Open Carry in Georgia with or without Magazine? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Open Carry in Georgia with or without Magazine?

  1. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    Yes, a license is required to open carry. Without a license it must be enclosed in a case and unloaded.

    TITLE 16. CRIMES AND OFFENSES
    CHAPTER 11. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY
    ARTICLE 4. DANGEROUS INSTRUMENTALITIES AND PRACTICES
    PART 3. CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS

    O.C.G.A. 16-11-126 (2011)
    (h) (1) No person shall carry a weapon without a valid weapons carry license unless he or she meets one of the exceptions to having such license as provided in subsections (a) through (g) of this Code section.
    Exactly on the money LT ! Current Georgia law does require a GWL to carry
    (other than the exempts).

    btw - if you have questions, stop over at GeorgiaPacking or visit the GCO
    folks mannning the booth at nearly every gun show.
    Life Member GeorgiaCarry.org http://www.GeorgiaCarry.org

  2.   
  3. Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceGAtl View Post
    Wow... I open carry about 70% of the time (not supposed to carry at all
    at work) because there are a few places that are just too crowd for ME to be
    comfortable with my gun exposed. I have NEVER had anyone call the cops
    on me nor have I had an officer "freak-out" because they saw that I was
    carrying. I DO carry a pocket full of GeorgiaCarry.org cards to attempt to educate
    the ones that take exception of seeing my gun.

    Last night several of us went to dinner at the Golden Trough (Corral to most
    folks) and we were all open carrying. All I got was one person asking if I was
    a police officer and several asking about obtaining their GWL.
    Having said that.. if you read the posts over at GeorgiaPacking.org , not
    EVERY encounter goes perfectly, but more and more... it is becoming less
    and less of an issue.
    That's cool, I am in Cobb County and I just could not see myself open carry around here... I do have a GFL so I just conceal it... the law seems backwards to me, you need a GFL to hide a weapon or carry one on your side even though you bought it legal and it's your 2nd Amend right to own one yet we have to pay 80 bucks (now) for a GFL and get on a list.... We need Constitutional carry here, the way the founders wanted it...

  4. So according to this "(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license." you can have a gun in your car with it loaded without a GFL and you are safe? Does it have to be visible or in the glove box? Seems like you could have it on you in the car without a GFL but when you leave your car you have to take the gun off (without a GFL)?

    This is why I went ahead and got my permit, the laws are just confusing and there are too many of them, I also wish the GFL lasted 10 years...

  5. Oh yea, one more thing, see these laws just restrict us law abiding people, the criminals don't care about these laws. This is what drives me NUTS!

  6. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Zander_SIG View Post
    So according to this "(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license." you can have a gun in your car with it loaded without a GFL and you are safe? Does it have to be visible or in the glove box? Seems like you could have it on you in the car without a GFL but when you leave your car you have to take the gun off (without a GFL)?

    This is why I went ahead and got my permit, the laws are just confusing and there are too many of them, I also wish the GFL lasted 10 years...
    Heheh... a bit on the confusing side true.. yes - w/o a GWL you can in
    in fact have your gun (even loaded) in your car, IF as stated above you are
    not prohibited from having a gun at all (think convicted felon). You can also
    have it w/o a license in your home and your place of business (assuming that
    the business owner doesn't have an issue with it).

    It used to be worse, more confusing, more places that your couldn't carry..
    THIS is why I am a member of GeorgiaCarry.Org (GCO). Their successful
    efforts to get SB308 passed last year went a long way to making the mazes
    of laws and clauses easier to understand. I support their continued efforts
    to work with the Legislature to preserve and extend our 2A rights in Georgia.
    As much as we say the second amendment is a basic right and cannot be
    infringed upon... we have seen it over and over in too many states to ignore.
    There will always be someone to try and infringe on our rights, in the futile
    belief that the next law is the one that criminals will respect.

    I am anxiously awaiting the Legislative session to get fully underway this
    year to see what we can accomplish and know that my voice is carried to
    the General Assembly, not only by me, but by an organization with a proven
    record of accomplishment and the support of thousands to my fellows here
    in Georgia.
    Life Member GeorgiaCarry.org http://www.GeorgiaCarry.org

  7. Sb308

    Quote Originally Posted by BruceGAtl View Post
    Heheh... a bit on the confusing side true.. yes - w/o a GWL you can in
    in fact have your gun (even loaded) in your car, IF as stated above you are
    not prohibited from having a gun at all (think convicted felon). You can also
    have it w/o a license in your home and your place of business (assuming that
    the business owner doesn't have an issue with it).

    It used to be worse, more confusing, more places that your couldn't carry..
    THIS is why I am a member of GeorgiaCarry.Org (GCO). Their successful
    efforts to get SB308 passed last year went a long way to making the mazes
    of laws and clauses easier to understand. I support their continued efforts
    to work with the Legislature to preserve and extend our 2A rights in Georgia.
    As much as we say the second amendment is a basic right and cannot be
    infringed upon... we have seen it over and over in too many states to ignore.
    There will always be someone to try and infringe on our rights, in the futile
    belief that the next law is the one that criminals will respect.

    I am anxiously awaiting the Legislative session to get fully underway this
    year to see what we can accomplish and know that my voice is carried to
    the General Assembly, not only by me, but by an organization with a proven
    record of accomplishment and the support of thousands to my fellows here
    in Georgia.
    Yea, I have been a member of GACarry for almost 2 years now. I kept a close eye on SB308 and I am glad it passed. Say, I posted a question on GA Packing if you think you can help me? Thanks all for the replies! Here is the link.. Firearm Discussion • View topic - Who should I contact about bills?

  8. #17
    I saw that...

    Mountainpass put you in the correct path..

    Didi you go to State of Georgia - Voter Information
    to determine your General Assembly Senate and House districts ?
    the tutorial he pointed to gets you to the information step by step.

    Georgia Carry : An information clearinghouse for Georgia Firearms License issues and news Georgia Legislative Page
    Life Member GeorgiaCarry.org http://www.GeorgiaCarry.org

  9. #18
    ok i say it one more time you can have it on your side but not have the maz inside the gun.

  10. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by bro.bryant View Post
    ok i say it one more time you can have it on your side but not have the maz inside the gun.
    Assuming that you DO have your GWL (formerly GFL) you CAN carry
    a LOADED weapon Open or Concealed.


    If you do NOT have you license AND are not prohibited from owning,
    you CAN have your gun IN your car and YES - it CAN be loaded.


    Georgia is NOT (Thank you Lord..) California
    Life Member GeorgiaCarry.org http://www.GeorgiaCarry.org

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Houston Metro Area, Texas
    Posts
    3,004
    Are you allowed to carry a CLUB, because an unloaded gun is nothing but a club, since it is unloaded I am not sure it meets the standard of a GUN.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Quantcast