Non resident open carry in MI
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Non resident open carry in MI

Non resident open carry in MI

Hi I am new here and after some searching around still haven't found the answer to this. Can some one from out of state(WI) open carry in MI? More specifically to camp grounds/while hiking up in Lake of The Clouds area and places like that.

3. Here's some info.

This is the info from Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States, 2008 edition, by J. Scott. Kappas. Esq.

Please keep in mind that I am not a lawyer. The author is, but the following statement must not be used as legal advice. Still, you had best consult with a firearms attorney in Michigan.

Quote:

Open carry: unrestricted under state law: however, very uncommon except in rural areas.

Close Quote

You might want to Google any Michigan-based firearms forums, or perhaps lawyer firearms Michigan.

My personal opinion: if it is very uncommon, you will be hassled. The local police, if they cannot charge you with a firearms offense, will find some other statute with which to charge you.

handgonnetoter Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by v65magnafan View Post
    This is the info from Traveler's Guide to the Firearms Laws of the Fifty States, 2008 edition, by J. Scott. Kappas. Esq.

Please keep in mind that I am not a lawyer. The author is, but the following statement must not be used as legal advice. Still, you had best consult with a firearms attorney in Michigan.

Quote:

Open carry: unrestricted under state law: however, very uncommon except in rural areas.

Close Quote

You might want to Google any Michigan-based firearms forums, or perhaps lawyer firearms Michigan.

My personal opinion: if it is very uncommon, you will be hassled. The local police, if they cannot charge you with a firearms offense, will find some other statute with which to charge you.
    Thats a big 10-4 on that one. My permits allow me to carry concealed in Michigan, even though I live in Indiana, but I would not push that open carry issue if I did not live in that state.

I really don't know where this site got this Opinion.
    You being from WI you will need to get an out of state carry license and can OC only here.

750.234d (2) This section does not apply to any of the following:... (c) An individual licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.

Some states you can get an out of state license are Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Iowa, Florida and Utah.

Important update be sure to read ahead post #22 (No pistols from WI in MI

Important update: be sure to read ahead post #22 (No pistols from WI in MI)

Thanks for the info. I will have to look into the OC permit then.

Quote Originally Posted by hyrczyk View Post
    Thanks for the info. I will have to look into the OC permit then.
    States will have CC or CC/OC permit. So don't be confused no one will have an OC permit.

Mich laws are strange our OC law says you need a CC permit to OC if your a non resident.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Eagle View Post
    States will have CC or CC/OC permit. So don't be confused no one will have an OC permit.

Mich laws are strange our OC law says you need a CC permit to OC if your a non resident.
    How does this work if your state (WI) doesn't have a CC permit? I thought a non resident you couldn't get a CC in MI.

Quote Originally Posted by hyrczyk View Post
    How does this work if your state (WI) doesn't have a CC permit? I thought a non resident you couldn't get a CC in MI.
    Correct you can not get a permit from Mich. thats why I listed Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Iowa, Florida and Utah.

This thread may answer some of those questions too:
    http://www.usacarry.com/forums/illin...ident-ltc.html

11. Quote Originally Posted by hyrczyk View Post
    Hi I am new here and after some searching around still haven't found the answer to this. Can some one from out of state(WI) open carry in MI? More specifically to camp grounds/while hiking up in Lake of The Clouds area and places like that.
    You can open carry or conceal carry in Michigan if you have a license or permit to carry in your home state. With a non resident permit you may only OC.

When OCing with a non resident permit you must follow MCL 750.2345d. Make sure you fully understand this law. It refers to all firearms not just handguns. The biggest part to pay attention to is that you can not possess a firearm on the premises of ANY place that sells alcohol. This means bars, Krogers, Walmart, gas stations. If you have a concealed permit issued by your state this law does not apply to you.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(5hd...e=mcl-750-234d

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast