Open carried at Wal-Mart - Page 2
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carried at Wal-Mart

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    A big + 1 on this, and it all goes back to what I and several others have said, keep it concealed, keep quiet about it, go about your business, and everthing will be cool, and for the record that greeter overstepped his authority, weather he new you or not, and I'm not disagreeing with your right to open carry, but at times its just not worth the possable hassel,
    I am trying to understand why the OP felt the need to OC in wally world.
    I am asking charliej47 explain why. Other then it is your right.

I open carried while on duty, in uniform.
    The message the weapon, the uniform, badge, duty belt, magazine holders, and other accessories delivers is;
    "Interfere with my mission, I may use deadly force."
    Off duty, while in uniform, I put a long windbreaker that covers the duty belt. I am wearing a "shoot me" uniform.

What is the purpose of showing people shoping for their families your gun?

I agree with rocket. Keep your firearm concealed.

Exclamation Some times Open carry is a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post

The message the weapon, the uniform, badge, duty belt, magazine holders, and other accessories delivers is;
    Off duty, while in uniform, I put a long windbreaker that covers the duty belt. I am wearing a "shoot me" uniform.

We visited Family in AZ and i open carried the whole time. It was cooler. It was more comfortable. It was better for the weapon corrosion wise. Open carry is not always a bad thing.
    FESTUS
    IN OMNIA PARATUS

Quote Originally Posted by festus View Post
    We visited Family in AZ and i open carried the whole time. It was cooler. It was more comfortable. It was better for the weapon corrosion wise. Open carry is not always a bad thing.
    Pretty concise explanation.
    I lived in a small town in Arizona for over 20 years. Open carry is extremely common and entirely accepted. While it's rarer in the Phoenix and Tucson areas, people still know it's legal.

It should be a personal choice, not another topic for people who claim they support gun rights to attack others.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

Quote Originally Posted by NDS View Post
    Pretty concise explanation.
    I lived in a small town in Arizona for over 20 years. Open carry is extremely common and entirely accepted. While it's rarer in the Phoenix and Tucson areas, people still know it's legal.

It should be a personal choice, not another topic for people who claim they support gun rights to attack others.
    What attack? I just don't get it.
    I don't understand the concept of open carry.
    Let me ax u a question nds,
    While in the small AZ town. Did you wear boots, cowboy hat and open carry? If so, I totally understand.

If you want, I can tell you my encounter with open carry in Phoenix, summer of 1983.

What attack? I just don't get it.
    Not necessarily directed at you, or just at you. Many times people act as though their choice is the only correct one.
    I don't understand the concept of open carry.
    That's just it, you don't have it. If you don't want to OC, just don't. Open carry is more comfortable and the firearm is more accessible. Some people choose to add decoration -- look at the BBQ guns the Texas Rangers favor. Personal choice.
    Let me ax u a question nds,
    You want to 'ask me' a question? OK.
    While in the small AZ town. Did you wear boots, cowboy hat and open carry? If so, I totally understand.
    Sometimes. We owned horses and were members of the local saddle club too. We also did team roping and square danced. Sometimes I rode horseback long distances dressed similar to the 'Marlboro Man' ...

Again, what we did was legal and part of my families lifestyle at the time. In High School my daughtered competed on the rodeo team.

I did not, however, open carry a single-action revolver, I usually carried a Colt Commander.
    If you want, I can tell you my encounter with open carry in Phoenix, summer of 1983.
    I feel you should be free to post any personal experience you wish.
    People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome.--River Tam

I open carry in Wal-Mart (and pretty much everywhere else) because I choose to, it is a right I have, I try to get people to understand that having a gun does not automatically make me a criminal, and to stop people from immediately fearing the gun instead of the person holding it.

Also, if we all stopped carrying guns openly, it would make it much easier for legislators to make the entire practice of carrying a gun, OC or CC, illegal. It's a show of force, saying "I will stand up for my rights."

I carry openly on most occasions. The message the firearm and my attitude while carrying is: "Interfere with my right to life and I may use deadly force. Otherwise, I'm just like you - no need to be afraid."

Your choice to only CC is perfectly fine. I just don't understand why people feel the need to chastise others for the way they choose to legally carry their firearms.

8. IMHO Open carry is for LEO's and Cowboys (not the western type). Concealed carry is for self protection and not show and tell.

Open-concealed-open-concealed-open............For Gods sakes, just carry!!!

"The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

10. I open carry for the following reasons:

1. I would rather deter a crime than defend against a crime. Odds are that if a criminal is sizing me up as a target, and they see the gun, they will simply go down the street one block, or wait a couple minutes for me to leave. Why would a criminal choose to attack a target that is visibly armed when there are hundreds of other targets readily available that don't appear to be armed? The criminal has as goals to obtain what they desire with the least amount of hassle/problems, to not get caught, and to not get shot. Attacking a visibly armed citizen is counterproductive to all three goals.

2. Open carry offers faster draw time then having to go through or around the concealing garment to get to the gun.

3. I like to present to the public the image that it is perfectly acceptable and normal for an American to engage in normal activities during normal day to day life and have the means available to them of self protection. The public is never going to get over their negative feelings towards guns if all they ever see are the negative images presented by the media and the Brady Bunch. The sentiments of the "pro-gun" crowd that guns are better concealed only fosters the idea that guns are bad and should be hidden away - in my humble opinion.

4. I took an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC. By openly carrying my firearm I fulfill that oath in a small way every day by taking an action that supports the Second Amendment - the part of the Constitution that is under attack more than any other part.

It depends on what I am wearing and what I am doing.

I OC at home all the time except for cold weather. If I need to run to the store for something I don't change my clothes to be CC.

Carrying a weapon is like wearing clothes. I'm up, I carry. If it is hot then I usually OC because I want to tuck in my T-shirt.

In the last two years I have had MAYBE 3 people ask me about my weapon and I have had a couple of conversations with LEOs.

Twice in the last 2 years because I was OCing I have had more than one aborted confrontation with a possible criminal.
    The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators! I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast