Open carried at Wal-Mart - Page 3
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carried at Wal-Mart

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I open carry for the following reasons:

1. I would rather deter a crime than defend against a crime. Odds are that if a criminal is sizing me up as a target, and they see the gun, they will simply go down the street one block, or wait a couple minutes for me to leave. Why would a criminal choose to attack a target that is visibly armed when there are hundreds of other targets readily available that don't appear to be armed? The criminal has as goals to obtain what they desire with the least amount of hassle/problems, to not get caught, and to not get shot. Attacking a visibly armed citizen is counterproductive to all three goals.

2. Open carry offers faster draw time then having to go through or around the concealing garment to get to the gun.

3. I like to present to the public the image that it is perfectly acceptable and normal for an American to engage in normal activities during normal day to day life and have the means available to them of self protection. The public is never going to get over their negative feelings towards guns if all they ever see are the negative images presented by the media and the Brady Bunch. The sentiments of the "pro-gun" crowd that guns are better concealed only fosters the idea that guns are bad and should be hidden away - in my humble opinion.

4. I took an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC. By openly carrying my firearm I fulfill that oath in a small way every day by taking an action that supports the Second Amendment - the part of the Constitution that is under attack more than any other part.
    +1

But those that think that their way is the only way will never get it. It's amazing how I have NEVER seen an OCer chastise a CCer for the way they choose to carry(unless provoked), but the reverse happens way too often.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

I still don't understand why the open carry.

[/HTML][quote=charliej47;148060]It depends on what I am wearing and what I am doing.

I OC at home all the time except for cold weather. If I need to run to the store for something I don't change my clothes to be CC.

I don't have to change clothing to CC, unless I am wearing shorts without a belt.

Carrying a weapon is like wearing clothes. I'm up, I carry. If it is hot then I usually OC because I want to tuck in my T-shirt
    Tucked or un-tucked I CC

In the last two years I have had MAYBE 3 people ask me about my weapon and I have had a couple of conversations with LEOs.
    I have had zero people ask me about my firearm. I have had zero conversations with LEO's.

Twice in the last 2 years because I was OCing I have had more than one aborted confrontation with a possible criminal.
    I have had zero confrontations. However, I have seen people that were probably criminals.

BTW, CC, or OC, has nothing to do with the oath I took when I joined the United States Armed Forces. Having a carry permit, does not make one a caped crusader.

In my neighborhood OC is an open invitation to get jacked. You will be robbed, and your firearm taken from you. You might even be shot with your own pistol.

I OC more and more all the time. Get dressed, slip the ol' XD into the slide holster and out the door. No worries about printing, concealing, type of clothes, who sees it, etc. It's just plain easier and more comfortable.
    Prov. 27:3 - "Stone is heavy and sand a burden, but provocation by a fool is heavier than both"

5. Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    +1

But those that think that their way is the only way will never get it.
    Point proven, exactly 4 hours after you posted this.

I have been to Wal-Mart many times while OC'ing and I was stopped just once by the greeter. Her concern was that a BG would see me with the gun and want to see who was a faster draw like in the old west. I held back my laughter and we had a short talk about carrying firearms and how I had been in the store many times. I also made a point to talk with her on my way out. I think I OC and CCW equally about 50% each depending on my mood at the moment. OC'ing has gotten me involved with a few conversations about firearms mostly from people who want to know more about carrying and what the law allows. I guess I am lucky I have not run into "that guy" who wants to make a scene because I carry a gun.

I do not feel like a cowboy when I OC nor do I want to be one. In these troubling times sometimes I just want to make a political statement that says this is my right and you cannot deny me this. I may not be able to do say that much longer.
    The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppose. - Frederick Douglass

7. I'm new to the forums (obviously) and, admittedly, a Johnny-come-lately, but the whole idea of OC intrigues me. I do find it amusing that it took a cop to heat things up on the topic. I guess they're used to telling people what they can and can't do. I gotta find out what the LAWS here in Idaho allow. I'm thinking of organizing an open carry day here locally. Maybe it would be a good idea to get something going nationally? I do have to wonder about liability. Does anyone know about that stuff?

8. Quote Originally Posted by Gnarus View Post
    I'm new to the forums (obviously) and, admittedly, a Johnny-come-lately, but the whole idea of OC intrigues me. I do find it amusing that it took a cop to heat things up on the topic. I guess they're used to telling people what they can and can't do. I gotta find out what the LAWS here in Idaho allow. I'm thinking of organizing an open carry day here locally. Maybe it would be a good idea to get something going nationally? I do have to wonder about liability. Does anyone know about that stuff?
    OpenCarry.org - State Information For Idaho

Idaho has complete state preemption of firearms laws and open carry is completely legal at the state level with or without a permit or license. That means that cities and counties cannot restrict firearms any more than the state has.

Also check out OpenCarry.org - Discussion Forum , especially the Idaho section.

As far as liability, you are liable to try it and like it!

You have to remember, a lot of us open carry every day. I just went to the library, Ace Hardware, Walgren's Drug Store, Safeway, and Dairy Queen while open carrying and nobody looked twice. It's just kind of boring to post that everyday - we only post the interesting stuff.

opencarry.org is for the birds

Attention walmart shoppers

ATTENTION WALMART SHOPPERS,

In Aisle 14, small appliances, there is a man wearing a gun.

I say, If it is your right to open carry, go ahead, knock yourself out. Open Carry all you want.

Personally, packing a .44 special, loaded with Corbons hidden on my belt or in my pocket is a very comforting security blanket. Same goes for the mouse gun.

That is why I always smile when I CC. Nobody knows of what I have. I want it to stay that way.

I know I will always avoid confrontations, and arguments.

I find myself being more polite to people.

Bad drivers no longer aggravate me.

I know that I will not become the victim of a felony crime.

Because I don't open carry;

I will not scare little girls.

I will not cause liberals to pee their pants, and call a politician.

People will not be calling the police, and saying "man with a gun".

If I want people to notice me, I will buy a flashy car,fine clothing, jewelery, and a cheap blond.
    If I can't afford the car, clothing, or jewelery, I still have the cheap Blondie.

If I were to open carry in public with out the benefit of a uniform.
    I would always be uncomfortable, always on edge, looking for someone to accost or assault me, just because I carry a pistol in plain view.

Again, if you want to carry to show people you have rights, go right ahead. If you carry because its Tuesday, go for it.

It may be for you, but not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    ATTENTION WALMART SHOPPERS,

In Aisle 14, small appliances, there is a man wearing a gun.

I say, If it is your right to open carry, go ahead, knock yourself out. Open Carry all you want.

Personally, packing a .44 special, loaded with Corbons hidden on my belt or in my pocket is a very comforting security blanket. Same goes for the mouse gun.

That is why I always smile when I CC. Nobody knows of what I have. I want it to stay that way.

I know I will always avoid confrontations, and arguments.

I find myself being more polite to people.

Bad drivers no longer aggravate me.

I know that I will not become the victim of a felony crime.

Because I don't open carry;

I will not scare little girls.

I will not cause liberals to pee their pants, and call a politician.

People will not be calling the police, and saying "man with a gun".

If I want people to notice me, I will buy a flashy car,fine clothing, jewelery, and a cheap blond.
    If I can't afford the car, clothing, or jewelery, I still have the cheap Blondie.

If I were to open carry in public with out the benefit of a uniform.
    I would always be uncomfortable, always on edge, looking for someone to accost or assault me, just because I carry a pistol in plain view.

Again, if you want to carry to show people you have rights, go right ahead. If you carry because its Tuesday, go for it.

It may be for you, but not for me.
    We know your stance on open carry, but how do you feel about Bropen Carry?

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast