Open carried at Wal-Mart
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Open carried at Wal-Mart

Talking Open carried at Wal-Mart

I had to go pickup some things at the local Wal-Mart on Tuesday the 15th. As I am walking in I see the greeter and we know each other. He asks me if I am carrying and I said yes. He was on my opposite side and did not see it.

He asks me to wait while he checks on the store policy about carrying. I say OK. He goes and gets the floor boss and explains why he is asking. The floor boss comes over and asks me if I had a license. I state yes but you do not need a license to OC.

He said he was unsure of the store policy and I stated that Wal-Mart followed the the state laws.

We got to talking and he asked how did I get my license and where adn I told him everything he needs to get his license.

We parted on friendly terms and I went on in and got what I came for.

I don't know how many times I have been in the store and that is the first time I was stopped. I think it was because of the greeter. He has seen me before and knows I carried.

Glad it went well. There are numerous threads that speak of less favorable experiences. I'm glad you were able to educate the people you came in contact with. Keep up the good work!

gf
    "A few well placed shots with a .22LR is a lot better than a bunch of solid misses with a .44 mag!" Glock Armorer, NRA Chief RSO, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Muzzleloading Rifle, Muzzleloading Shotgun, and Home Firearm Safety Training Counselor

4. I once read somewhere that Wal-Mart's main office stated that they are concealed carry friendly but not open carry friendly.

Of course, don't worry about opinion vs. law.

I have been told by a Wal-Mart Regional manager that they follow the laws of the state where the store is located.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight View Post
    I once read somewhere that Wal-Mart's main office stated that they are concealed carry friendly but not open carry friendly.

Of course, don't worry about opinion vs. law.
    A big + 1 on this, and it all goes back to what I and several others have said, keep it concealed, keep quiet about it, go about your business, and everthing will be cool, and for the record that greeter overstepped his authority, weather he new you or not, and I'm not disagreeing with your right to open carry, but at times its just not worth the possable hassel,

Most of the time I OC. I have been in the local Wal-Mart's store countless time both OC and CC.

I am always polite and friendly. I have only run into one nasty person, just lucky I guess.
    The Second Amendment is about the right to be able to protect oneself from all who would do us harm including Legislators! I came into this world screaming and covered in someone Else's blood, don't care if I go out the same way

IF WallyW had a policy, should'nt it have too be posted before walking into theirs stores? Just asking.....
    (All the above are MY opinions/suggestions ONLY....AND, I like to bust ball's, it's called having a sense of humor. In other words, no intent to offend anyone, so get over it)

9. Quote Originally Posted by charliej47 View Post
    He goes and gets the floor boss and explains why he is asking. The floor boss comes over and asks me if I had a license. I state yes but you do not need a license to OC.
    If you don't need to have a license to OC then you are confusing the person by answering that you do have a license. Your license is to conceal carry not open carry. Your answer should have been, "No I don't have a license because there is no such license needed to carry my gun." If the manager was so ill informed then you could have shown him anything and claimed that it was actually a license to carry. How would he have known the difference? You could have pulled out a coupon for 20% off at the local chinese resturant and claimed it was all you needed to carry your gun. Here's an idea. Just go home, fire up WordPad on your computer and print out your own Open Carry license with your name and a screenshot of yourself. Then have it laminated and carry it with you for times when you come across people like this in the future. Problem solved.
    OK, so that last bit was sarcasm but really, don't muddy the issue. "What do you mean, Do I have a license? What license are you refering to? Certainly if you are required to see a license you must know what one looks like and where I can get one?"
    I refer to these types of situations as "Law&Order" questions. It's when someone asks you something or assumes something becasue they have become conditioned by popular media such as cop dramas to expect it. They watch shows where the cops always ask someone "Do you have a license of this gun?" or the cops say something like "He has 2 guns registered to his name." Well, here in Louisiana, and many other states, we don't register our guns and we don't need a license to carry those nonregistered guns. So when some citizen asks me a L&O question I try to be clear and not cause further confusion.

10. Went to a Walmart for the first time while OC my 9mm on Sat. and amoung a few other items bought 100rds 9mm ammo, the guy showed me I read the price info wrong and hooked me up with a better deal on the ammo. Alltogether a pleasant experiance.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketgeezer View Post
    A big + 1 on this, and it all goes back to what I and several others have said, keep it concealed, keep quiet about it, go about your business, and everthing will be cool, and for the record that greeter overstepped his authority, weather he new you or not, and I'm not disagreeing with your right to open carry, but at times its just not worth the possable hassel,
    I disagree with your assessment to keep it concealed.

I open carry most of the time for a variety of reasons. Self defense is obvious, but also to inform others that not only is it legal in my state, but just because someone is carrying a gun doesn't mean that person is going to go on a shooting spree or do some other bad thing.

When I carry openly, I consider myself an OC ambassador. I'm more friendly, polite, etc.

BTW, I've been to various Wal-Marts around my area while open carrying and have never had a problem at all. Nobody has ever said anything to me, and I've only had one person (a child) even notice it.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast