Open carry in bank - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Open carry in bank

Quote Originally Posted by missoak View Post
    I have my CPL now, still confused. I just want to carry in the bank, oc or cc. It's just a bank, not a FED. These laws are so vague, it's like the cops want you to mess up !
    Just do it. As stated above, the law makes exception for those who have a CPL.

Just my opinion....7 of the 8 locations prohibited by shouldn't be...since they are all PRIVATE entities....

3. Quote Originally Posted by Austin Lee Tyler View Post
    CC carry in a bank is illegal. OC in a bank is legal with a CPL.
    There is NO statute in Michigan that makes it illegal for a CPL holder to conceal carry in a bank! If a person has a CPL, it IS legal for them to carry in a bank, openly or concealed!

The applicable statute is MCL 750.234d:

Michigan Legislature - Section 750.234d

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor; penalty.

Sec. 234d.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:

(a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.

(2) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

Cheeseandcrackers. The carry laws are seriously confusing.

I have a Utah permit, and took my class in Washington. The instructor told us that basically the only places you cannot carry are those owned by the government--post office, courthouse, etc.; as well as public schools.

He said anything else is fair game, and that if "No Weapons" is posted you should respect that, as in most cases these places are privately owned or leased, and if you are confronted, you can be cited for trespassing.

For what it's worth, my bank has a sign on the front door that says "No Display of Weapons," which leaves you open to carry concealed, and keeps the tellers from getting jumpy if they see a gun.

5. Quote Originally Posted by missoak View Post
    It is illegal to carry concealed in a bank at any time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Lee Tyler View Post
    CC carry in a bank is illegal. OC in a bank is legal with a CPL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Austin Lee Tyler View Post
    In Michigan CC in a bank is illegal even if the sign says no display of weapons. OC is legal if you have a CPL and there is no signs that say no weapons also if its not a federal bank.
    Really? Post the statute. Bet you can't. I challenge everyone who says concealed carry is illegal in a bank in Michigan with a CPL to post the statute.
    Anyone who says, "I support the 2nd amendment, BUT"... doesn't. Element of Surprise: a mythical element that many believe has the same affect upon criminals that Kryptonite has upon Superman.

6. Michigan law states CC in a bank is illegal, OC carry in a bank is legal as long as you have a valid residential CPL of any state, no signs saying no weapons and its not a federal bank. Remember there is two separate excerpts of laws one that pertains to CC and OC. MCL 28.425o is for CC and MCL 750.234d is for OC. Here is some helpful links:

Michigan Legislature - Section 28.425o
    Michigan Legislature - Section 750.234d
    http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...2_336854_7.pdf

7. CC in a bank is illegal in Michigan
    Michigan Legislature - Section 28.425o

CC in bank in Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by missoak View Post
    I have my CPL now, still confused. I just want to carry in the bank, oc or cc. It's just a bank, not a FED. These laws are so vague, it's like the cops want you to mess up !
    Missoak: I live in Michigan and I have a CPL, but I am not a lawyer so take all that into account when reading my post....

I am in agreement with NavyLT: I have not been able to find any STATUTE indicating that concealed carry in a bank is illegal.

It is my understanding that you should apply the following when deciding if you can concealed carry your weapon into an establishment/business/building:

1) MSP Pistol Free Area list (see MSP - Pistol Free Areas) which rules out the places #1-9 as well as any building used for official court purposes.

2) Federal Law restricts the presence of firearms--concealed or openly carried--in federal facilities as per MSP - Michigan's Concealed Pistol Law - FAQs under the section entitled INFORMATION FOR CPL HOLDERS (excerpt below)

2. Are there any places where I may not carry a concealed pistol?

MCL 28.425o Anyone licensed to carry a concealed pistol from Michigan or another state shall not carry a concealed pistol in any of the pistol free zones. For a complete list, please see: Pistol Free Areas . Under Federal law, firearms are also restricted in federal facilities. A federal facility means "a building or part thereof owned or leased by the federal government, where federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties." This includes facilities such as post offices and federal courts.

This would rule out post offices, federal courts, and the 12 Federal Reserve Banks as listed here: Federal Reserve Bank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Note: It would be very unusual for any of us to do our "banking" at any of these federal reserve bank facilities....

3) comply with any "no guns allowed" signage on private property

I believe that the confusion arises from the moniker "Federal Reserve Bank." Regular banks like Chase, TCF, Fifth Third, etc are NOT federal facilities. The people who work there are NOT government employees. Therefore, regular banks would fall under the category of PRIVATE PROPERTY and would have to either post a sign indicating "no guns allowed" or TELL YOU that they do not want you to carry on their premises.

I bank with about 5 different banks (for geographic convenience). I have never had a problem with any of them, but I have also never indicated to anyone in any bank that I am carrying a weapon. Since my weapon is CONCEALED, I see no reason to bring it to anyone's attention.

I think if you follow the guidelines set forth by the MSP, the Federal Law notation, and be watchful of "no guns allowed" signage at all entryways, you will be just fine.

I hope that this helps,

I have heard that some banks have metal detectors at the door, and they auto-lock.
    But thanks for all the feedback. Guess if I have to go inside the bank for $$$, I'll just take my chances.

Read it twice. Didn't see banks mentioned anywhere. Did I just miss it?

11. I do have a permit to carry,and I probably can OC in the bank without any legal problems,I would be afraid an itchy fingered security guard mistaking me for a threat to there security.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast