Grooming and Manner of Dress for O.C. - Page 2
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Grooming and Manner of Dress for O.C.

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    To the OP, I have to concur about "stereotyping". You would probably look askance at me, since I resemble your "basic biker" most of the time. However, should you or your loved ones find yourselves in serious difficulty, when I was around, I might end up being the best friend you ever had. So, keep your situational awareness up, and listen to those internal "alarm bells" when they go off, but understand that all is not always what it seems.
    I agree with the alarm theory. The little hairs on the back of your neck have a vested interest in your well being so heed their warnings, but it should be the situation as JJ eluded to, not the way a guy looks in general.

I decided (with some prodding from an old friend) to attend my 20 year high school reunion 4 years back and most of the comments were "Wow you cleaned up" and "Never would have expected you to make 20 years."

It was all in the look I had going at the time. People will amaze you if you allow yourself to experience human interaction. A fine line exists between being paranoid and being cautious.

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

I profile. I have since I came back from overseas in 1968. I will continue to profile.....by that, I mean anyone who doesn't meet MY definition of harmless, will be watched closer than other folks. I'm not going to call the law on them, or harass them in any way. I will not cause a scene, or draw any attention to the fact that I'm being a bit more observant of a particular individual. But, as I said, unless a person meets MY definition of harmless, I will pay closer attention to them.

Point is, I'll profile whether a person is carrying in any fashion, or if they appear to be unarmed altogether.

I've been carrying for 42 years ...... problem free ....... and I intend for things to remain that way.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

4. I wear whatever I happen to feel like wearing that day, rarely shave, my hair always needs cut (I swear within a week of a haircut I need another... so I just don't bother often) and I walk with a limp after an hour or so on my feet (Hooray old injuries.)

What I have on doesn't change who I am.

I fail this 'test' too. 6'3" 460lbs. general biker attire. Association colors? check. Tattoos? check. Piercings? check.

I'm generally intimidating period. I'm huge. This is why I just conceal carry. Less hassle from people that are uncomfortable as it is around me.

Of course I am riddled with weight related health problems and ain't much threat to anyone that isn't a threat to me.

Profiling has and will save lives. Doesn't mean it is nice to the peole that get caught by it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockster20 View Post
    What you are describing is what the left and the politically correct call "profiling". I am not PC so I "profile" all the time. And most people do. LEO's are told not to profile but do it anyway. Profiling has actually saved lives on many occasions.
    I quote D.L. Hughgley (sp?) - "Sometimes it ain't (racial) profiling...sometimes it's damn fine police work!"

I'm one of those who thinks that political correctness is one of the worst things to ever happen to America. It's BS. The Constitution protects free speech, not peoples' feelings. While I agree that profiling can be advantageous, I at the same time, recognize that profiling would be a real pain in the ass to many who are legitimate citizens. Right now I'm thinking of a girl I met at an open carry picnic last year. Her hair was both blonde and brown depending on what part of her head you were looking at, had a stud in her nostril, one tattoo I could see (sleeveless top), and semi-punkish clothing. I'll tell you it blew my mind when we got to talking. She was genuinely brilliant. She was exceedingly smart, very well-spoken, articulate.... and only months from getting her law degree. No one, upon looking at her, would assume she was much more than a fry cook. Pros and cons...
    Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics...

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder69 View Post
    I know what you guys are saying...But I cant agree with this one. I like to O.C. sometimes and I also like to throw on a old pair of jeans and tee shirt, and if it's hot enough out side I just might have on the old skull cap (yes i'm balding) and my leather vest.
    To some folks I might just look like the thug you are talking about, And I don't want to be harassed just because I'm dressed for comfort. Cuzz I'm still the same person when I'm slicked up and carrying concealed, Witch I am 80% of the time..So just not a good idea IMO.
    Well, first of all, I like the post about getting dressed up to NOT look like a gangbanger when carrying open.

And I don't look at it as being harassed by the cops if I'm stopped and they ask questions. I look at it like they are trying to "protect and serve" the public at large. Al you have to do is show them a permit, if required in the state to open carry. If a permit is not required, you still have no worry if you aren't wanted. If you are "wanted", I'm glad they stopped you! LOL!

You dont get a chance to "disagree" with the fact that I think a certain way. You only
    get a chance to not like it or not think it is fair.

I am saying it is a fact that the probability of getting checked or "harrassed" by LEO
    in the case of open carry is in direct proportion to the professionalism that you
    portray by your dress and grooming and to a minor extent I guess your behavior
    but I cannot imagine a guy in a suit and tie etc with a gangbanger strut.

Like it or not for most of the highly populated areas, you better clean yourself
    up before you go out open carry or else you are jeopardizing all of our rights
    to do so because of the greater liklihood of backlash and social unrest that
    will be caused. In theory this is a democracy and regardless of the constitution
    if enough people feel strongly enough against something, they can vote in
    politicians that will find a say to prevent something.

All I am saying is to the open carriers in populated areas
    "you have a higher obligation to spruce yourself up before going out."

Consider the worst case scenario regardless of OC carry laws on the books.

Imagine a slum neighborhood that has had high rates of gang activity
    and shootings etc etc. Do you think the local populace/police are going
    to stand for roaming groups ( gangs of punks) roaming the streets
    carrying openly?
    It very well could be that many of the punks have no record
    that would prevent them from getting a permit if they live in an
    area where permits are needed.

It may not be right or legal but we know the police can be creative
    enough to cause you a great deal of inconvenience whenever they
    want. The only time I have ever been arrested was with a charge
    of "suspicion of loitering." Turns out there was no such law and
    after 15 hours in jail they admitted mistake and let me go.
    That was all because I was smart-mouthing a cop who was
    harrassing someone else. They said move along and mind
    your own business and not doing so got me 15 hours in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by preventec47 View Post
    You dont get a chance to "disagree" with the fact that I think a certain way. You only
    get a chance to not like it or not think it is fair.
    Obviously I wouldn't disagree with the fact that you think a certain way. But as for the scenario you present, not only do I not like it and think it's unfair, I believe it to be downright unconstitutional. Again, the focus being that the combination of two completely legal practices cannot be construed as reasonable suspicion of criminal activity. As such, any detainment or seizure would not be justified.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Bottom line is this is supposed to be a free country: you go where you want, dress the way you want, speak the way you want, carry your personal weapon the way you want, all constitutionally protected rights. If an LEO, in passing, wants to say "Hi, how ya doin?", as might any other friendly civilian, no problem. Even if LEO is using the exchange to assess who I might be, etc, I still have no problem provided I'm free to respond in kind or not at all, and continue on my merry way.

If however, he/she demands an extensive conversation, to see my papers, or search the bike, car, whatever, solely because of the way I'm dressed or how I carry my firearm, now we have a situation, called "probable cause". If I'm being detained, however briefly, then I am being deprived of my immediate freedom. We cannot accept this; IMO, this IS the "police state" we all rail against.

I could be persuaded that the probability of being stopped/harassed by LEO increases as you look "less professional". But I only care from the viewpoint that this harasssment is un-Constitutional; I don't care to run home and change into attire more "acceptable" to the state's police.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

Quote Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
    Bottom line is this is supposed to be a free country: you go where you want, dress the way you want, speak the way you want, carry your personal weapon the way you want, all constitutionally protected rights. If an LEO, in passing, wants to say "Hi, how ya doin?", as might any other friendly civilian, no problem. Even if LEO is using the exchange to assess who I might be, etc, I still have no problem provided I'm free to respond in kind or not at all, and continue on my merry way.

If however, he/she demands an extensive conversation, to see my papers, or search the bike, car, whatever, solely because of the way I'm dressed or how I carry my firearm, now we have a situation, called "probable cause". If I'm being detained, however briefly, then I am being deprived of my immediate freedom. We cannot accept this; IMO, this IS the "police state" we all rail against.

I could be persuaded that the probability of being stopped/harassed by LEO increases as you look "less professional". But I only care from the viewpoint that it this harasssment is un-Constitutional; I don't care to run home and change into attire more "acceptable" to the state's police.
    Yeah, that too.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast