Indiana Open Carry?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Indiana Open Carry?

1. Indiana Open Carry?

Where can I find a copy of the law that says that you can openly carry in Indiana? I have a friend on the local sherrif dept. that says it must be concealed. Please help. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by family5 View Post
    Where can I find a copy of the law that says that you can openly carry in Indiana? I have a friend on the local sherrif dept. that says it must be concealed. Please help. Thanks!
    Concealed or not concealed is not mentioned in the laws. Only that you must have the LTCH to have one in your possession when outside your home or business. It is a Licence To Carry Handgun, not CCW (or any of a dozen or so similar titles)

The better thing to do is to ask HIM where does it state it must be concealed...
    Last edited by starbasessd; 09-07-2010 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Added question
    N38 19' 56.52" W85 45' 8.56"
    Semper Gumby
    Ethics are what we do when no one else is looking.

If it is not prohibited by any statute,anything for that matter, it is allowed..
    For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan .When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

The Indiana Code does NOT address the method of carry, therefore one may carry concealed or open, but you must be in possession of a License to Carry a Handgun, in order to use either method.
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

6. re: Open Carry in Indiana

I used to live in Indianapolis, and worked security there. The sheriff or chief of police issues a License to Carry a Handgun. How you carry it is up to you. you have the option of carrying open or concealed.
    A man without a gun is a subject; a man with a gun is a citizen.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. You can keep THE CHANGE.
    An armed society is a polite society.

Quote Originally Posted by wuzfuz View Post
    I used to live in Indianapolis, and worked security there. The sheriff or chief of police issues a License to Carry a Handgun. How you carry it is up to you. you have the option of carrying open or concealed.
    The local authority begins the paperwork, forwards it to the State Police, and then the Superintendent of the Indiana State Police Issues the License.

IC 35-47-2-3
    Only when our arms are sufficient, without doubt, can we be certain, without doubt, that they will never be employed....... John F. Kennedy
    Life Member NRA Life Member Marine Corps League

Have friend show you where it says you must conceal.

I had an associate, a former LEO, notice one morning that I was carrying openly. Granted, I was standing on my property, but I'd met him elsewhere earlier, and he came over to my place for some business. He asked me why I was carrying that thing, and did I know that it has to be concealed? I told him that it didn't have to be. He tried to argue, so I whipped out my LTCH and asked him to show me where it said concealed on there. He looked it over (he's got his, too, but he wasn't carrying on his person, it was probably in his truck) and handed it back to me saying that it was implied. I told him that it's not implied, the law is silent on the issue. This means that the law doesn't specify, and that means that either is legal, since the law isn't what makes things legal (exclusive) but illegal (inclusive). He didn't quite know what to say on that, so he dropped it.

I know that this issue has been brought up before amongst the group of friends we're both associated with, so I'm surprised that he attempted to BS me. He's very pro gun and pro carry, but was ignorant on the issue, or not willing to hear the truth. I hope I changed that, not sure of it though.

There's a reason we have two completely separate professions which go by two completely different names. Lawyer. Police Officer.

Lawyers generally don't have years and years of training in how to investigate crimes, nor are they invested with powers of arrest.

Police Officers generally don't have years and years of training in interpretting the law, nor are they invested with powers of subpoena.

I would never ask a lawyer to arrest somebody, and I would never ask a cop to tell me what the law means.
    When they "Nudge. Shove. Shoot.",
    Don't retreat. Just reload.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyInBlue View Post
    There's a reason we have two completely separate professions which go by two completely different names. Lawyer. Police Officer.

Lawyers generally don't have years and years of training in how to investigate crimes, nor are they invested with powers of arrest.

Police Officers generally don't have years and years of training in interpretting the law, nor are they invested with powers of subpoena.

I would never ask a lawyer to arrest somebody, and I would never ask a cop to tell me what the law means.
    +1 for a brilliant post!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast