FL Open Carry Bill Filed SB-234 - Page 3
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: FL Open Carry Bill Filed SB-234

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    We should all have the right to OC if legal to possess a firearm.
    +1 on that. I fail to see the bias against OC. Just like I fail to sea the bias against gay, lesbian and bisexual people serving in the military. (pun intended)

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    We should all have the right to OC if legal to possess a firearm.
    +2

But it doesn't mean that I'll do it all the time.

As for the Florida Senate Bill 234, it was the chair that pulled it temporarily. And it's his bill.

SB 234 and HB 517 in Florida

Although both of these bills are similar, HB 517 has gotten more traction and is about to be taken to the house for approval after a 14-4 Yay-Nay vote in Judiciary.
    I admit that even though the bill states open carry, since there are no details, I have read that it only pertains to accidentally printing or showing your concealed carry. I have read that it is to "open carry but not to carry openly" which I cannot understand at all.
    Can someone shed some light? Will we have true open carry in Florida even if it is only for the CWP holders?

Here is the link to the text of the bill. I read it and It seems easy enough to understand. If you are a CCW permit holder, you may also carry openly. The normal restrictions as to where still apply, although a couple of the restricted places have been removed or ammended.

Florida House Bill 517

Quote Originally Posted by G50AE View Post
    +1 on that. I fail to see the bias against OC. Just like I fail to sea the bais against gay, lesbian and bisexual people serving in the military. (pun intended)
    All the same I do not agree with allowing OPENLY flaunting your sexuality in the Armed Forces. Way to many distractions to a group this is supposed to Kill or be in support of those that are to Kill. Discipline to the NTH degree is required and cannot be maintained if everyone's distracted. AO's & AE's were nothing more then floating bordellos. Now they're wanting to add again another facet to this already biased force. Dam glad I'm out. (Off Active Duty, not the closet).

Sorry, not trying to hijack this thread. And yea, if your licensed to CC, you should be able to OC. YOUR choice.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." --author and philosopher Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

Quote Originally Posted by routereyes View Post
    Although both of these bills are similar, HB 517 has gotten more traction and is about to be taken to the house for approval after a 14-4 Yay-Nay vote in Judiciary.
    I admit that even though the bill states open carry, since there are no details, I have read that it only pertains to accidentally printing or showing your concealed carry. I have read that it is to "open carry but not to carry openly" which I cannot understand at all.
    Can someone shed some light? Will we have true open carry in Florida even if it is only for the CWP holders?
    My reading of both house's bills is that as long as you have the license, you will be able to open carry.

And if the state gets the problem with preemption corrected, where they can force the cities/counties to abide by the law that says only the state may make weapons laws other than the Feds. So much the better. Never make a law that you can't enforce with a penalty.

So what's going on with this bill? Did they pass it or decline it? Its been a week since it went to the yay or nayers.

9. Florida SB 234 just passed Senate Judiciary Committee withOUT and ammendments. Now on to the rules committee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 04/12/2011 5:00pm

On Committee agenda-- Rules, 04/15/11, 9:15 am, 110 Senate Office Building

How many more stops does this bill go thru till it becomes a law? By making it this far, does this bill have a good chance?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast