"Law Abiding Citizen"??? MI Open Carry Law - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Law Abiding Citizen"??? MI Open Carry Law

Quote Originally Posted by hopnpop View Post
    FIRST AND FOREMOST, DON'T TAKE YOSEMITE SAM'S WORD FOR IT... it's inaccurate. I can't speak for many of the states he mentioned but I can positively speak for Michigan. Michigan isn't so gray. His statement of "you will get charged" is completely bogus. Myself and countless others have been regularly OCing in Michigan without incident. There are plenty of ways to get arrested and/or charged while OCing but OCing in itself, when "done properly", won't bring you any trouble. OC in Michigan in the past year has grown by leaps and bounds and has cleared many hurdles. It wasn't long ago that OC would undoubtedly bring you trouble but not today. When OCing it's still better to be knowledgable of relevent laws and know how to cover your arse but the whole OC issue has gotten so much attention and coverage in the past year that it's become increasingly rare to have a LEO encounter for merely OCing. Where there used to be much "gray" in Michigan firearm legislature, the open carry movement has essentially demanded clarity and has recieved it. There's still some gray in regards to CPL holders carrying openly in PFZs, but otherwise, it's all become pretty cut-and-dried.
    I agree with hopnpop, DON'T TAKE YOSIMITE SAM'S WORD
    I open carry every where allowed, even some PFZ! I have open carried in a hospital in michigan, with no problems. Yes, I do have a CPL. We also have had people OC into schools.

handgonnetoter Guest
    What I would like to know is about what time frame, in history, did OC become such a big thing? In the old west it seems like anybody who was somebody carried a six-gun on the hip, so what gives? It must have started about the time that people started to create suburbia. I live in suburbia because my wife likes it that way. I would like to live in Montana!

Quote Originally Posted by handgonnetoter View Post
    What I would like to know is about what time frame, in history, did OC become such a big thing? In the old west it seems like anybody who was somebody carried a six-gun on the hip, so what gives? It must have started about the time that people started to create suburbia. I live in suburbia because my wife likes it that way. I would like to live in Montana!
    I'm sure there are a few theories on that. Suburbs probably play a part. Local ordinances probably had a lot to do with it too. I imagine people sought a place to live where not everyone carried a 6-shooter, and jurisdictions and ordinances were put into effect to pacify those people. That prospect of "safe" towns where guns were disallowed probably gained momentum and people started leaving their guns at home more often, and it went downhill from there. That's my initial theory I guess. Sounds logical. The carry of pistols probably just dwindled and grew out of favor. Thank goodness for preemption, right? In the past couple/few years there have been countless unenforcable ordinances prohibiting firearms that have been taken off the books in Michigan alone! Many of these towns and cities thought their firearm prohibitions were enforcable! With preemption from the US and state constitutions, we've been able to get these ordinances off the books. Remember, squeaky wheels get the grease.
    Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics...

Law Abiding Citizen is usually defined as one person who has not had any felony charges, and can legally obtain a CPL
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12