What benefits to open carry? - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: What benefits to open carry?

Strong opinions for and against. I know if I could open carry I would not. But if I did I would have a concealed BUG.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

I do hold an Oregon CHL as well as others. At times I will open carry but normally only when fishing or backpacking/camping. If I need to stop at a town or city enroute to where my destination is, if I'm OC then I will continue to be.
    Other reasons to have your CHL in Oregon is: 1) You don't have to worry about printing/accidental exposure of gun, 2) Some cities that have banned OC, which the exception of Springfield, cannot be enforced if you have an Oregon CHL. 3) Cars are considered as Public, as recently determined by the Oregon Supreme Court (pistol seen or found by police in passenger area is considered open carry).

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    maybejim says that he"guesses that the only solution is legal open and conceal carry and a push to get as many people as possible to just carry". To me, that is the only solution, without question, no guessing. Open carry is definitely a stop sign. Only a complete moron with an IQ of room temperature would not think more than twice about victimizing someone openly carrying a gun. People aren't safer because conceal carry is legal, only the people carrying concealed are safer. Conceal carry is legal where I live, (open carry is legal too) however, the vast majority is totally ignorant of their gun rights. They don't have a clue, and therefore confrontations are not fewer. Also, the majority, of that ignorant majority, would not own a gun, let alone carry even if they could.

Only those who conceal carry are safer than those who don't. Those who open carry are safer than those who conceal carry. All of those in the presence of the open carrier are safer. The BG's are well aware of the law and the statistics proving the ignorance of the public, to include the majority's fear of guns and attitude toward guns, which brings me back to the STOP SIGN.
    I'm with you Ringo.

The statistics maybejim cited are correct in the sense that where CC is allowed crime goes down. But, those statistics do NOT support or show any evidence that CC is safer that OC. I also agre with maybejim's assertion that the BEST thing to have happen would be to allow choice when it comes to carrying; then encourage as many people to carry as possible.

It is also a mis-stated belief that OC "only" benefits the carrier. This is simply untrue. A recent situation at a Waffle House in GA seems to support the FACT that being in the presense of a "openly" armed citizen is safer than being around someone who may be "hiding" the fact they have a gun..

By the confession of the BG's involved in the GA situation: They decided NOT to rob the place "because" of the two OC'ers. This leads me to believe that if the two OC'ers had been CC'ing chances are the BG's would have robbed the resturant and all it's patrons; maybe even shooting some of them.

BUT!!!!!

Instead, when the BG's saw two OC'ers they decided "against" robbing the place.

These OC'ers undoubtedly prevented a crime AND protected EVERYONE in the resturaunt that day. Every single person was "SAFER" that day because of two people who were "OPENLY" carrying their firearms.

In reading through this thread one thing occurred to me. If you are OC then the BG will stay away from you and go on to someone else. Therefore you are protecting yourself. However if the BG doesn't know if you are CC or not and suspects that many others are then he may not commit the crime at all. Therefore OC protects you but CC protects everyone.

Just a thought. I wish SC would do like TN and allow either OC or CC with a permit. However I am not a big proponent of allowing a 14 year old walk down main street with handgun on his side as long as it is OC like I understand one state allows.

Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    In reading through this thread one thing occurred to me. If you are OC then the BG will stay away from you and go on to someone else. Therefore you are protecting yourself. However if the BG doesn't know if you are CC or not and suspects that many others are then he may not commit the crime at all. Therefore OC protects you but CC protects everyone.
    The incident in GA seems to confirm the opposite. The bgs saw the guns the OCers had and decided against robbing the resturaunt; thus protecting "everyone" who was there. So citing this particular case, OC was what kept everyone safe.

The bgs is this instance stated that very thing. They saw guns and changed their mind. If they did NOT see guns (aka two CCers); they would have robbed the place and the patrons. (This could have ended very bad for everyone had the OCers not been present.)

Just a thought. I wish SC would do like TN and allow either OC or CC with a permit. However I am not a big proponent of allowing a 14 year old walk down main street with handgun on his side as long as it is OC like I understand one state allows.
    I agree with you about SC.

Do you know what state allows a 14yr old to walk down the street with a "HAND" gun?

Before the advent of CC laws, I did carry a handgun in TN and MS at times. But, since the CC laws have been implemented I know of NO state that allows anyone under 18 carry a handgun; UNless they're hunting with an adult.

I also agree about SC, since SC has a Shall-issue* concealed carry permit system. The asterisk is included because although the standards for permit issue are objective and consistant, the permit has so many exceptions to make it of little practicality.

[QUOTE=FN1910;116548] . However if the BG doesn't know if you are CC or not and suspects that many others are then he may not commit the crime at all. Therefore OC protects you but CC protects everyone.

Yea, the BG's won't victimize anyone because they don't know if you're carrying concealed or not, and, suspects that many others are, so therefor everyone's protected. Aah, okay. I guess that's why there's so little crime today, you just never know who's carrying
    ~ HEAVEN Has A Wall And A Strict Immigration Policy - HELL Has Open Borders ~

[quote=Ringo;116624]
    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    . However if the BG doesn't know if you are CC or not and suspects that many others are then he may not commit the crime at all. Therefore OC protects you but CC protects everyone.

Yea, the BG's won't victimize anyone because they don't know if you're carrying concealed or not, and, suspects that many others are, so therefor everyone's protected. Aah, okay. I guess that's why there's so little crime today, you just never know who's carrying.
    It certainly explains the statistics. But maybe you have a better explanation? I would suggest that everyone interested in pushing the country to following the 2nd Amendment read both books by John Lott. There's a lot of good facts there.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

OC gives you an additional pick-up line too: "What's your caliber?"
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

Quote Originally Posted by AvidshooterTX View Post
    OC gives you an additional pick-up line too: "What's your caliber?"
    All that would get me is shot by my wife!!
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast