Open Carry while being a non-resident of different states.

Thread: Open Carry while being a non-resident of different states.

1. Open Carry while being a non-resident of different states.

Ok all you people who OC because you CAN! I have a question.

I live in the wonderful anti-2nd amendment state of Illinois . I'll be traveling back home to Idaho where it's still a free country in a few weeks.

In the mean time, I'll be traveling through Nebraska, South Dakota, Wyoming, Montana and finally Idaho and possibly Oregon.

I know that most of those states allow OC to people who are residence to that particular state.. Does OC also apply to non-residents who cannot be issued a CCW in their own state (Illinois) because Illinois thinks that guns commit murders in Chicago and are banned.

I've looked and looked, but I cannot seem to find what I'm looking for. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Most states don't define different rights to residents and non-residents. Read here:
    OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!
    Realize that unless there's someting that says "except for Illinois residents" you're probably going to be okay.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Suggest your check the laws of each of the states you'll be traveling in. There are states that require a license to carry concealed OR openly.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Suggest your check the laws of each of the states you'll be traveling in. There are states that require a license to carry concealed OR openly.
    My permit for Indiana says Licence to carry a Handgun. It does not specify how. I do believe in Indiana you cannot carry, open or concealed, unless you are permitted to do so. Indiana does allow OC.

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by handgonnetoter View Post
    My permit for Indiana says Licence to carry a Handgun. It does not specify how. I do believe in Indiana you cannot carry, open or concealed, unless you are permitted to do so. Indiana does allow OC.
    From older discussions on this and other forums, I gather that Indiana only allows OC if you have a permit, and if you are from out of state your permit must not say "Concealed" in the name of the permit or livense.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfhunter View Post
    From older discussions on this and other forums, I gather that Indiana only allows OC if you have a permit, and if you are from out of state your permit must not say "Concealed" in the name of the permit or livense.
    You are correct. I have been in front of the computer too much today and am mixing up my words.