open carry on a motorcycle in michigan
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: open carry on a motorcycle in michigan

1. open carry on a motorcycle in michigan

Is it legal for me to open carry a registered pistol in the state of michigan

3. on a motorcycle that is

Quote Originally Posted by rkspringfield View Post
    Is it legal for me to open carry a registered pistol in the state of michigan
    This came up the other day at a meeting here in Michigan. We all did agree that the issue is VERY "Grey".

Check the Michigan Stae Police Web site. There are letters on line from AGs in Michigan on this subject. http://www.legislature.mi.gov/docume...s/firearms.pdf

At his point, Best advise I can give you from here is... Seek a qualified attorney. I am not an attorney...
    Semper Fi

5. I would say that it is not legal at this time to OC on/in a motor vehicle of any kind in MI. Traffic laws, DNR issuse, etc. You could do it by current law if you had a MI CPL I would argue. But to my best understanding OC pertains to a man standing/walking/sitting in public and mostly not attached to any vehicle without a CPL. Then boats will be asked about and everything else. DNR etc. To complicated for just plain OC. If you duck down in your "blind" then its not OC. Or is it? If the wind blows your rain coat over your weapon, is it OC? Im sitting down in my boat and no one can see my OC, is it OC? The driver to my left and the cop also cant see my right side OC, I dont have a CPL so I cant "declare" or can I when pulled over for a traffic stop. Hell I could go on and on here. But it seems that MI OC is "regulated" to a man in full view in public without a vehicle. I dought the founders of the Republic ever considered this question. OOPs! The horse. I guess a man might carry OC that way without a traffic stop.-+

6. WOW, I see what you mean I guess if you want meet a leo that would be a good way to do it, anybody else have a comment

The way I read it....a CPL is required for vehicle carry...OC or CC...and I'm willing to bet that MI vehicle code classifies a motorcycle as a vehicle. So as long as you have your CPL you are legal.

28.425c License; form; authorized conduct.

Sec. 5c.

(1) A license to carry a concealed pistol shall be in a form, with the same dimensions as a Michigan operator license, prescribed by the department of state police. The license shall contain all of the following:

(a) The licensee's full name and date of birth.

(b) A photograph and a physical description of the licensee.

(c) A statement of the effective dates of the license.

(d) An indication of exceptions authorized by this act applicable to the licensee.

(e) An indication whether the license is a duplicate.

(2) Subject to section 5o and except as otherwise provided by law, a license to carry a concealed pistol issued by the county concealed weapon licensing board authorizes the licensee to do all of the following:

(a) Carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person anywhere in this state.

(b) Carry a pistol in a vehicle, whether concealed or not concealed, anywhere in this state.

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    The way I read it....a CPL is required for vehicle carry...OC or CC...and I'm willing to bet that MI vehicle code classifies a motorcycle as a vehicle. So as long as you have your CPL you are legal.
    That is exactly what makes it "Grey" or "Gray"... Is a bicycle a Vehicle?
    Semper Fi

9. We Have A Bit Of A Problem

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Michigan Motorcycle Law

Quote Originally Posted by micpl View Post
    Sounds like that cinched it.

Going by the INTENTION of that law preventing OC in a vehicle, which is obviously to prevent a traffic stop by a LEO who won't know your armed, you can OC on a bike. It's as much in the open as if your were walking and I'd wager that if taken to court, the charges would be dropped, especially considering the definition that a motorcycle IS NOT a motor vehicle. According to that link anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by micpl View Post
    Wow, Great site... Thanks!
    Semper Fi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast