Posts
    22
    One of the problems we face today is that the left has demonized firearms and those who carry them. I read a post from some guy who said that if you carry a gun you are a criminal. He was serious and he is not the only one to feel this way.

    That being said, the more people who OC the less sensitive society is apt to be over the whole issue. I have worked in the private protection profession for a long time and I have been through a lot of training. I have never seen or heard of an OC person drawing from the strong side and committing a crime. Unless you count the old west movies when the BGs rob a bank.

    I would prefer to OC for many reasons already stated by other posters, but I teach CC because it is necessary. If CC is so great and the presence of a gun is not a deterrent then cops should just go plain clothed as well as armed security and they should all CC.

    Troy Perry
    The Contingency Group

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    I've never seen a robbery go down where the BG started off with a OC handgun.



    gf
    Since OC is illegal most places, that might have a lot to do with your observation (which of course is nothing but anecdotal). It would be difficult to get good statistics. With Concealed Carry we had no CC and then could observe what happened with "shall issue". Even that is not proof that the decrease in crime and violence particularly confrontational crime was a result of the "shall issue".

    Of course if we got OC your observation might change. If lot's of people are carrying, the BG can carry without attacting attention.
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

  9. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by NcPermit View Post
    One of the problems we face today is that the left has demonized firearms and those who carry them. I read a post from some guy who said that if you carry a gun you are a criminal. He was serious and he is not the only one to feel this way.

    That being said, the more people who OC the less sensitive society is apt to be over the whole issue. I have worked in the private protection profession for a long time and I have been through a lot of training. I have never seen or heard of an OC person drawing from the strong side and committing a crime. Unless you count the old west movies when the BGs rob a bank.

    I would prefer to OC for many reasons already stated by other posters, but I teach CC because it is necessary. If CC is so great and the presence of a gun is not a deterrent then cops should just go plain clothed as well as armed security and they should all CC.

    Troy Perry
    The Contingency Group
    The advantage is when concealed carry becomes popular (I forget the numbers but I'm thinking at about 5%) confrontational crime drops because criminals don't know who might be armed. So everyone, not just those who are carrying is safer. With open carry, criminals might avoid those they can see carrying but then they likely would turn to those who are not openly carrying. Then too with open carry criminals can carry openly with no one thinking ill about it.

    I guess the only solution is legal open and concealed carry and a push to get as many people as possible to just carry.
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    I guess the only solution is legal open and concealed carry and a push to get as many people as possible to just carry.
    Exactly.

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    Since OC is illegal most places, that might have a lot to do with your observation (which of course is nothing but anecdotal). It would be difficult to get good statistics. With Concealed Carry we had no CC and then could observe what happened with "shall issue". Even that is not proof that the decrease in crime and violence particularly confrontational crime was a result of the "shall issue".

    Of course if we got OC your observation might change. If lot's of people are carrying, the BG can carry without attacting attention.
    According to Opencarry.org, it appears that over half of the U.S. states allow some form of OC, so I don't understand where you get the idea that "OC is illegal most places". There may not be many studies done, or a lot of available statistics, but your argument is flawed.

    What was the purpose of your post other than an attempt at another personal attack on what I have to say or an attempt to get a reaction from me? You've done this to me and to others in the past. This leads me to believe that you're more "anti" than "pro" 2a.

    I did see in your following post you state
    I guess the only solution is legal open and concealed carry and a push to get as many people as possible to just carry.
    I don't understand why you can't simply agree that we need to educate members of the public, rather than attack someone on an issue for no apparent reason.



    gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Open Carry Argument
    By Mainsail in forum Open Carry Discussion
    Replies: 611
    Last Post: 05-23-2017, 05:42 PM
  2. Open carry legal in Michigan
    By venator in forum Michigan Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 05-19-2015, 08:08 AM
  3. 10 Commandments of Concealed Carry
    By HK4U in forum Concealed Carry Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 10:51 AM
  4. Polymer Composite Lower Receiver
    By Red Hat in forum Long Guns Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-15-2010, 02:30 AM
  5. H 3003 In House Judiciary Committee
    By Red Hat in forum South Carolina Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 04:43 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast