How do you open carry?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you open carry?

How do you open carry?

I live in a small town in southern Arizona ten miles from the border, I don't go anywhere without my side arm. I carry concealed if I am in or about town, but when I go out in the boonies I wear a tactical holster on my thigh.
    I don't open carry in town because I just don't feel the need, but today when I was reading through posts I got to wondering if most people that do open carry, carry discretely (paddle holster high on waist) or obviously (tactical thigh or cowboy etc) and what impact it has on your open carry experience.
    What do you have to say?

OWB 3 to 3:30 with a Blackhawk Serpa retention holster.

I use a Bianchi retention holster RS and a spare mag on the left and I go about my business as if the gun didn't exist.

The majority of people don't notice
    See, it's mumbo jumbo like that and skinny little lizards like you thinking they the last dragon that gives Kung Fu a bad name.
    http://www.gunrightsmedia.com/ Internet forum dedicated to second amendment

I OC with waist holsters only. I find no one really notices most of the time, when they do it is no big deal.

XD 40 in a black hawk serpa at about 330ish. Polo type shirt tucked in or if fishin usually a coors light t shirt untucked but pulled up around the weapon. I have found that when I use my OWB holster if I leave my shirt over it than the weapon gets caught in the shirt during a draw. Ive had weird looks and even been asked to leave the mall (they have a "sign" but it isnt binding in GA) I've even been told by some teens that I am not a cop, I replied with your correct and went on my business.

I will note that I have OC in Helena, MT after speaking with the local sheriff about local laws. He informed me that Helena only goes on state laws but asked me to CC because they would get ALOT of MWAG calls, and have to question me than. Guess how many times I was even approached by someone, yup NONE! I OC because its more comfortable and easier when I wear a polo shirt plus you actually have an advantage over CC. I dont let where I am going determine how I carry but how I am dressing/feel will determine it.
    "The purpose of war is not to die for your country. The purpose of war is to ensure that the other guy dies for his country." - General Patton

I use a OWB Blackhawk Sepra Paddle holster at my 3 o clock level 2 retention. Stays close to your body so its still easy to conceal if youre wearing a longer shirt or jacket.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier....One died for your soul; the other for your freedom.

So far these posts go along with what I was thinking:
    That if you carry a gun the same way that you carry a knife on your belt or clipped to your pocket, meaning its just something you have with you and not something you are making a central focus, mostly no one gives it a second thought.
    But if you went out looking "tacticool" or with some huge showy hand cannon strapped to your side, I would guess people would be a little more concerned.
    Seem about right?
    Last edited by gdubyacobb; 01-08-2011 at 12:13 PM. Reason: missed a thought, it happens often

My girl, Daisy, is a bit more obvious, though.

I usually only OC on my Bike. It's @ 4 o'clock and the mag holster @ 9 o'clock in front of the leatherman. As you know we can OC just about anywhere in Az. My favorite grocery store actually appreciates the fact that some of their customers OC, Hell we stand in the isles takling to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by zukpilot View Post
    I usually only OC on my Bike. It's @ 4 o'clock and the mag holster @ 9 o'clock in front of the leatherman. As you know we can OC just about anywhere in Az. My favorite grocery store actually appreciates the fact that some of their customers OC, Hell we stand in the isles takling to each other.
    I can see where the grocery store owner appreciates you being there. <G>
    I am really curious about the OC in Arizona. What is your best guess on the percentage of folks that actually take advantage of that law there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast