Open carried at Wal-Mart - Page 9
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carried at Wal-Mart

Quote Originally Posted by charliej47 View Post
    I had to go pickup some things at the local Wal-Mart on Tuesday the 15th. As I am walking in I see the greeter and we know each other. He asks me if I am carrying and I said yes. He was on my opposite side and did not see it.

He asks me to wait while he checks on the store policy about carrying. I say OK. He goes and gets the floor boss and explains why he is asking. The floor boss comes over and asks me if I had a license. I state yes but you do not need a license to OC.

He said he was unsure of the store policy and I stated that Wal-Mart followed the the state laws.

We got to talking and he asked how did I get my license and where adn I told him everything he needs to get his license.

We parted on friendly terms and I went on in and got what I came for.

I don't know how many times I have been in the store and that is the first time I was stopped. I think it was because of the greeter. He has seen me before and knows I carried.
    I know walmart is CCW friendly, but Im sure I read that they are not ok with open carry on the corporate level.

Quote Originally Posted by theicemanmpls View Post
    what is the purpose of showing people shoping for their families your gun?

I agree with rocket. Keep your firearm concealed.
    +102

Quote Originally Posted by IWLAFART View Post
    IMHO Open carry is for LEO's and Cowboys (not the western type). Concealed carry is for self protection and not show and tell.
    The real problem with OC these days is that there have been so many shootings that the John Q Public isnt going to be ok with OC until a few years goes by with Zero shootings.
    30 years ago OC might have been a possibility without all the uproar.
    After a few school and restaurant mass shootings its no wonder the public gets bent out of shape when they see a gun.

Im all for carrying any way we want. But Im also concerned that if we keep scaring the public that theyre going to get so stupid about it that they will just work even harder to vote in anti gun politicians who will make our lives even harder.

We already have the Brady nuts to fight. Personally I think not pushing the folks who dont vote into the polls to put some anti gun basket case in office because some guy came into McDonalds packing a gun on his hip openly might be a good idea.

Their is a time and a place for everything under the sun.
    Pushing those who dont vote to the polls to vote against us right now isnt the best idea given how much progress we've made the last few years.

Once we get these shootings under control by carrying concealed and stopping a few of these murdering freaks, maybe OC will be more accepted by the voting public just like having a cop nearby.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    +1

But those that think that their way is the only way will never get it. It's amazing how I have NEVER seen an OCer chastise a CCer for the way they choose to carry(unless provoked), but the reverse happens way too often.
    The reason is obvious.
    We're working hard to get pro gun laws passed and doing it as quietly as possible is working.
    Everyone starts carrying guns openly where a gun shy public starts feeling in 'danger' (imagined or not) and what type of politicians do you think they will start voting for ? Pro or anti gun ?

Our politics work generally by popular vote.
    Is it wise to provoke that popular vote against us?
    Open carry scares the hell out of voters. Is that a good idea or a bad idea?
    Ive seen folks who hadnt even thought about our carrying concealed literally flip out when they saw a gun open carry.

So please understand that we really dont care how you carry, its just that we dont want to have that much more of a fight come election day because OC'ers have scared the hell out of voters.

This war is going VERY well for us right now and has been. Why risk messing it up until we have more foothold ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger357SP101 View Post
    The reason is obvious.
    We're working hard to get pro gun laws passed and doing it as quietly as possible is working.
    Everyone starts carrying guns openly where a gun shy public starts feeling in 'danger' (imagined or not) and what type of politicians do you think they will start voting for ? Pro or anti gun ?

Our politics work generally by popular vote.
    Is it wise to provoke that popular vote against us?
    Open carry scares the hell out of voters. Is that a good idea or a bad idea?
    Ive seen folks who hadnt even thought about our carrying concealed literally flip out when they saw a gun open carry.

So please understand that we really dont care how you carry, its just that we dont want to have that much more of a fight come election day because OC'ers have scared the hell out of voters.

This war is going VERY well for us right now and has been. Why risk messing it up until we have more foothold ?
    It may be obvious to you, but you do realize that your entire argument is pure conjecture right?

Most have probably thought I was law enforcement, even police officers have asked me.

Most times, I'm walking with my daughters in tow anyway, so I'm sure that has a calming effect on those around me.

There are many OCers in my state, our state government is full of pro gun legislators. We have a real good chance of going constitutional carry this year. I'm not seeing your 2A rights apocalypse happening here because of OC.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

I know walmart is CCW friendly, but Im sure I read that they are not ok with open carry on the corporate level.
    Not true, their corporate level states they are to follow state law.

Im all for carrying any way we want. But Im also concerned that if we keep scaring the public that theyre going to get so stupid about it that they will just work even harder to vote in anti gun politicians who will make our lives even harder.
    lawful legal Open Carriers are not scaring the public it is the criminals that are doing that. It was shown in the AZ shooting that a lawful carrier assisted in taking down the gunman.

9. Quote Originally Posted by emt232004 View Post
    lawful legal Open Carriers are not scaring the public it is the criminals that are doing that. It was shown in the AZ shooting that a lawful carrier assisted in taking down the gunman.
    Absolutely! And the general public is never going to get over their fear of guns if gun owners themselves treat guns like evil objects that must be kept hidden away. We are only going to help them get over their fear by presenting to them the visible image of an ordinary American doing ordinary things in ordinary life, who just happens to carry a gun for self defense.

I open carry for deterrence, BTW... a concept that a few people cannot grasp.

Quote Originally Posted by Unfettered Might View Post
    It may be obvious to you, but you do realize that your entire argument is pure conjecture right?
    Hmmm.
    So you DONT think that the voting public is freaked out when they see another shooting at walmart or some drug store that they have to shop at?

Claims of conjecture is a bit of a stretch given the fact that we now have many tens of thousands or even millions of Americans fighting against our rights using all these mass shootings as their reason.
    Did I miss something ??
    Most have probably thought I was law enforcement, even police officers have asked me.
    And why did they even ask about your gun to begin with?
    Do these folks walk up to uniformed LEO's and ask them about their guns ?
    They asked because guns are in the news every single day of American life now. What used to simply be a past time has now become a symbol of fear and anxiety because of so many shooting.

Most times, I'm walking with my daughters in tow anyway, so I'm sure that has a calming effect on those around me.
    And when you dont have your kids with you? Do those around you wonder if youve come in to start a killing spree ?
    Dont answer since neither of us can read minds.
    There are many OCers in my state, our state government is full of pro gun legislators. We have a real good chance of going constitutional carry this year. I'm not seeing your 2A rights apocalypse happening here because of OC.
    Oddly enough not a week goes by where I dont cross a story about some 'man with a gun' call to police where the 'man with a gun' was simply an OC'er minding his own business.
    Sorry if your experience and my research cause each of us to conclude differently.

Quote Originally Posted by emt232004 View Post
    Really?
    So youve NEVER heard a single thing about a law abiding OC'er having the 'man with a gun' call to the police about him?
    If not Id say you need to read more.

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast