Open Carried For The First Time Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open Carried For The First Time Today

Open Carried For The First Time Today

Open carried for the first time today. It was a bit awkward, but soon forgot all about it, aside from the fact I was using my concealed carry holster. My shirt was apparently too short to cover it concealed, so I just moved it outside the waste band. I went into the Dollar Tree down the road from my apartment, bought a few things, and to be honest, I only had a few strange stares, I thought for sure the police would be walking in any minute, and I even mentioned something to my Fiance, "Im surprised noones freaking out" she looked at my wasted and said "the lady back there gave you a weird look." I just ignored people and went about my business, purchased the things I went in there for and went to Speedway.
    From there, I went in and filled up my car, checked my speedy rewards, and even asked one of the cashiers how to register my card, she kept her distance for a second, and helped me at the machine. At a gas station I for sure thought people would freak out, I even expected the police to show up there, I mean, it was in Flint.

Anyhow, no LEO encounters, and no people running for their lives, no issues. I think Ill try it again tomorrow, when I cash my paycheck. Hopefully it will go as smoothly as it did today. If not, I think Ill enjoy my first LEO encounter, and hopefully that will go smoothly as well. If not, Ill file some sort of grievance with the Police Department.
    Any advice??
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

Good! Carry Safe.

RHB
    Semper Fi

If your going to cash your check at a bank, make sure there isn't a NO GUNS ALLOWED sign on the door. Regular banks are backed by the F.D.I.C. so you are playing by their rules when you enter. I have gone into banks concealed, but would never try it open carry. My two cents.

wolfhunter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by THE DUKE OF ESSEX View Post
    If your going to cash your check at a bank, make sure there isn't a NO GUNS ALLOWED sign on the door. Regular banks are backed by the F.D.I.C. so you are playing by their rules when you enter. I have gone into banks concealed, but would never try it open carry. My two cents.
    By what stretch of the imagination does the bank's use of an INSURANCE company have to do with Open Carry? The only point about banks and carrying will be found in state law. If the state law doesn't proscribe carry in banks, then you should look for statutes regarding signs. If your state defines the use of a specific sign or verbage (ie. TX's 30.06 signs), then only places with that signage is proscribed.

Quote Originally Posted by Itstjs View Post
    Open carried for the first time today. It was a bit awkward, but soon forgot all about it, aside from the fact I was using my concealed carry holster. My shirt was apparently too short to cover it concealed, so I just moved it outside the waste band. I went into the Dollar Tree down the road from my apartment, bought a few things, and to be honest, I only had a few strange stares, I thought for sure the police would be walking in any minute, and I even mentioned something to my Fiance, "Im surprised noones freaking out" she looked at my wasted and said "the lady back there gave you a weird look." I just ignored people and went about my business, purchased the things I went in there for and went to Speedway.
    From there, I went in and filled up my car, checked my speedy rewards, and even asked one of the cashiers how to register my card, she kept her distance for a second, and helped me at the machine. At a gas station I for sure thought people would freak out, I even expected the police to show up there, I mean, it was in Flint.

Anyhow, no LEO encounters, and no people running for their lives, no issues. I think Ill try it again tomorrow, when I cash my paycheck. Hopefully it will go as smoothly as it did today. If not, I think Ill enjoy my first LEO encounter, and hopefully that will go smoothly as well. If not, Ill file some sort of grievance with the Police Department.
    Any advice??
    Welcome to your right to carry and the only advice I can give you is be kind, courteous and know your laws. Seriously, if you have not already, steady them over and over again and know them like the back of your hand. If and when you do have a LEO encounter, don't be afraid to stand your legal ground verbally, but comply with their orders. You can tear them apart later in court, if they infringe on your right.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

1) Any law abiding citizen of the State of Michigan who owns a safety inspected handgun may openly carry (in a holster) said firearm in all places not explicitly exempt by law with or without a CPL. Private property rules over-ride state law in regards to firearm possession.

MSP Legal Update Newsletter: April 2007: Did You Know: …It is not illegal under Michigan law to openly carry a pistol…...

PLACES off limits to firearms without a CPL: Sec. 234d (1) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following: a) A Bank. b) A church. c) A court. d) A theatre. e) A sports arena. f) A day care center. g) A hospital. h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act (BAR). (2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
    a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
    b) A peace officer.
    c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
    d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity. Just going by this wolfhunter, didn't mean to make you have a heart attack!

wolfhunter Guest
    Duke, I agree with your last post here, but your earlier post made it sound like you were saying that a bank covered by FDIC would be a federal building and covered by federal laws.

From your last post, I see banks are proscribed without a CPL, AND that No Gun signs have the weight of law in Michigan.

I was thinking of Federal Reserve Bank and put F.D.I.C. Sorry for the confusion.

wolfhunter Guest
    It's all good.

Bravo on bustin your open carry cherry! I had to chuckle a little that you were expecting more of a reaction. You should be pleasantly surprised that people do NOT tend to "freak out" or run for cover. Some will inevitibly call the police but if the 911 operators handle the calls properly, even those calls shouldn't result in LEO interactions. You will continue to get looks sometimes but for the most part, it goes unnoticed. When it IS noticed, there's rarely much of a reaction. Over the past year I've really been astounded at the lack of interest in my being a MWAG. The OCing will get more and more comfortable the more you do it, if you plan on continuing to do so. It's liberating, isn't it?
    Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast