Bad Encounter in Ohio - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bad Encounter in Ohio

McDonald's

There is a McDonald's and a BP convenience store that share a building close to where I live. There is no interior door seperating the two stores. The BP door has a sign, the McDonald's door does not.

Guess which door I use?

I would have covered it up (as asked) then got the officers badge number and followed up the next day wit his supervisor. No reason to get in a pissin' match with an officer.

Exclamation Bad Encounter in Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by TnGW1500se View Post
    I would have covered it up (as asked) then got the officers badge number and followed up the next day wit his supervisor. No reason to get in a pissin' match with an officer.
    I hate to say it Axe, but I agree with TnGW1500se 100%, you were wrong to have argued with him over something that silly! Open Carry is "supposed" to be legal in North Carolina also, but I know several LEO's and they will all tell you if someone complains, they've got to investigate. That is exactly what happened to you!
    MSgt, USAF (ret), Life Member - NRA, Life Member - NAHC,
    Life Member - NCOA, Member - USCCA, Member - NCGR,
    Member - Oathkeepers

5. Quote Originally Posted by TnGW1500se View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Hamberger View Post
    I hate to say it Axe, but I agree with TnGW1500se 100%, you were wrong to have argued with him over something that silly! Open Carry is "supposed" to be legal in North Carolina also, but I know several LEO's and they will all tell you if someone complains, they've got to investigate. That is exactly what happened to you!
    I am sorry, but I have to disagree. It's not arguing with a cop over something silly. It is preventing a cop from restricting a private citizen's rights based upon that cop's opinions and/or desires expressed under color of law. It boils down to an abuse of authority. Accepting such abuse of authority, even temporarily, is unacceptable in America.

In America, we cannot allow cops to push around law abiding citizens at their whim. What if the cop did not like the fact that a person was not caucasian? Would that be OK? What if the cop didn't like it if the person was Christian and wearing a big, fat cross necklace? Would that be OK? A gun is no different than a big, fat cross necklace.... both a perfectly legal items to wear, both are Constitutionally protected, and to say a person should just comply and follow up later goes against my oath (and I understand many don't take the oath):

to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic

and it should be against every American's duty as well.

Thank You NavyLT,

You said it much better and more civil than I wanted to..............

To those other 2 that you answered: You both either didnt listen to the audio, didnt understand it, or have absolutely NO CLUE what our rights are!

I did NOT argue with a cop/police officer, I refused to be bullied/pushed around by a thug who thinks he can do/say whatever he wants because he has a badge......

If you listen to the entire audio, he actually admits on it that he KNOWS that open carry is legal. He also knowingly LIED 100% that McDonalds is posted, and he did it on purpose just to try to intimidate me. I called him on it in front of witnesses, and he left, without giving me any warnings or anything.....! What does that tell you about whether or not he was acting within his actual authority???

Quote Originally Posted by Axeanda45 View Post
    Thank You NavyLT,

You said it much better and more civil than I wanted to..............

To those other 2 that you answered: You both either didnt listen to the audio, didnt understand it, or have absolutely NO CLUE what our rights are!

I did NOT argue with a cop/police officer, I refused to be bullied/pushed around by a thug who thinks he can do/say whatever he wants because he has a badge......

If you listen to the entire audio, he actually admits on it that he KNOWS that open carry is legal. He also knowingly LIED 100% that McDonalds is posted, and he did it on purpose just to try to intimidate me. I called him on it in front of witnesses, and he left, without giving me any warnings or anything.....! What does that tell you about whether or not he was acting within his actual authority???
    I'm not saying ignore the issue. I just think it could have not been escalated and handled in the morning.

handgonnetoter Guest
    I know some guys love it, and I really do support it, but I feel I would have to have a definate reason to carry out in the open myself. There seems to be so much in the way of loopholes in the laws that you may get by numbers one thru nine, just to get tripped up on number 10, and I damned sure don't want to give the state any reason to confiscate my firearm. Two thumbs way up for you guys with the b_ _ls to OC, but I will have to just keep on humbly carrying concealed.

9. This may be true in some states but here in Louisiana, Open Carry does not meet the legal requirements to have one charged with Disturbing the Peace. You can be arrested for anything, sure but it would be an illegal arrest. OCers have sued and won for arrests like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mpohio View Post
    I just completed my conceal carry class, in Central Ohio, and they(current and retired cop) addressed open carry. It is 100% legal, but they warned it only takes one "A-hole" to complain and then you can be charged with a number of charges including inducing panic, disturbing the peace and I can't remember the other two they cited. These cops were really cool and they knew and supported the law. but They said although you'll most likely win the court case, it will cost you. Their take was "out of site, out of mind" was better.

They also addressed the issues of signs not allowing firearms. It needs to be in open plain sight on all entrances. It can't be stuck in the middle of 10 other signs, so like the OP take pictures if an incident arises as it might save your butt in court!!
    Steve
    Secretary/Founding member
    Louisiana Open Carry Awareness League
    www.laopencarry.org

No news/info yet from the 911 center, and I will be out of town for a few days.....

I think you were right to stand your ground! I did listen to the tape more than once!
    Open carry is allowed in TN. also! My husband makes no effort to totally conceal his weapon but he don't out & out carry completely open either!
    We've been in places & have raised more than an eyebrows or two & gotten some looks from the law also! So far we've never been approached. I'm sure we will sooner or later run in to a know it all young rookie or an older one who thinks hes the LAW!!
    Its no surprise you've not found any help with the so called Higher Ups! Hope you can get the 911 call!
    Has others have posted keep at it & keep us in the loop!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast