What benefits to open carry? - Page 6
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 74

Thread: What benefits to open carry?

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    South Carolina USA
    Posts
    1,450
    Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Four states don't even have an age limit, guess they expect the parents to (gasp) make the decision if their children are mature enough.

    OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!

    I can agree with allowing parents to decide if a child is "mature" enough to handle a firearm in hunting and target shooting situations. But, I don't know about for SD purposes.

    On "ONE" hand, it seems to me that parents should be able to decide; AND some sort of qualifying (something similar to a hunter safety course) required. On the "other" hand, I don't think children should be subject to this kind of responsibility.

    I almost shot a bully with a shotgun when I was about 14. I would have been totally & completely within my rights because he had broken into my home and physically attacked me. However looking back, a ballbat or some other weapon would have been a better choice. As a child of 14, I just could not control my rage at this guy.

    There is NOT a day that goes by that I'm glad the safety was on.

    But then again, in this day & age teenage children need the ability to protect themselves more than ever! I know when my kids reach that age I will do everything in my power to see they are "fully" able to protect themselves.

    It drives me crazy just thinking about it!

  2.   
  3. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    In MI.when you open carry you have to have a registered firearm,registered to your name,and you cant register it if you are a felon,
    The Supreme Court has ruled that you don't have to register if you are a felon - it violates the 5th amendment.
    Avidshooter (Texas)
    "The real destroyer of the liberties of the people is he who spreads among them bounties, donations and benefits." -- Plutarch

  4. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kalifornia & Idaho
    Posts
    1,052
    I would urge you again to read John Lott's books that are the most complete evaluation of the actual facts. It covers a lot of different laws and combination of laws. They are a good read and I know the first book is available in paperback and maybe the second so it's not all that expensive.
    Maybejim

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

    What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

  5. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Lowcountry, SC
    Posts
    457
    The benefit for me is convenience for going to or from hunting or fishing.

  6. #55
    None that I can think of, when you work in uniform armed you have to constantly be aware of the location of your firearm and people who are around you to make sure someone does not try to snatch the gun. Remember they can see it easily and plan their approach if you are not paying attention. Concealed, they don't really know you are carrying anything (if done right) and you don't have to be on constant alert for folks moving up on your gun side (remember they don't know the guns their). I have a much more relaxed day carrying consealed then open. That said , if you are working around your ranch all day open carry is a diffrent story.

  7. Quote Originally Posted by gun papa View Post
    I open carried in AZ 13 years ago because I had no CCW. I had NO problems then.

    I have a CCW and ask what are the benefits of OC? Why would I open carry besides that I CAN?

    I am not trying to start a flame war or rubbing my CCW in anyone's face.

    Personally, I believe that WE have the right to carry any way we want. I CCW all of the time. I wear it unless I am in the shower or bed.

    Does anyone open carry when they have a CCW? Is open carry mainly in areas where a CCW is near impossible to obtain? papa
    I usually do oc at my home. if I am going to shopping, fishing, store, and every where I MUST concealed carry.

    The bg can see your openly carry and wait for you come out of the store the bg can attack you and take your firearm away and took off from your loss firearm. you have to call to the police that your gun has stolen by the bg.
    NRA Life Member

  8. #57
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797
    Quote Originally Posted by RRGlock23 View Post
    I usually do oc at my home. if I am going to shopping, fishing, store, and every where I MUST concealed carry.

    The bg can see your openly carry and wait for you come out of the store the bg can attack you and take your firearm away and took off from your loss firearm. you have to call to the police that your gun has stolen by the bg.
    There's no evidence that BG will wait to attack OCers. If you know of any cases, please cite your source.



    gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

  9. Quote Originally Posted by RRGlock23 View Post
    The bg can see your openly carry and wait for you come out of the store the bg can attack you and take your firearm away and took off from your loss firearm. you have to call to the police that your gun has stolen by the bg.
    Sure, that could happen, but there has never been a documented case of it happening in reality.

    However, we do have documentation of the following:

    Open carry deters armed robbery in Kennesaw


  10. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Lake Norman
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Sure, that could happen, but there has never been a documented case of it happening in reality.

    However, we do have documentation of the following:

    Open carry deters armed robbery in Kennesaw

    This is exactly the kind of incident where EVERYONE benefits from OC. The cops, the patrons, the Waffle House employees and even the crooks. I say the crooks, because the only thing that happened to them was an arrest.

    Two men who were minding their own business thwarted a violent attack and never drew a firearm. This is the way it should be. In case you didn't read the story this is the most important part...
    "Captain Jerry Quan, the Commander for Precinct One, where the Waffle House is located, confirmed Matt Brannan's story as one in which the open display of a pistol deterred a well armed robbery crew. "


    Troy Perry
    The Contingency Group

  11. #60
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Honolulu, HI & Salt Lake City, UT
    Posts
    2,797
    Crooks like to find the path of least resistance. Though well armed, when presented with a situation where they knew that there would be armed people in their way, they decided to look for another target.

    This goes contrary to many who believe that BG will simply shoot an OCer first, or possibly target an OCer to steal their firearm.




    gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Open Carry Argument
    By Mainsail in forum Open Carry Discussion
    Replies: 611
    Last Post: 05-23-2017, 04:42 PM
  2. Open carry legal in Michigan
    By venator in forum Michigan Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 05-19-2015, 07:08 AM
  3. 10 Commandments of Concealed Carry
    By HK4U in forum Concealed Carry Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 09:51 AM
  4. Polymer Composite Lower Receiver
    By Red Hat in forum Long Guns Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 02-15-2010, 01:30 AM
  5. H 3003 In House Judiciary Committee
    By Red Hat in forum South Carolina Discussion and Firearm News
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-30-2009, 03:43 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast