Rhode Island Open Carry

Thread: Rhode Island Open Carry

1. Rhode Island Open Carry

Anyone have any information? Is it legal?
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

3. I do believe it's legal with a carry permit from the AG, but not any police offices. I've also read somewhere that open carry up in the Northeast is generally a bad idea except in Vermont, New Hampshire, parts of Pennsylvania, and parts of Maine. A lot of local ordinances change quickly as you go town to town, and a lot of police officers are uneducated or have negative views about open carry.

But don't take my word for it, do some research and ask around.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
    I do believe it's legal with a carry permit from the AG, but not any police offices. I've also read somewhere that open carry up in the Northeast is generally a bad idea except in Vermont, New Hampshire, parts of Pennsylvania, and parts of Maine. A lot of local ordinances change quickly as you go town to town, and a lot of police officers are uneducated or have negative views about open carry.

But don't take my word for it, do some research and ask around.
    That is correct, according to OpenCarry.org - State Information For Rhode Island. The problem is that the AG is may-issue. The problem there is that with discretion in issuing permits, there usually comes the ability to revoke permits at will. So, if the AG doesn't like OCers, he could revoke your permit if you do so.
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. - Thomas Jefferson