Wisconsin Carry, Inc fast-tracking lawsuit against Madison Police Department - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin Carry, Inc fast-tracking lawsuit against Madison Police Department

Wisconsin

This is part of the reason that I left WI .... that state can KMA .... you are allowed to open carry there but beware .... the LEO's WILL mess with you no matter what

As was said before when I lived there (born and raised) Wisconsin is actually IL .... basically a county of IL .... want things to change in WI .... they have to change in IL first

handgonnetoter Guest
    I would like to be a fly on the wall in that police department's station. I would like to know if they are that bad at knowing their own laws, or if they were just trying to "bully" those five people into doing something that they did not have to do? What a bunch of BS!

4. Wisconsin Carry, Inc filed a Federal lawsuit against the City of Madison and Madison

A copy of this lawsuit is available here

The City of Madison may not deny individuals the right to carry handguns in nonsensitive places, deprive individuals of the right to carry handguns in an arbitrary and capricious manner, or enforce its laws, customs and practices through its police department or impose regulations on the right to carry handguns that are inconsistent with the rights guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and Article I, 25 of the Wisconsin Constitution.

On Saturday, September 18, 2010, five (5) members of WCI met for dinner at a Culvers Restaurant in Madison, Wisconsin. Each of these individuals was openly carrying a handgun when they arrived at the restaurant, entered the restaurant and ordered and ate their meals. At or about the time that the WCI members finished their meal and left the restaurant, a woman in her car observed them openly carrying handguns and called 911 to report it to the City of Madison Police Department. The 911 caller informed the dispatcher that she didn't know if it was an emergency, the men were doing nothing wrong and appeared totally relaxed, weren't threatening anyone and the restaurant was full of people but they each had sidearms and she didn't know if that was legal.

Upon being informed by the 911 dispatcher that open-carry is legal the woman stated "then there is no problem and its not an emergency". The dispatcher then suggests that if the woman is concerned or disturbed then it becomes a problem and the woman says "no they weren't threatening anybody or acting threatening". When the dispatcher informs the caller they are sending officers she says "well I feel bad then because they weren't doing anything wrong"

Listen to the 911 call here:

As these WCI members left the restaurant, they were accosted by eight(8) City of Madison police officers, who demanded that they produce identification, and threatened that if they did not do so, they would be arrested. From the time that these WCI members arrived at the restaurant up to and including the time that the police officers confronted them and demanded that they produce identification or face arrest, none of the WCI members violated any law, nor were they involved in any violent, abusive, indecent, profane, boisterous, unreasonably loud or otherwise disorderly conduct, nor did they through their conduct cause or provoke any disturbance.

Wisconsin law does not allow officers to arrest for merely refusing to provide ID. 2 days later, Madison Police admitted the error in arresting and charging our members with obstruction, rescinded those tickets and instead, despite there being no disturbance, and no laws broken, issued disorderly conduct charges to all 5 of our members.

The Madison Police Department also issued a press release which relayed a department procedure which would violate the rights of law-abiding open-carriers who would choose to go legally armed for self-defense in Madison. The press release can be read here:

By arresting our members without cause and issuing a press release detailing a policy of violating the rights of other law-abiding open-carriers who should choose to carry in Madison, Wisconsin Carry immediately took action to file a lawsuit to prevent this chilling effect on the right to Carry in Madison. We look forward to the precedent this lawsuit will set.

Those who work, live, or travel to Madison are entitled to the same rights as the rest of the state. Wisconsin has a state and federal constitutionally guaranteed right to carry. Open-carry is the only legal way to carry in this state. Wisconsin's attorney general verified the legality of open-carry in a memo to all police chiefs and district attorney's in 2009. The City of Madison may not deny individuals the right to carry handguns in nonsensitive places, deprive individuals of the right to carry handguns in an arbitrary and capricious manner, or enforce its laws, customs and practices through its police department or impose regulations on the right to carry handguns that are inconsistent with the rights guaranteed by the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution and Article I, 25 of the Wisconsin Constitution.

The financial support from across the country extended to Wisconsin Carry which allows us the resources to file this lawsuit has been exceptional. On behalf of WCI, our members, and freedom minded Wisconsinites who embrace the right to carry we wish to offer a special thank-you to Buckeye Firearms Foundation.

BFF is a tax-exempt foundation which collected and matched donations from people across the country totaling over $7,500 through their website:

IF the Madison Policy of "Stop, Cuff, Seize, ID, ....well let's see, Disorderly" is allowed to stand, then this type of (no 4th amendment rights) policy could be used to attack "open carry" in EVERY STATE! The time to act is NOW!

The lawsuit filed on the 29th is seeking an injunction against the MPD to prevent them from implementing the stated policy.

Wisconsin Carry is a non-profit 100% volunteer organization dedicated to the protection and expansion of the right of law-abiding Wisconsinites to carry in the manner of their choosing; open carry or concealed carry.

good luck... lets get a win for us...
    "Loyalty to the country always. Loyalty to the government when it deserves it."
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." (Winston Churchill).

Good luck with your suit. Thanks for your defense of liberty. If the cops can issue a citation for the simple exercise of your constitutional rights, that is saying "exercising your rights is a punishable act."
    War to the Knife, Knife to the hilt.
    If we don't want to live in a trashy area, we all have to be willing to help pick up the trash.

I re-posted it here [http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...n-Police-Dept]

To help you raise money.
    A citizen who shirks his duty to contribute to the security of his community is little better than the criminal who threatens it.

Quote Originally Posted by fudfuwsi View Post
    This is part of the reason that I left WI .... that state can KMA .... you are allowed to open carry there but beware .... the LEO's WILL mess with you no matter what

As was said before when I lived there (born and raised) Wisconsin is actually IL .... basically a county of IL .... want things to change in WI .... they have to change in IL first
    Left Illinois a few years ago, now I have to run around "naked" when I visit family.. Ok so if I am not leaving the farm I am still armed. But if I go anywhere it is hard. How are You suppose to remember to drive 55 mph it feels like you could run faster, cruse control saves me money. They can pull you over and then if they do and you are armed...... I mean if it was the sheriff I went to school with I would be ok. But if it is a State LEO.. ChhaaChing.. Illinois gets more of my money, and I might even spend the night in jail, or worse yet loose my CCW. Which means It is not worth the risk.

Always remember you could loose your CCW for carrying where it is not legal in a black state.. That makes it not worth the risk, makes it not worth saying I do not care what they say, I am going to carry. A friend of mine carried in Illinois this weekend at the Biker rally. While I was glad he had his gun even if I didn't, I knew he was taking a risk. I felt bad for letting him take the risk alone.
    CrowSnake
    CCW Holder Mo. - NRA - USCCA - HOG
    .45 Taurus Millennium Pro PT 145 - Ruger LCP .380

Any update on this case?

Quote Originally Posted by S&W645 View Post
    Any update on this case?
    According to the stipulated schedule, a trial will not be held until after October 19, 2011.

11. So much for a speedy trial...
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem praeparet bellum. . .Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis. . . .Nemo me impune lacessit . . .Veritas vos Liberabit. . . .ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! . . . .Write, speak, do!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast