open carry on a motorcycle in michigan - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: open carry on a motorcycle in michigan

1. Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    Sounds like that cinched it.

Going by the INTENTION of that law preventing OC in a vehicle, which is obviously to prevent a traffic stop by a LEO who won't know your armed, you can OC on a bike. It's as much in the open as if your were walking and I'd wager that if taken to court, the charges would be dropped, especially considering the definition that a motorcycle IS NOT a motor vehicle. According to that link anyway.
    UM, very well stated, Im inclined to think you a lawyer of some sort. But as another keeps saying" grey or gray"

Motorcycles are still probably considered vehicles under traffic law and not as exempted for insurance policy laws. They must have all turn signals, head lights, LICENSE PLATES. Safety equipment including helments etc.. Now if it occurs that a MC is a VCHL then a MC/OC should have locked up that weapon in a compartment.

Quote Originally Posted by micpl View Post
    UM, very well stated, Im inclined to think you a lawyer of some sort. But as another keeps saying" grey or gray"

Motorcycles are still probably considered vehicles under traffic law and not as exempted for insurance policy laws. They must have all turn signals, head lights, LICENSE PLATES. Safety equipment including helments etc.. Now if it occurs that a MC is a VCHL then a MC/OC should have locked up that weapon in a compartment.
    I was at a gathering last week and some of the attendees were active with Mich Open Carry. This subject came up then as well. I think that RK's question OC on a Bike is being talked about about the state in multiple formats. It is a great question and one that needs and deserves a clear/clean answer.
    Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab
    The way I read it....a CPL is required for vehicle carry...OC or CC...and I'm willing to bet that MI vehicle code classifies a motorcycle as a vehicle. So as long as you have your CPL you are legal.
    Quote Originally Posted by ricbak View Post
    That is exactly what makes it "Grey" or "Gray"... Is a bicycle a Vehicle?
    MI vehicle code

257.79 “Vehicle” defined.
    Sec. 79. “Vehicle” means every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be
    transported or drawn upon a highway, except devices exclusively moved by human power or used exclusively
    upon stationary rails or tracks and except, only for the purpose of titling and registration under this act, a
    mobile home as defined in section 2 of the mobile home commission act, Act No. 96 of the Public Acts o
    1987, being section 125.2302 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
    History: 1949, Act 300, Eff. Sept. 23, 1949;Am. 1976, Act 439, Imd. Eff. Jan. 13, 1977;Am. 1978, Act 568, Eff. Jan. 6, 1979;
    Am. 1992, Act 134, Eff. Oct. 1, 1992.
    Motorcycle is a vehicle...bicycle in not.

Quote Originally Posted by micpl View Post

Well it makes perfect sense, that's why carry in a vehicle is ok once you've been checked out(CCL) vs. not so much with OC. The problem is if they decide to go by the letter instead of the intent, which is all too common a problem with the Judicial branch on both the Federal and State levels. Boils down to prosecutors more worried about conviction rates than justice being served.

Yeah I figured as much too, that's why I pointed out that I was only going by the info in the link.

6. motorcycle open carry

Michigan Motor Vehicle Code "Definition of terms" section uses motor vehicle when defining a motorcycle.

Got into this discussion very same on the MGO (Michigan Gun Owners) site about 4-5 months back...

It all started when a guy that was home on leave (Army) has his MI CCW was OC on a Motorcycle in some small burg on an ice cream run and the local PD stopped, detained, and he had some very specific issues....

Bottom line is OC is legal on a Motorcycle, basis is you ride ON a motorcycle, and IN a car, MI law states very specifically that IN a Vehicle your firearm is considered concealed, MI state police have been issued a edict by the commander that they are not to stop anyone on a motorcycle that is OC and not in violation of any law.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

8. open carry "on" a motorcycle

Excellent info. Is there a place to get a hard copy of the "edict?"

Go to the MSP web site I have been told it is posted there.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century
    "Don't be so open minded that your brains fall out!" Father John Corapi.

10. cpl's and law

I was in an accident in Thomas Township,Mi and the officer told me he should write me up for not telling him I had CPL. I did not have a gun with me. Checking with the state police later they said I did not have to declare if not with gun.

Quote Originally Posted by gerald View Post
    I was in an accident in Thomas Township,Mi and the officer told me he should write me up for not telling him I had CPL. I did not have a gun with me. Checking with the state police later they said I did not have to declare if not with gun.
    Get the Leo's name that informed you of such and take it up with the higher ups. If you are not carrying you do not need to declare if you have a cpl.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast