Open carry in Florida - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Open carry in Florida

1. hi, I am new to this community. I have applied for my ccw license here in florida. I am and ex-police officer with 12 yrs expierence.
    I have been thinking of getting a ccw licence for a long time and I decided that it is the right time to do so. I do not like what our administration is doing to this country and our economy is going south rapidly. I am afraid that our country is headed for trouble .
    I question the idea of open carry. would you not lose the element of surprise ? would not concealed be a better option? your thoughts , please.
    rick
    in florida

I myself am a Florida resident but I got a GA weapons carry license, because I am in the Army and they consider us residents because of being stationed here. The law here is written that because I'm in the military I didn't have to get the license, but having that little piece of paper makes me feel better about it. I still want to get my Florida license but I have to wait until I get back from Iraq for good to really put the time into doing so. I was surprised the learn that GA is OC all the time. I just have never really seen anyone doing so. I am in a Suburb of Savannah away from the city and close to the ICW. I plan on retiring back in Florida which is a short 4 years away, which will put me at 24 years total service( I did do some time in the FL national guard when I got out of high school) I would like to see FL with the option on OC myself. I am an active voter and I am very glad the state is very good on sending my ballots and calling to let me know when elections are coming up. I fish a lot myself when I have the time, back on R&R I took the wife and kidding out flounder gigging north of Jacksonville.

4. Quote Originally Posted by GATORTAIL007 View Post
    hi, I am new to this community. I have applied for my ccw license here in florida. I am and ex-police officer with 12 yrs expierence.
    I have been thinking of getting a ccw licence for a long time and I decided that it is the right time to do so. I do not like what our administration is doing to this country and our economy is going south rapidly. I am afraid that our country is headed for trouble .
    I question the idea of open carry. would you not lose the element of surprise ? would not concealed be a better option? your thoughts , please.
    rick
    in florida
    There are well documented incidents of crimes being prevented by open carry. It only makes sense that a criminal will wait for easier prey to come along when they see that you are armed. I'm not trying to arrest anyone or work undercover. The "element of surprise" is less valuable to me than the deterrent value of being openly armed.
    Also unlike police, I don't go running in to situations where I am in close contact with criminals who are trying to keep me from arresting them. I want to avoid being in any situation with a criminal and most criminals want to avoid being in any situation with an armed citizen. Police officers do occasionally get disarmed by criminals, but the crook doesn't just walk up and, *yoink* pull the officer's gun. This happens during an altercation that an open carrier would avoid through deterrence and by virtue of not being in the business of going after bad guys.
    The only situation I can see where I would willingly inject myself into a situation with a criminal would be to protect someone's life. In that case, method of carry would not matter; the gun would be in my hand.

All of that said, I will still usually carry concealed. Walking around Downtown Disney while open carrying would make some of the sheepole nervous.

The biggest practical problem is that in Florida you can't do a lot of things where open carry would be the natural choice of method.
    Outdoor activities: hiking, bicycling, canoeing, horseback riding, etc... It's just not practical to conceal under clothing and gear during a lot of outdoor activities.
    Taking off your coat when you arrive at a restaurant, get in your car, or even at a friend's house are all currently illegal if it exposes your firearm.

Concealed Carry is not always a better option, Open Carry is not always a better option. Having an option would be the best option.
    Executive Director, Florida Carry, Inc.

Who might you want to surprise? If it is a criminal you are referring to; while openly packing, I doubt you would need to surprise a criminal...they would no doubt leave someone visibly armed alone.
    As far as getting permission from the government to conceal or openly carry; This violates my God given right to protect myself Wherever and however I see fit. A concealed weapons permit is laughable; criminals carry concealed all the time and they don't have a permit.

I went to the local sheriffs department to clear it with them about open carrying while fishing and the deputy that was helping me was more than willing to look up the laws and see what it said but the older (veteran) deputy had to put his $.02 in and told me that i would be stupid to do such a thing because if he was called out to a gun call they would have me at gunpoint on the ground and WOULD arrest me. I mentioned that he would have to have reasonable suspicion that i was breaking the law. in which his response was " i can do whatever i want whenever i want and all i have to say is officer safety, and there is nothing that can be done. I can stop anybody i want and frisk them at anytime, it would be a violation of your civil rights but my safety trumps your rights." i e-mail the sheriff this morning to get his take on the laws and am waiting on a response.

This is "The New World Order"

Yes, this is the police state we live in that is getting worse day by day. Instead of having police that are there to serve and protect our God given rights, they want to exert power over us (the innocent), dominate, and control by order of this government tyranny we are currently suffering. These are sick individuals that are picked to serve in these positions and are chosen because of their personality type that is so willing and derives pleasure employing the use of Gestapo tactics. What they aren't thinking about; is when this tyranny comes to an end, like in Nazi Germany; they too will not be able to use the Nirenberg defense like their jackbooted proto types of the past tried to use…and I will be most happy to see that trial!!

8. Quote Originally Posted by XDM40 View Post
    I went to the local sheriffs department to clear it with them about open carrying while fishing and the deputy that was helping me was more than willing to look up the laws and see what it said but the older (veteran) deputy had to put his $.02 in and told me that i would be stupid to do such a thing because if he was called out to a gun call they would have me at gunpoint on the ground and WOULD arrest me. I mentioned that he would have to have reasonable suspicion that i was breaking the law. in which his response was " i can do whatever i want whenever i want and all i have to say is officer safety, and there is nothing that can be done. I can stop anybody i want and frisk them at anytime, it would be a violation of your civil rights but my safety trumps your rights." i e-mail the sheriff this morning to get his take on the laws and am waiting on a response.
    That "veteran" deputy opens up his department and himself personally for a very expensive lawsuit. Arresting someone for lawful conduct, preforming an illegal search and seizure, color of law violation, etc... I hope you were just listening to a bunch of bravado from a deputy who was trying to show-off. If he actually acts that way in Florida... We have good lawyers.

You should be working with the County Attorney's office before approaching the Sheriff. What county are you in?
    Executive Director, Florida Carry, Inc.

Okaloosa

Quote Originally Posted by StogieC View Post
    You should be working with the County Attorney's office before approaching the Sheriff. What county are you in?
    so what should i be doing first, i just want to help educate the cops in this area on these guns laws so that i don't have a gun shoved in my face next time i go fishing

Quote Originally Posted by GATORTAIL007 View Post
    hi, I am new to this community. I have applied for my ccw license here in florida. I am and ex-police officer with 12 yrs expierence.
    rick
    in florida
    Then why did you open carry as a cop? Wouldn't concealed have been better?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast