What benefits to open carry?
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What benefits to open carry?

1. What benefits to open carry?

I open carried in AZ 13 years ago because I had no CCW. I had NO problems then.

I have a CCW and ask what are the benefits of OC? Why would I open carry besides that I CAN?

I am not trying to start a flame war or rubbing my CCW in anyone's face.

Personally, I believe that WE have the right to carry any way we want. I CCW all of the time. I wear it unless I am in the shower or bed.

Does anyone open carry when they have a CCW? Is open carry mainly in areas where a CCW is near impossible to obtain? papa

I Open Carried for years in Georgia back in the 80's.
    Eventually, I got a Conceal Carry Permit but still Open Carried when I wanted.
    Reason I got my permit to CC was because some of the issues I experienced in Atlanta.

I live in South Carolina now, where it is illegal to open carry unless you are one of the elite citizens.

It was a lot more comfortable to open carry and not have to worry about concealment when working, moving, driving, etc.

What benefits to open carry?

N O N E.

IMO

1) Deterrent factor, statistically proven. (Shouldn't this be a good enough reason)

2) Draw weapon faster than from a concealed position in an emergency, prevents fumbling.

3) Chance to educate others about their 2A when they ask about your firearm.

4) If someone needs help detaining a BG until LE arrives (See #1) or stopping a shooter, they know who to ask.

5) Easier to carry a large frame handgun, thereby improving accuracy of multiple shot placement.

6) In many states you would be exercising a RIGHT instead of a PRIVILEGE.

7) In my state at least, it's the only way to carry into a police station, sheriff's office or courthouse. Don't think that bad scenarios can't happen there, they can and have.

That being said, a CCW does have it perks. Going to a kids birthday party would be one situation where even I would CC and I'm a die hard OC proponent.

You should ask this question over on Open Carry Dot Org. You will probably get the answer of why would anyone ever want to CC and some even saying that if you CC you might as well not carry at all. I think there are times for both but I still wonder why there is a difference in the laws. Personally I think that the laws that say any idiot can walk down the street with a gun as long as it is in the open but they have to have a special permit to put it in their pocket are just holding on to the old "gentlemen's agreement" idea which has gone the way of the rotary dial telephone.

OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum

My home state of FLA used to be an OC state. Liberals moved in, got in State House and that was that. I reside in SC now and it's the same, NO OC. UNFETTERED states it about right, comfort, ease and my right to (or at least it should be). The CCP should cover both IMHO!

8. The folks who "open carry" have very strong feelings about their position. I would hate to be a uniformed LEO. I think hardened criminals would view the uniform more as "the first target" rather than a deterrent. I have made the decision for myself that an open carry firearm is a "uniform" of sorts, but everyone has to make up their own mind. As for the posters who state that open carry has been proven to be a deterrent, I would really like to see that research. I think if someone could cite the scientific study and how the data was collected, it could be very useful in helping people make a decision about whether to carry open or concealed.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    1) Deterrent factor, statistically proven. (Shouldn't this be a good enough reason)

2) Draw weapon faster than from a concealed position in an emergency, prevents fumbling.

3) Chance to educate others about their 2A when they ask about your firearm.

4) If someone needs help detaining a BG until LE arrives (See #1) or stopping a shooter, they know who to ask.

5) Easier to carry a large frame handgun, thereby improving accuracy of multiple shot placement.

6) In many states you would be exercising a RIGHT instead of a PRIVILEGE.

7) In my state at least, it's the only way to carry into a police station, sheriff's office or courthouse. Don't think that bad scenarios can't happen there, they can and have.

That being said, a CCW does have it perks. Going to a kids birthday party would be one situation where even I would CC and I'm a die hard OC proponent.
    As far as 1, I suspect that is unproven and I tend to go with "everyone's safer when criminals don't know who's carrying".

As far as 4, no seeing someone carrying openly doesn't necessarily make them a good guy.

As to the others, I don't see that they override my answer to 1.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears

10. I OC when out in the desert shooting, but I always have a hideaway gun or an AK pistol ready. I CC when at the normal gun range as it is unsupervised and you never know who you are going to come across.

I work with the public in a LEO capacity, I have worked mental health. When I am off I keep to myself, I carry for my own protection and believe I would be hard pressed to get involved to protect anyone else unless directly under duress. That may sound shitty, but that is how it is.

I don't think I could generally OC. I respect everyone else's right to OC.

11. In MI.when you open carry you have to have a registered firearm,registered to your name,and you cant register it if you are a felon,

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast