Open Carry States - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry States

1. Hi, I'm new here but have been using weapons for some time now. Retired USMC.
    Anyway, on the issue of traveling through other states with a weapon for self defense, I have looked at the colored maps put out by several organizations that show where I can and can't carry my weapon, either conceled or open. I currently live in VA and have CWP.
    My question here is: The maps seem to refer to what residents of the state can do, but they seem very unclear about what a traveler can do while just passing through.
    I will be traveling by air to Colorado (I know the TSA rules) to drive a u-haul back to Virginia. I want to have a means of self defense while on the road. Having to put my weapon, unloaded and locked in a hard box, in the back of the truck hardly gives me protection.
    I understand Denver's support of the unregistered thugs against armed citizens rule, not that I agree with it. As far as the rest of the route home can someone enlighten me as to were I can have my weapon at my side ready to defend myself without having to be a resident of each state?

Ken
    USMC GySgt Ret. 1968 - 1993

You should plot out your trip on Mapquest then check whick states share reciprocity with VA using the maps on this site

4. Awwww, comeon BlackJack. I stated in my post what problem I was having. Read my last sentence again and if you know for sure the answer, then please post. Thank you.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Glock Fan View Post
    Washington state issues a "Concealed Pistol License". They don't issue a "Concealed Weapon Permit" or a "Concealed Weapon License".

Florida OTOH issues a "Concealed Weapons License". The difference is what you're allowed to carry under the authority of the license. If the state issues a "Pistol" or "Firearms" license, then the license is restricted to "firearms" or "pistols" unless otherwise authorized by law or statute. In the case of Florida, the use of the term "Weapons" would allow the licensee to carry knives, daggers, etc. unless otherwise limited or restricted by law.

I AM NOT A LAWYER! DO NOT TAKE ANYTHING I POST AS "LEGAL ADVICE". I'M AN EXPERIENCED FIREARMS INSTRUCTOR WITH PERMITS/LICENSES IN VAROIUS STATES OF WHICH I UNDERSTAND THE LAWS GOVERNING THE CONDITIONS AND RESTRICTIONS OF THE LICENSE/PERMIT. PLEASE CONSULT AN ATTORNEY FAMILIAR WITH FIREARMS LAWS IN THE RESPECTIVE JURISDICTIONS IN QUESTION FOR "LEGAL ADVICE'.

gf
    Yeah I noticed Florida "Concealed Weapon or Firearm License". I can carry firearm or any weapon (knives or whatever).

Yeah I noticed Nevada "Concealed Firearms Permit". I can only firearms semi autos or revolvers, not knives or others.

Most states have different permits issue "Weapon", "Firearm", and "Pistol".
    NRA Life Member

6. Quote Originally Posted by EasternSP View Post
    Awwww, comeon BlackJack. I stated in my post what problem I was having. Read my last sentence again and if you know for sure the answer, then please post. Thank you.
    You need to check it out NRA-ILA ::
    NRA Life Member

I'm not sure I am understanding your question but maybe this will help?

According to the site maps these states in blue honor your permit. But you would have to find out if they are CC or OC states.
    Attached Images Attached Images Open Carry States-co_to_va.jpg 

once i get my CCW i can take my gun into MI... or the state premitted, excpet two
    The only bad gun, is a empty one.

As far as Colorado is concerned, you can carry a loaded pistol in the vehicle with you anywhere in the state, and you can open carry, except in down town Denver. As for Kansas I can't tell you for sure but it is an OC state with some local restrictions, so for the most part you should be good, but you should do some homework on Kansas so you don't get yourself into trouble. The rest of the states between CO and VA have reciprocity with VA except the dreaded state of Illinois. If you can find a way around the bottom of IL, then you should be good. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi Gunny

10. ok, thanks for the advice and leads. I'm back from my trip. Exercised my 2nd Amendment rights all the way home. The anti-gun community can kiss my shiny, spent cartriges.

yes the anit gunners can kiss all of our arses
    The only bad gun, is a empty one.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast