How to obtain open-carry/concealed permit in California
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to obtain open-carry/concealed permit in California

How to obtain open-carry/concealed permit in California

I am new to this site and this is my first post, so my apologies for my ignorance.

I'm looking for assistance in the steps to acquiring either the open-carry or concealed weapons permit. (Unsure if concealed is attainable in California without certain previlages)

I have the qualifications of great moral character, and live in an area where it's better to be protected than not.....though it's in our constitution to have the right to bare arms...legally, I want to do it right. But they talk about two courses. Either a 16 hour course, or a community college course not to exceed 24-hrs certified by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training.

Then there's the obvious Psych testing and application process.

I llive in Contra Costa County (Northern Califnornia). Can anyone help or direct me in the right direction to get started?

Much Appreciated.
    Last edited by Fischer; 02-25-2010 at 04:51 PM. Reason: sentence incomplete & some incorrect spelling

3. Quote Originally Posted by Fischer View Post
    I am new to this site and this is my first post, so my apologies for my ignorance.

I'm looking for assistance in the steps to acquiring either the open-carry or concealed weapons permit. (Unsure if concealed is attainable in California without certain previlages)

I have the qualifications of great moral character, and live in an area where it's better to be protected than not.....though it's in our constitution to have the right to bare arms...legally, I want to do it right. But they talk about two courses. Either a 16 hour course, or a community college course not to exceed 24-hrs certified by the Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training.

I llive in Contra Costa County (Northern Califnornia). Can anyone help or direct me in the right direction to get started?

Much Appreciated.
    All I can think of is California Concealed Carry Permit Information

sorry :(

The Liberals actually allow this in California? What'll be next.........Ohhhhh, I get it now. Another way to tax the citizens.

Angry tax

that's all it's ever been
    molon labe

The Kalifornia White-to-carry System

You have to understand that in the State of California, or as some call it Kalifornia, you do not have a fairly administered concealed carry law. In it's place you have something that is a holdover from the segregation era Jim Crow laws. The system in place in California should be reffered to as white-to-carry. Race and the racial makeup of the county you are applying in, is more of a factor on whether you can get a permit than any other qualifying factor. If you apply in a county that has a sizable black or hispanic population, the chances of getting a permit are drastically reduced based on how large the black or hispanic population is in that county. Worse yet, if you happen for some reason to be black or hispanic, then the system dictates that you are inadaqute to handle the responcability of carrying firearms based on your "pre-existing conditions". According to the state of California, black and hispanic people are unable to demonstate a need to own firearms. White people don't always have the same encumberance unless of course they live in a predominately black or hispanic neighborhood.

That being said, in Contra Costa county it has been well documented by a gentleman by the name of Jim March that the carry permit system is a blatent means of handing out political favors. Google Jim March and you can find his website that is full of information on just how bad the carry law is in California, and in particular, Contra Costa county.

Here are a few tips that may help your chances at getting a permit to carry in Contra Costa county,
    1- Make sure your name does not indicate that you are of black or hispanic origin, this is a big one since California's carry permit system is basically designed to keep permits out of the hands of black and hispanic people.
    2- Get a job as a lawyer, doctor, or police officer. These profesions are shall we say, over-represented among the subset of the population that can get a carry permit.
    3- Develope political conections. Political favors are handed out to those who help out.

Now if any of the above offends you as the applicant, or any of the other readers, I remind you that we are talking about California and not Candyland. If you find that a realistic portrayal of the current situation in California is in bad taste, offensive or inapropriate, then you should do what you can to change the situation. Do not shoot the messenger because you don't like the message.

I personally am appalled at the Blatently racist system in place in California. However, I am not in the best position to change it. I can inform and persuade people closer to California to do what they can to change the system in place.

Quote Originally Posted by Fischer View Post

Much Appreciated.
    I lived and worked in that area for over 8 years while in the military. You live in a very Democratic "Liberal" stronghold. The chance of obtaining a CCW permit is almost zero. With that being said, just Google/Bing your requested information and it will bring up some California CCW sights that can provide some insight. Beyond that, go visit the County Sheriff's office. California, in many ares is a Republic unto itself and ignores the general population, until it needs help.

8. I lived in CA for many years.

The people who are OCers without permit. They (group of OCers) are good to go I have heard. Most OCers in San Diego, Orange County, North County (San Diego), and few counties.

California is the hardest to get a ccw permit. You must have a "good cause" up there.
    NRA Life Member

9. Good Cause?

What falls under the description of "good Cause"?

Quote Originally Posted by ThBeav View Post
    What falls under the description of "good Cause"?
    It depends on the county. In San Francisco it helps to be the Representative to Congress. In the rest of the bay area you must be politically connected. In Los Angeles County you have to be famous and wealthy. In Riverside you have to have given a lot of money to the Sheriff's campaign committee.
    In Kern, Tuolumne, and some other rural counties you have to be a citizen with a clean record who hasn't pissed off the Sheriff.
    Every county is different and you're in one of the most difficult.

Go to http://www.calguns.net/

and http://calccw.com/ -- be prepared to read a lot. Join and ask questions; listen to what people say.

If you have money, get ahold of Team BillyJack: http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Here is 65 pages worth of reading...

CA Firearms Laws

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast