the "problem" with OC (and CC, really) - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: the "problem" with OC (and CC, really)

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman1911 View Post
    The "problem" with open carry is the perception of others. I don't see a thing wrong with open carry...that was the law in AZ for years. It seemed like everyone from the guy down the street, to the manager of the local Woolco carried. Good...good for them. Then as time went on and people started to flood into AZ from points east, who were never exposed to it had no clue what the law was, or had no idea that regular folk going about their business could carry a weapon.

I carry concealed most of the time...mainly for the sake of not wanting people to know I am carrying. Not because of a personal anti-open carry attitude, I just...and I hate this word...tactically prefer to keep it concealed against a gun grab. It's mostly a security thing. Yes, I know the weapon retention techniques drilled into me over the years as a cop...but the best retention technique in my opinion is not letting them know you are armed until you need to. Personal choice.

In the little fart of a town I live in....it seems like EVERYONE is open carrying...and frankly in my little town I carry open too. Though most everyone here knows me as a cop, though I am now retired...no one blinks an eye seeing someone carrying. Even Miss Eva...a 76 year old retired teacher carries her Colt Detective Special with her everywhere she goes. Good for her. She doesn't like to "Mess with a sweater...it's such a nice day today." Good for her.

BUT...when I get into Phoenix, Mesa, Scottsdale....basically out of my home area...I cover it up.

So really...the only "problem" is the perception of people around you...and IF they could be educated...that "problem" would go away. If the rest of "We The People" would see gun people as regular people who have taken the choice to be responsible for our own defense and our own safety, and not as right wing nuts with a gun...many many more would come over from the dark side.
    Don't care about anyone else's perception. BUT agree on the education of the Darksiders. As most of us know, the propaganda that has been disseminated about "GUNS" has skewed most of the general public's opinion. We can't over come that misinformation but if we show, by OC, then we start the normalization of OC'ing.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

3. Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman1911 View Post
    The "problem" with open carry is the perception of others. I don't see a thing wrong with open carry...that was the law in AZ for years. It seemed like everyone from the guy down the street, to the manager of the local Woolco carried. Good...good for them. Then as time went on and people started to flood into AZ from points east, who were never exposed to it had no clue what the law was, or had no idea that regular folk going about their business could carry a weapon.

I carry concealed most of the time...mainly for the sake of not wanting people to know I am carrying. Not because of a personal anti-open carry attitude, I just...and I hate this word...tactically prefer to keep it concealed against a gun grab. It's mostly a security thing. Yes, I know the weapon retention techniques drilled into me over the years as a cop...but the best retention technique in my opinion is not letting them know you are armed until you need to. Personal choice.

In the little fart of a town I live in....it seems like EVERYONE is open carrying...and frankly in my little town I carry open too. Though most everyone here knows me as a cop, though I am now retired...no one blinks an eye seeing someone carrying. Even Miss Eva...a 76 year old retired teacher carries her Colt Detective Special with her everywhere she goes. Good for her. She doesn't like to "Mess with a sweater...it's such a nice day today." Good for her.

BUT...when I get into Phoenix, Mesa, Scottsdale....basically out of my home area...I cover it up.

So really...the only "problem" is the perception of people around you...and IF they could be educated...that "problem" would go away. If the rest of "We The People" would see gun people as regular people who have taken the choice to be responsible for our own defense and our own safety, and not as right wing nuts with a gun...many many more would come over from the dark side.
    ^^^^^^^^What he said 100%^^^^^^^^^

4. Quote Originally Posted by Snowman1911 View Post
    Their perception is never going to change if they never see a normal American doing normal things in everyday life, who just happens to be visibly wearing a gun for self defense.

Otherwise, the only guns they are going to see are the guns the media and the Brady Bunch show them.... and we know those guns will not be on the belts of normal Americans engaged in normal everyday activities.

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Their perception is never going to change if they never see a normal American doing normal things in everyday life, who just happens to be visibly wearing a gun for self defense.
    That's the second reason I do it every day.
    One must be wary of the mentality creating the problem or the law creating the crime.

I love America and the Constitution, if you don't then get out!

As I see it the main problem with society and OC/CC is the media portayal the guns are bad unles they are in the hands of LEO's.
    I fear a government that fears my gun.

7. Quote Originally Posted by budone1967 View Post
    As I see it the main problem with society and OC/CC is the media portayal the guns are bad unles they are in the hands of LEO's.
    There's also the perception of some "pro-gun" people that guns visible to the public are bad as well.

There's also the perception of some "pro-gun" people that guns visible to the public are bad as well.
    sad but true
    I fear a government that fears my gun.

handgonnetoter Guest
    We see people get into their cars everyday and just think to ourselves "well, they are just driving somewhere". We don't think to ourselves "OMG, they are out to run people over"! Why is it that people seeing someone else carrying their gun and going about their business means to them that "OMG, they are out to shoot people"? I don't get it.

10. Quote Originally Posted by handgonnetoter View Post
    We see people get into their cars everyday and just think to ourselves "well, they are just driving somewhere". We don't think to ourselves "OMG, they are out to run people over"! Why is it that people seeing someone else carrying their gun and going about their business means to them that "OMG, they are out to shoot people"? I don't get it.
    More people are killed every year by cars than by guns. Where is the outcry to ban cars? I don't get it either.

More people are killed every year by cars than by guns. Where is the outcry to ban cars? I don't get it either.
    Or swiming pools. Youngsters are more likely to die from an accident realted to a swiming pool, than by a firearms accident.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast