Open carry in Massachusetts
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Open carry in Massachusetts

1. Open carry in Massachusetts

Hey folks, can I open carry in Massachusetts? Anyone out there try and if so how did if go. I have a concealed carry
    Thanks
    T

3. Quote Originally Posted by terrence P. lannon View Post
    Hey folks, can I open carry in Massachusetts? Anyone out there try and if so how did if go. I have a concealed carry
    Thanks
    T
    Open carry in Mass is actually against the law. Though I cannot cite it off the top of my head, I have seen the law where it states that it is illegal.
    Retired US Army Medic
    Proud Husband, Dad and Christian
    www.nationofshooters.com

This is not a personal flame so please don't take it as such.
    In general, I do not understand why members of the forum ask unknown persons what the law is in other states. In return you often get incorrect or misleading information from half informed or unknowledgable people with personal opinions to boot. I would not risk my legal status based on such.

If a person can post here, they can also do a first hand search to the said States Attorney General or a posted copy of the State Laws posted by the State FIRST HAND, instead of risking trouble with third hand misinformation. For instance, if the Police stop you for a gun violation, do you say "Joe on the forum told me it was OK." They will laugh while they apply the handcuffs. This is a great forum for gun knowledge, but when getting legal knowledge always read the original first hand.
    Help your own self - the Government is busy takin' care of itself!
    Retired LEO

Quote Originally Posted by Saltcreek View Post
    This is not a personal flame so please don't take it as such.
    In general, I do not understand why members of the forum ask unknown persons what the law is in other states. In return you often get incorrect or misleading information from half informed or unknowledgable people with personal opinions to boot. I would not risk my legal status based on such.

If a person can post here, they can also do a first hand search to the said States Attorney General or a posted copy of the State Laws posted by the State FIRST HAND, instead of risking trouble with third hand misinformation. For instance, if the Police stop you for a gun violation, do you say "Joe on the forum told me it was OK." They will laugh while they apply the handcuffs. This is a great forum for gun knowledge, but when getting legal knowledge always read the original first hand.
    I agree. Don't take what anyone here tells you as fact. You could end up kissing concrete.
    I see the OP is probably new here and maybe don't know how to use the site to obtain the information desired.

IMO, I don't know why anyone would want to open carry.

If you want to where legally permited, knock yourself out.

6. Massachusetts isn't a very gun friendly state. Even if it were technically legal, I wouldn't go around open carrying since I'm sure most officers aren't well informed if any such law exists.

In any case, opencarry.org is a good site to find open carry related laws. I was curious and looked at the map. It says that it isn't illegal for Class A permit holders to open carry in Massachusetts, but some jurisdictions will use it as an excuse to revoke licenses.

For other carry related laws, I love using handgunlaw.us.
    REPEAL THE UNCONSTITUTIONAL NATIONAL FIREARMS AND GUN CONTROL ACTS

Ohio has been an open carry state for years (not sure how many) but you can open carry.....You will still most likely be arrested for inciting panic though if someone complains. I find this situation more often than not in most states. I always carry concealed because 1) I don't want the element of surprise to be lost. 2) I don't want someone to try to get me into a confrontation over the laws of open carry. 3) The cops are usually not up with current laws about open carry. and 4) I'm not going to try to get someone to convert their beliefs about guns by openly displaying it hoping for a question and answer session. That being said good luck to you, and hope it works out fine.
    Last edited by THE DUKE OF ESSEX; 07-18-2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: spelling

I've looked at the laws and so far have not found anything that states it's illegal.

The way the law is written here in MA the Class A license is for the carry of firearms in a public way or place in a "concealed manner".
    Chapter 140: Section 131. Licenses to carry firearms; Class A and B; conditions and restrictions.
    "carry or possess a loaded firearm in a concealed manner in any public way or place"

I've been told that open carry is a good way to attract unneeded attention and could get a license revocation process moving against the individual who does it. The state grants a license vs. a permit. A license is granted with the stipulation that it can be revoked at any time. As the other poster stated MA is not "gun friendly" and is not known as a traditional "open carry state"...

The Cradle of Freedom"... Not any longer...

Peace...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Open carry in MA ??? Help

Quote Originally Posted by terrence P. lannon View Post
    Thanks
    T
    I have researched this to no end and have not found a clear law stating that it is illegal. I was then told that it is a vilation of :
    PART IV CRIMES, PUNISHMENTS AND PROCEEDINGSIN CRIMINAL CASES
    (Chapters 263 through 280)
    TITLE I CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
    CHAPTER 269 CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC PEACE
    Section 10 Carrying dangerous weapons; possession of machine gun or sawed-off shotguns; possession of large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device; punishment

Section 10 : # 6 2nd paragraph "No person having in effect a license to carry firearms for any purpose, issued under section one hundred and thirty-one or section one hundred and thirty-one F of chapter one hundred and forty shall be deemed to be in violation of this section."

So can anyone tell me if Open carry and or "printing" is illegal ?

Quote Originally Posted by Millman View Post
    I have researched this to no end and have not found a clear law stating that it is illegal. I was then told that it is a vilation of :
    PART IV CRIMES, PUNISHMENTS AND PROCEEDINGSIN CRIMINAL CASES
    (Chapters 263 through 280)
    TITLE I CRIMES AND PUNISHMENTS
    CHAPTER 269 CRIMES AGAINST PUBLIC PEACE
    Section 10 Carrying dangerous weapons; possession of machine gun or sawed-off shotguns; possession of large capacity weapon or large capacity feeding device; punishment

Section 10 : # 6 2nd paragraph "No person having in effect a license to carry firearms for any purpose, issued under section one hundred and thirty-one or section one hundred and thirty-one F of chapter one hundred and forty shall be deemed to be in violation of this section."

So can anyone tell me if Open carry and or "printing" is illegal ?
    I live here in this cesspool that is liberal MA. I skirt the line and have yet to have anyone make a big deal. Most of the sheep here are too busy looking at the grass to note the bulge. I carry as close to openly as possible. Cool to cold weather it's OWB with a full size M&P45 or a 4" barrel 357 revolver under open flannel shirt. Summer it's IWB with a M&P40c or Colt Officers .45 under just a tee-shirt.

I have yet to find any law written that states the open carry of a handgun by a person holding a valid unrestricted Class A license, is illegal in MA. As I indicated above, The description of the restrictions for a class B license has the line "however, that a Class B license shall not entitle the holder thereof to carry or possess a loaded firearm in a concealed manner in any public way or place".

None of the laws here indicate that open carry is legal or illegal. Furthermore, The restrictions that can be placed on the Class A and Class B license are in no manner documented as to indicate the extent of the restriction.

In short the gun laws here are in place to entrap the gun owner not protect anyone including the gun owner.

I'd rather slam my [email protected] in a car door than further subject myself to the gun laws here... Yea I know, Ouch...
    You can give peace a chance alright..

I'll seek cover in case it goes badly..

Thumbs down MA gun laws

Quote Originally Posted by 6shootercarry View Post
    In short the gun laws here are in place to entrap the gun owner not protect anyone including the gun owner.

I'd rather slam my [email protected] in a car door than further subject myself to the gun laws here... Yea I know, Ouch...
    That's one way to sum it up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast