What benefits to open carry? - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 74

Thread: What benefits to open carry?

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ARIZONA-a short distance from the sun
    Posts
    8,904
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post

    It certainly explains the statistics. But maybe you have a better explanation? I would suggest that everyone interested in pushing the country to following the 2nd Amendment read both books by John Lott. There's a lot of good facts there.
    What statistics are you referring to? A better explanation for what? Facts concerning what in particular?
    ~ God Hates Religion ~
    "But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be condemned to HELL"

  2.   
  3. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    What statistics are you referring to? A better explanation for what? Facts concerning what in particular?
    The statistics that show crime, particularly confrontational crime goes down when "shall issue" carry is instituted and continues to go down as more people carry concealed. The two books by John Lott go into it in quite a bit of detail with the most comprehensive study ever done on gun control laws and crime.
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    ARIZONA-a short distance from the sun
    Posts
    8,904
    Quote Originally Posted by maybejim View Post
    The statistics that show crime, particularly confrontational crime goes down when "shall issue" carry is instituted and continues to go down as more people carry concealed. The two books by John Lott go into it in quite a bit of detail with the most comprehensive study ever done on gun control laws and crime.
    I understand the "shall issue" carry and crime goes down thing, "goes down" however is a very minor statistic in the overall scheme of things. Phoenix for instance is OC & CC, but has an extremely high rate of crime regardless. If the majority of citizens were to arm themselves and let it be known, crime would go down, but that will never happen. When only 1, maybe 2 % of the citizens CC, and 99 9/10 of crime is unaffected because of those 98% who don't, crime doesn't go down. A mugging, rape, etc., being thwarted by a citizen with a CCW is almost unheard of, let alone home invasion where the majority of people don't have guns even in their homes. I agree that if more citizens would arm themselves there would be less crime, but until the statistics show that the majority of citizens are armed that won't happen per the statistics. The BG's know the statistics, and the odds of a person being armed, and the odds are in their favor. Everyone is not protected or safer just because "shall issue" is legal or instituted, only the CCW holder, carrying concealed, is safer. Not safe, just safer. With OC the odds change 99 % in favor of everyone being safe or safer. IMO.
    ~ God Hates Religion ~
    "But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be condemned to HELL"

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    St. Louis County, MO
    Posts
    3,445
    For me the benefit of open carry is more about comfort. If I do not have to conceal, any outfit will suit open carry...My holster have good retention and I do not allow anyone to come oh sooo near me anyway. I am not a hugger kind of woman either unless it is my husband of course and my kids. Other people, though it sounds cold..., I shake hands....

    "Don't let the door hit ya where the dawg shudda bit ya!"
    G'day and Glock
    GATEWAY SWIFT WING ST. LOUIS

  6. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by tcox4freedom View Post
    Do you know what state allows a 14yr old to walk down the street with a "HAND" gun?

    Before the advent of CC laws, I did carry a handgun in TN and MS at times. But, since the CC laws have been implemented I know of NO state that allows anyone under 18 carry a handgun; UNless they're hunting with an adult.
    I do not remember what state it is but it came to light in one case. I may be wrong but I seem to remember and too lazy to look it up but at least one state allows 16 year olds to obtain a Concealed Permit. This was the argument that SLED was making when SC was debating the change in Reciprocity.

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lake Norman
    Posts
    22
    I would agree that the BGs would think twice about victimizing citizens if they took the time to think about who may be carrying and who may not. Unfortunately, while crooks spend lots of time thinking of their next brainiac move , I am not sure they spend any time researching statistics. If we applied the same logic to cops that is used in the argument of CC over OC then why don't we ask Police Officers to stop wearing uniforms and start concealing their handguns and cuffs? This way crooks would not know who were cops and who weren't. By this logic, crime would then be non-existent. In fact, no more marked patrol cars. Now no-one will speed.

    You may say, "Great idea!. Put a plain wrapper on everything and crooks will be too scared to commit crimes." Wrong. They will just be too scared to commit crimes against those who look like cops in plain wrappers.
    The flaws are obvious when this theory is applied to law enforcement because we know their uniformed presence is a deterrent to crime. Just like we know that OC is a deterrent to crime. We also know that we are all wary of the unmarked cars just like some of the smarter crooks are wary of the CCer. However, we all know when we are on that straight two lane road and don't see a car in sight we are apt to drive a little faster, but we are never really sure where the next cop may be hiding so we don't push it too far.

    I think a healthy balance of both CC and OC are good for society because it keeps the crooks guessing. However, the best reason to OC I have found is that it cuts down on the liberal rhetoric when standing in line at the grocery.

    Troy Perry
    The Contingency Group

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    GA but a resident of TN
    Posts
    170
    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I do not remember what state it is but it came to light in one case. I may be wrong but I seem to remember and too lazy to look it up but at least one state allows 16 year olds to obtain a Concealed Permit. This was the argument that SLED was making when SC was debating the change in Reciprocity.
    OK i will start by answering the trivia question for 500 Alex. "What is Montana?" The way the law read just a few weeks ago when I was reading through MT's laws said that one must be 14 years of age to carry a handgun in the open without supervision. I am wondering what the stipulation is for one with supervision. I was studing thier laws for an upcoming trip and still cant believe but also know my children wont test it. (they are only 5yrs and 6 months)

    As for OC vs CC I have to agree with alot on here and remember your asking this under the Open Carry thread not the Conceal Carry thread. That OC is better then CC for everyone. The BG is no longer "guessing" who has a gun he KNOWS. I have recently OC for my first time and will do more in the future but just like under my last thread I Finally Did It I fell there is a time and place to cover it up to avoid confrontations. But if I were a BG and I saw someone OCing then I would have to go on to wonder how many more guns are there in this store that I cant see. But if I didnt see any guns at all I would probally not think about the CCers SO i have to say OC is a much bigger stop sign the "ohh yeah this state shall issues I should watch my self"

    With the study of the women that were raped and or were able to fend off the attackers with or with out a gun how many of the women in that study were openly carring when they got raped? I willing to bet not a whole lot because the numbers prover that the gun fends them off once the BG knows about it show IMO if she were OC then the attack wouldnt have happened to her and she would not be included in the study. But yes a woman that is CC is going to defend her self better then the one with out a gun but why get let yourself be a victim and have to draw your weapon.

    I do NOT carry my firearm so that I can go kill someone or shoot a BG. I carry to protect me and my family from the BG attacking us and doing so with the least amount of force available. If this means I draw and he runs then I succeeded but if that means Im able to high tail it outta there then guess what Im doing BUT if I can get the BG to realize his life is in danger and go somewhere else or just leave me alone by OC then why wouldnt I do that? I am not here to protect everyone I am NOT a bodygaurd or LEO. I AM an armed citizen here to deter crime from me and my family. I have to ask you know why do you carry? To stop the BG or to shoot a BG?
    "The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country." - General Patton

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,450
    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I do not remember what state it is but it came to light in one case. I may be wrong but I seem to remember and too lazy to look it up but at least one state allows 16 year olds to obtain a Concealed Permit. This was the argument that SLED was making when SC was debating the change in Reciprocity.

    I didn't know that either; and I'm not sure I can believe it without proof. If true this would be ridiculous.

    Did you get this info from the OpenCarry.org site?

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,450
    Quote Originally Posted by NcPermit View Post
    I think a healthy balance of both CC and OC are good for society because it keeps the crooks guessing. However, the best reason to OC I have found is that it cuts down on the liberal rhetoric when standing in line at the grocery.

    Troy Perry
    The Contingency Group
    I agree completely while I'm LOL!

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by FN1910 View Post
    I do not remember what state it is but it came to light in one case. I may be wrong but I seem to remember and too lazy to look it up but at least one state allows 16 year olds to obtain a Concealed Permit. This was the argument that SLED was making when SC was debating the change in Reciprocity.
    Four states don't even have an age limit, guess they expect the parents to (gasp) make the decision if their children are mature enough.

    OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Open Carry Argument
    By Mainsail in forum Open Carry Discussion
    Replies: 611
    Last Post: 05-23-2017, 05:42 PM
  2. Open carry legal in Michigan
    By venator in forum Michigan Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 05-19-2015, 08:08 AM
  3. 10 Commandments of Concealed Carry
    By HK4U in forum Concealed Carry Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 10:51 AM
  4. Polymer Composite Lower Receiver
    By Red Hat in forum Long Guns Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-15-2010, 02:30 AM
  5. H 3003 In House Judiciary Committee
    By Red Hat in forum South Carolina Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 04:43 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast