Open carried at Wal-Mart - Page 8
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carried at Wal-Mart

1. In some states you are required to have a Concealed to open carry or otherwise.
    Richard S. Hoskins Jr

In TN your permit says handgun carry permit, which means ether open or concealed, your choice

4. Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I open carry for the following reasons:

1. I would rather deter a crime than defend against a crime. Odds are that if a criminal is sizing me up as a target, and they see the gun, they will simply go down the street one block, or wait a couple minutes for me to leave. Why would a criminal choose to attack a target that is visibly armed when there are hundreds of other targets readily available that don't appear to be armed? The criminal has as goals to obtain what they desire with the least amount of hassle/problems, to not get caught, and to not get shot. Attacking a visibly armed citizen is counterproductive to all three goals.

2. Open carry offers faster draw time then having to go through or around the concealing garment to get to the gun.

3. I like to present to the public the image that it is perfectly acceptable and normal for an American to engage in normal activities during normal day to day life and have the means available to them of self protection. The public is never going to get over their negative feelings towards guns if all they ever see are the negative images presented by the media and the Brady Bunch. The sentiments of the "pro-gun" crowd that guns are better concealed only fosters the idea that guns are bad and should be hidden away - in my humble opinion.

4. I took an oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC. By openly carrying my firearm I fulfill that oath in a small way every day by taking an action that supports the Second Amendment - the part of the Constitution that is under attack more than any other part.
    You get a gold star. exactly correct.

I open carry simply due to the need to get governmental permission to conceal carry. If the 14th Amendment drives the Bill of Rights down to the State level, why is the 2nd Amendment the only exception? As an American, its my God-given right to carry, not a government-given right. CC is a government-given restriction, but since I am also law-abiding, the obvious choice is to go open-carry.
    And I concur that putting a friendly face on gun ownership goes a long way towards undermining the anti-gun media.

Soverign State of Poverty Knob near Tennessee
    On the "Do you have a license" comments, that IS a valid question in Tennessee, and possibly other states. In Tennessee you may carry either OC or CCW, but you must have a state issued permit to do so. One permit covers either OC or CCW.

6. I've only lived in a few states, but was never aware of a need to get a license to OC. I guess I can rule out those states for any future moves. Last time i checked, the Bill of rights applied to states. "Shall not be infringed" seems pretty clear and straightforward to me.

not questioning anybody, but that's pretty sad...

Quote Originally Posted by WB9IIE View Post
    On the "Do you have a license" comments, that IS a valid question in Tennessee, and possibly other states. In Tennessee you may carry either OC or CCW, but you must have a state issued permit to do so. One permit covers either OC or CCW.
    Does a police officer have the power to demand an OCer to present their TN license? That would make as much sense as highway patrolmen stopping every car to confirm that they are being driven by someone with a valid operator's permit. The mere presence of an OC firearm does not, and cannot, be PC or RAS for a police stop. Now, if the OCer does something stupid and a violation of law or ordinance, then they can be stopped, during which the permit can be demanded, but otherwise, no.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

I open carry most of the time for a variety of reasons. Self defense is obvious, but also to inform others that not only is it legal in my state, but just because someone is carrying a gun doesn't mean that person is going to go on a shooting spree or do some other bad thing.

When I carry openly, I consider myself an OC ambassador. I'm more friendly, polite, etc.
    I agree 100%. I OC every time I walk into a department store. As you said, "ambassador", if you will. It provides occasional opportunity to discuss 2nd Amendment awareness and that's priceless.

Also- everyone carrying, whether openly or concealed, is 100% responsible for knowing ALL of their state's carry laws, including what locations are exempted, i.e hospitals, sports arenas, bars, parks, etc....

I have never had a "negative" run-in with anyone in public. On the contrary, I have had several occasions to inform and make aware an individual of our state's laws.

"If tyranny and oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foriegn enemy." -James Madison

Iceman and others:

There is a way to do both. Taurus makes a little 380 that fits in a case that you put on your belt, outside the waistband. I looks like a PDA case. I wear it like that every day. The gun is concealed, but still carried in the open where I can access it in a hurry. the case has openings on the bottom, where you can push open the case by pushing on the bottom of the magazine, and the case opens and out comes the gun in your hand. It is very simple and VERY quick!

Oh yeah, one more thing. For those that think a 380 isn't a real defense gun;

how about standing in front of me while I doubletap you... then you might change your mind...if you can still draw a breath. LOL!~

Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    Iceman and others:

There is a way to do both. Taurus makes a little 380 that fits in a case that you put on your belt, outside the waistband. I looks like a PDA case. I wear it like that every day. The gun is concealed, but still carried in the open where I can access it in a hurry. the case has openings on the bottom, where you can push open the case by pushing on the bottom of the magazine, and the case opens and out comes the gun in your hand. It is very simple and VERY quick!

how about standing in front of me while I doubletap you... then you might change your mind...if you can still draw a breath. LOL!~
    It is concealed then it is not OC, that would never fly in this state. Walmarts policy is to follow state law.

Quote Originally Posted by GOV5 View Post
    Iceman and others:

If I was wearing a sweater and my old Navy peacoat I would probably be okay. Specially if your using hollow points. If we try it and I can get back up I get to return fire with my EDC .45. I WIN!!!
    Colorado Gun Owners - COGO
    A discussion forum for Colorado Gun Owners.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast