Michigan Residence, Questions with OC

Thread: Michigan Residence, Questions with OC

Michigan Residence, Questions with OC

Since Ive been carrying concealed, Ive been wanting to OC. Only problem is, Im just a little afraid to get stopped by the police. I live within the Grand Blanc, Flint and Fenton areas. Im not sure how strict police are around here with Open carrying. Ive done it a few times within the Apartment complex, just want to get some experience in the "real world"
    What are most of your experiences like? Do the Police hassle you very much? If they do, how should I go about their questions, or their procedures? What should I expect?
    Thanks for the help guys. Any advice or stories would be helpful.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    Since Ive been carrying concealed, Ive been wanting to OC. Only problem is, Im just a little afraid to get stopped by the police. I live within the Grand Blanc, Flint and Fenton areas. Im not sure how strict police are around here with Open carrying. Ive done it a few times within the Apartment complex, just want to get some experience in the "real world"
    What are most of your experiences like? Do the Police hassle you very much? If they do, how should I go about their questions, or their procedures? What should I expect?
    Thanks for the help guys. Any advice or stories would be helpful.
    2 relevant postings from Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners
    Source: MCRGO - Frequently Asked Questions about Michigan Gun Laws

Q: You were quoted as saying 'open-carry' was still legal in Michigan. I am in possession of a CPL, now but I cannot find any reference to open-carry in my copy of the Michigan Firearms Laws. Please clarify. What is open-carry? When does it apply as compared to my CPL?

A: In the 19th century, Michigan outlawed the carry of concealed weapons. The rational was that a person could use a concealed pistol in a fight and surprise his or her opponent. That is, a person had a right to know if the other person was armed before getting in a dispute. Michigan has forbidden the carrying of a pistol without a license in a motor vehicle, whether concealed or not, for much the same reason. Poachers who would hunt from cars may very well be the reason that we can only carry our long guns cased or in the truck of an automobile (MCL 324.43513). There are other laws that forbid the carrying of pistols with an unlawful intent (MCL 750.226), and the brandishing of a firearm (MCL 750.234e). Since there are no laws that forbid it, the open carrying of a pistol or other firearm, without unlawful intent and without brandishing, outside of a vehicle is legal.

Q: When I go to somewhere that is a "No carry zone" I store my pistol locked in a "Center of Mass Safe" attached under my car seat in my locked vehicle. Is it legal to store it loaded that way or do I need to unload it? My concern is that the more "stuff" you have to do when storing the gun...the more chance that someone passing by will see/wonder what you are doing.

A: The law does not specifically require that your gun be unloaded in these situations. As long as your gun is reasonably safe and secure, it is highly unlikely that you'll be faced with any legal issues regarding storage. I am encouraged by the fact that your question reveals an awareness of the issues that can arise when a member of the public sees your gun and calls it in to law enforcement. I think that all of us with CPL licenses should take steps to try to prevent being the subject of the "man/woman with a gun" call. At best, such calls waste everyone's time. At worst, they can end in tragedy. I applaud your awareness of the potential issues and the fact that you have installed a safe in your vehicle.

Just my two cents...

1. I think open carry is best for RURAL AREAS. Some parts of Fenton may be considered rural, but not so much GB and Flint....
    2. I think open carry causes alarm for MOST PEOPLE, and they will either point/stare/whisper, panic, or call the police (or all of the aforementioned). This is great for those who like a lot of attention.
    3. I think that if you obtained your CCW for self-defense purposes, you are best served by concealing the weapon, thereby having the element of surprise as part of your defensive arsenal.

If you really like the attention, open carry--it seems to be perfectly legal, but you are going to have to explain that to a lot of people a lot of times.

If you want to just prove that you have 2nd Amendment rights, open carry and fight that fight...a lot.

If you just want to mind your own business, not be hassled or create a hassle, BUT be prepared to defend yourself, carry concealed.

4. Actually will be disappointed.
    MOST people by a VAST majority won't even notice you have a gun.
    Most of those that do, won't care or comment.
    Most police know open carry is legal and won't bother you.
    People are open carrying in Flint, Detroit & Lansing everyday without problems.
    Go to the MI section of open carry.com and read some of the experiences other MI people have had while open carrying.
    I do it, no problem.
    The people that tell you about all the problems & man with a gun calls to police, Don't and haven't done it. How can they know if they never tried it?

Nice... Two good answers... Two very good web sites, By the Way, MCRGO is pretty cheap and does a good job for us here in MI... MCRGO - Michigan Coalition for Responsible Gun Owners
    Then try this link: Michigan Open Carry, Inc. - Index
    Semper Fi